What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2021: Andrew McCullough and Brisbane Broncos in stalemate over St George Illawarra offer

Sporting News
9 hrs ago

The stand-off between Andrew McCullough and the Brisbane Broncos is reportedly set to come to a head as the veteran hooker looks to end the uncertainty over his long-term future.

McCullough’s 260-game career with the Broncos looked over when ex-coach Anthony Seibold pushed him out of the club during last season’s COVID-19 hiatus.

The 31-year-old signed a one-year deal with the Newcastle Knights as an injury replacement for Jayden Brailey.

He played eight games for the Novocastrians before his 2020 season ended with a hamstring injury suffered in Round 11 against Canterbury.

McCullough had earlier been linked with a move to the Bulldogs that didn’t eventuate and instead chose to take up an option in his favour to return to the Broncos for the 2021 season.

He is now a man in demand with new St George Illawarra boss Anthony Griffin aggressively pursuing McCullough, who he coached for four seasons at Red Hill.

The Dragons have reportedly offered McCullough a three-year deal to make an immediate move to Wollongong.

Meanwhile, it was last week suggested the rake is a contender to captain the Broncos in the upcoming campaign under new coach Kevin Walters.

But as first reported by Channel 7 News Brisbane on Tuesday night, McCullough is seeking either an immediate release from the Broncos to join the Dragons or a contract extension to remain at Red Hill.

Channel 7 reporter Chris Garry said at this stage Walters and the Broncos are holding firm and are yet to accede to the veteran’s demands.

McCullough is seeking security, with the Dragons reportedly offering $1.8 million over three seasons.

The Broncos are at this stage unwilling to release their most experienced player after claiming last year’s wooden spoon.

Meanwhile, the Saints are desperate to get their man after hooker Cameron McInnes last week signed a four-year deal to join arch-rivals Cronulla in 2022.

The McCullough saga is another headache for rookie NRL head coach Walters after star forward Payne Haas was on Monday suspended for the first three games of the campaign and fined $50,000 over his recent run in with police.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/new...eorge-illawarra-offer/ar-BB1dxvD6?;ocid=wispr

Dragon David

First Grade
The funny thing is, we let Cam go and ( if this report is correct ), we may not even get AM.

o_O
Wouldn't you think that the Dragons would have signed somebody who they wanted well and truly by now?

Too much dilly dally in my opinion and we as usual look embarrassed to the world with our novice and indecisive negotiating skills.

boardlumps62

Juniors
How would McGinnes feel. Being told he is not wanted because he doesn't suit Hooks style as a hooker. Brings McCullough from Broncos over paid and over aged where does that put McGinnes. I'd say he goes to Sharks earlier that proposed. Don't like it at all.

TruSaint

Referee
Wouldn't you think that the Dragons would have signed somebody who they wanted well and truly by now?

Too much dilly dally in my opinion and we as usual look embarrassed to the world with our novice and indecisive negotiating skills.

Mate, I have no idea whats going on to be honest.

I thought after announcing Cam had left that AM was a done deal ?

goldiesaintz

Juniors

True.

Maybe the board were not all pulling in the same direction at seasons end and have now recently caved in to rectify the situation. With the new season almost upon us, we have certainly done things the wrong way round and it may yet bite us on the backside.

Looks like we now need to pay overs to get McCulloch here when all we had to do is not ignore the hooker we have just lost. Sometimes, its hard to see the forest for the trees.

Dragon David

First Grade
Mate, I have no idea whats going on to be honest.

I thought after announcing Cam had left that AM was a done deal ?
You would think this wouldn't you TruSaint? But as usual we seem to put the cart in front of the horse most of the time and the horse can only go backwards which is how I see us going in getting anyone.

be55

Juniors
Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous in your entire life...

I wonder what the "cult of hook" are going to say about this one if it is true?...

What an absolute joke!

Shaft your 27 year old captain and our best and fairest for the last two seasons, because he wanted a 4 year deal, to sign a 31 year old, busted, over the hill, has-been to a 3 YEAR DEAL worth $600000 a season...

$600000 a season for McCullough...are Hook and the rest of them on crack

I thought Hook was supposed to come in and fix this circus up but he's proving that maybe he might be the biggest clown of all...

TruSaint

Referee
Have you ever heard of anything more ridiculous in your entire life...

I wonder what the "cult of hook" are going to say about this one if it is true?...

What an absolute joke!

Shaft your 27 year old captain and our best and fairest for the last two seasons, because he wanted a 4 year deal, to sign a 31 year old, busted, over the hill, has-been to a 3 YEAR DEAL worth $600000 a season...

$600000 a season for McCullough...are Hook and the rest of them on crack

I thought Hook was supposed to come in and fix this circus up but he's proving that maybe he might be the biggest clown of all...

100% agree.

