What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

betcats

Referee
I think you're absolutely right. Thing is I don't think we get Napa. They'll never give up a rookie for an origin rep. The Ogden/Wakeham or even Lewis would be more realistic.

Yeah you probably right but I think they have to more realistic than we do tbh. If Burton is doing his job we dont have to release him, we are free to make unrealistic demands and see if they will cave. If Burton was kicking stones etc i'd be looking to get what I can and move on but Blade has said yesterday he is fine at training, we get plenty of value out of him as a back up for a year.

WestyLife

First Grade
Yeah you probably right but I think they have to more realistic than we do tbh. If Burton is doing his job we dont have to release him, we are free to make unrealistic demands and see if they will cave. If Burton was kicking stones etc i'd be looking to get what I can and move on but Blade has said yesterday he is fine at training, we get plenty of value out of him as a back up for a year.

Yeah I assume he'll get some game time as well. I sure as hell would be more comfortable relying on Burton than any of the others if push came to shove and we had injuries.

WestyLife

First Grade
Nearly every player that signs with another club 12 months before their current deal ends is always subject to an early release. It is joke.

Yet here we are in a stale mate over one player. Surely this isn't spite like the dogs fans think and we have a plan for burton.

I think May will be the 5/8th but you need to have another organiser. I don't know if May/Luai over a few games would work. The odd game of course

How I see it. I'd take Burton in a big game for his kicking etc.

mxlegend99

Referee
Yet here we are in a stale mate over one player. Surely this isn't spite like the dogs fans think and we have a plan for burton.
I would imagine he's:

First choice backup half.
High up pecking order for replacement centre
High up pecking order for utility

Plus he's on a small contract with us and it's damn near impossible to improve our squad if we lost himand it doesn't help us keep anyone if we let him go early either.

There's nothing to gain unless we get a player who improves our squad. It's not spite. It's doing what's best for us.

Whare, Mansour, Hetherington, Tetevano etc. Help us keep guys like Luai, Yeo, Leniu etc.

We let go of big money players and only added minimum wage or thereabouts players.

Hooked

Juniors

Clubs usually methodically plan when buiding rosters (except the Dogs) I am sure Burton's role and value in the squad for the upcoming season has been planned to some extent. Back up half in case something happens to our starters. Utility off the bench in case something happens to May, and a possible starting centre.
He could also force his way into our 17 somewhere with strong performances in reserve grade, if he started the season there.
Late last year we heard of the immense value of players like Burton in opposing training drills.
That is something that can't be easily replaced. Sure Salmon and May can fill in, but both would offer different styles.

It really is rude for to be demanding a release a month out from the start of the season.
Also it shows a lack of respect to Averillo.
The whole off season the Dogs have spent training Averillo and Flanagan together with the rest of their squad. To suddenly change this late in the pre season before a ball has been kicked is piss poor.
It is not as if their halves are Maurice Blair and Luke Lewis.
They have numerous options this season in the halves.

Black Magik

Juniors
The whole off season the Dogs have spent training Averillo and Flanagan together with the rest of their squad. To suddenly change this late in the pre season before a ball has been kicked is piss poor.
It is not as if their halves are Maurice Blair and Luke Lewis.
They have numerous options this season in the halves.
By the sounds of it the Bulldogs aren't doing any halves training. They are waiting for the arrival of Burton!

Latest posts