Edit:- if all true.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'm trusting 100% in Hook's judgment so if it is AM to lead the team around the park fine with me.
CC
Agree. The ongoing narrative of losing our ‘Captain’ and best player’ ...despite being a fine achievement is somewhat paler, due to the average squad we’ve had over the past two years; certainly not the strongest that have played for us and in reality not too much competition coming from these two areas

Media over playing these two points.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
If Hook signs AM on 600K a year for 3 years then everything has been a lie. All the BS about being patient and not buying for the sake of buying etc is all just BS. This is a panic buy and a terrible one at that.
AM is worth signing at 350K for 2 years.
If true, a huge mistake IMO.
From potential Broncos captain to out the door — Dragons on verge of signing McCullough
BRONCOS

f1e686ae522ee8b50fbdeea7e761e35b

Andrew McCullough looks to be on his way to Wollongong.Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra is reportedly on the verge of securing veteran hooker Andrew McCullough ahead of the 2021 NRL season kick-off.

The Courier Mail reports the Broncos will likely grant the 31-year-old a release after he gave the club an ultimatum to extend his contract or let him walk to the Dragons.

The news comes despite reports McCullough was in the frame to captain the Queensland club this year.

McCullough is signed to Red Hill for this year but the club can’t guarantee him a deal beyond that, and he wants security.

Last year he was loaned to Newcastle before a serious hamstring injury ended his season prematurely.

The Dragons can offer him a two-year deal and he would rejoin former coach Anthony Griffin in Wollongong, although wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot in the team.

“Like a lot of our players who are off-contract, we want to see them play some football and then we will go from there,” Broncos coach Kevin Walters told the Courier Mail.

“Andrew is no different. I want him to play the football I know he is capable of and if he does that, he puts himself in the frame to get a new deal.

“We’re going to have a meeting about his future and to be honest I’m not sure where it’s going to end... I’ve made it clear I want to keep Andrew.

“We’ve had some discussions and I want to keep him here this season, he’s a Broncos legend.

“I know how I feel about it and I want him to stay. He has a big role to play under me and he has a contract with us for this season.”

NRL news: Andrew McCullough, Broncos contract, Dragons signing, salary, team Round 1 | Fox Sports

So it seems to be a two year deal. I also believe it is at 450k p/a. which is about what McInnes is on now but much cheaper than the salary the Sharks have offered him.

I support the move and believe if Griffin can get him, it will be McCullough (c) and Lomax (vc).

Crush

Coach
From potential Broncos captain to out the door — Dragons on verge of signing McCullough
BRONCOS

f1e686ae522ee8b50fbdeea7e761e35b

Andrew McCullough looks to be on his way to Wollongong.Source: Getty Images
St George Illawarra is reportedly on the verge of securing veteran hooker Andrew McCullough ahead of the 2021 NRL season kick-off.

The Courier Mail reports the Broncos will likely grant the 31-year-old a release after he gave the club an ultimatum to extend his contract or let him walk to the Dragons.

The news comes despite reports McCullough was in the frame to captain the Queensland club this year.

McCullough is signed to Red Hill for this year but the club can’t guarantee him a deal beyond that, and he wants security.

Last year he was loaned to Newcastle before a serious hamstring injury ended his season prematurely.

The Dragons can offer him a two-year deal and he would rejoin former coach Anthony Griffin in Wollongong, although wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot in the team.

“Like a lot of our players who are off-contract, we want to see them play some football and then we will go from there,” Broncos coach Kevin Walters told the Courier Mail.

“Andrew is no different. I want him to play the football I know he is capable of and if he does that, he puts himself in the frame to get a new deal.

“We’re going to have a meeting about his future and to be honest I’m not sure where it’s going to end... I’ve made it clear I want to keep Andrew.

“We’ve had some discussions and I want to keep him here this season, he’s a Broncos legend.

“I know how I feel about it and I want him to stay. He has a big role to play under me and he has a contract with us for this season.”

NRL news: Andrew McCullough, Broncos contract, Dragons signing, salary, team Round 1 | Fox Sports

So it seems to be a two year deal. I also believe it is at 450k p/a. which is about what McInnes is on now but much cheaper than the salary the Sharks have offered him.

I support the move and believe if Griffin can get him, it will be McCullough (c) and Lomax (vc).
You believe it is 450K? I must of missed that.
Hunt will be captain.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If the Broncos don't release Macca for 1.8 million they are A holes, if we sign him for that we are idiots. 200k extra and we could have got McInnes for 4 years. If we sign McCullough for 3 years that will near be me done. We already have one massively overpaid Brisbane player don't need another. Im beginning to have serious doubts about Hook unfortunately. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now as this could be all part of the media's agenda against him but we have some super good juniors atm probably the best batch since the Morris boys, Cooper, Gasnier and co all come through, it is very important we don't stuff this up.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
Re - possm post .........

"The Dragons can offer him a two-year deal and he would rejoin former coach Anthony Griffin in Wollongong, although wouldn’t be guaranteed a starting spot in the team.

“Like a lot of our players who are off-contract, we want to see them play some football and then we will go from there,” Broncos coach Kevin Walters told the Courier Mail."

Has someone changed the deal?