What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Dragon David

First Grade
I n my opinion,the only time that the top players would even consider joining the Dragons is when the current powerhouse clubs such as the Storm, Roosters, Souths and so on become bottom of the table clubs for some considerable period which is very unlikely. Their brands will continue to be strong due to good management.

As BSE has said a club like ours that is steeped in history and once a club every other player wanted to join (even the Stewart Boys wanted to come to the Dragons but we were only interested in Brett so they decided to go to Manly) has changed and nobody of any significance wants to join now.

It's up to the Dragons PR Department together with everyone else associated with the joint venture to go out every week to promote the Dragons. Bring the name back to what it meant and have pride in the RED V by all players. We have to have a winning culture branded into the squad and junior players. Have a never give up attitude.

Simon

Juniors
Given we have 2 spots left (3 pending DeBelin) and not much left on the market, I hope the club are checking in on George Burgess.
He’s been released from Wigan but needs to rehabilitate his hip and wants back to Aus.
We need mongrel in the middle and if fit could be an asset. I’ve got no idea if he’s ready or not, but if he is hopefully we are looking at him.

goldiesaintz

Juniors
When you look at the roster we had in the forwards in the mid 2000s.....Smith, Costigan,Young, Weyman, Saffy, Creagh, Scott etc....plenty of go forward and plenty of mongrel.....you realise just how much we have slipped

Yes, tough forwards who were more worried about crunching an opposing player rather than having a giggle & a joke with them as they walk off after the game.

Maybe l'm old and senile but it would seem every generation of player are getting softer as the decades roll on. How l yearn for a match where the older forwards would give a young upstart a friendly bunch of fives as they entered the scrum. Nowadays, its a marshmallow push & shove, followed by a tattoo comparison square off.

Dragon David

First Grade
When you look at the roster we had in the forwards in the mid 2000s.....Smith, Costigan,Young, Weyman, Saffy, Creagh, Scott etc....plenty of go forward and plenty of mongrel.....you realise just how much we have slipped
Give me these guys, especially Scott, any day. They were instilled with a never say die attitude built by the likes of Bennett. Our backs killed it when these forwards controlled the engine room.

possm

Coach
Give me these guys, especially Scott, any day. They were instilled with a never say die attitude built by the likes of Bennett. Our backs killed it when these forwards controlled the engine room.
I'd say we need to poach a ra ra international forward if we want a decent replacement for Frizell in 2021. Surely our recruitment team can secure such a player. They should have done this by now.

Dragon David

First Grade
I'd say we need to poach a ra ra international forward if we want a decent replacement for Frizell in 2021. Surely our recruitment team can secure such a player. They should have done this by now.
Exactly. What are they waiting for?

denis preston

First Grade
With the exception of maybe half a dozen players, sadly that squad will end the coaching career and aspirations of Anthony Griffin.
No Leader, poor spine & piss weak pack. It will take a coaching miracle by Hook & associates to avoid the cellar.
Sooo, if he gets us 12 - 15th then he is a success in your eyes ?

denis preston

First Grade

Gippsy

Bench
Well more like a 200k pay cut but a 300k third party deal !

Yep, don't kid yourselves. Players are not going to drop $200k. Players will stay with the likes of Storm and Roosters for less than other clubs because they are "creative" in finding other sources of income for them. And, it looks like the Dogs might be up to their old tricks again as well.

It's always about the money.

Gareth67

First Grade
No not in my eyes, but that seems to be on a par score of what the previous 7 year Peanut of a coach could achieve. I’d be tipping our BOD would claim it a success.

That may well be the case Coffs , but Griffin himself will not consider it a success . In fact he will probably be pretty much pussed-off , not only with the players , but also himself .

denis preston

First Grade
Pretty simple really. The Players have no excuses now the peanuts have been moved on. Perform or perish. Even Hunt if he doesn't match up ( perhaps a subsidised contract elsewhere ) Best case scenario everybody gets on board and plays to their reputation or if not, a bigger cleanout than initially expected. Players like Simms , Vaughan , Debellin if he comes back need to fire and Kerr & the other forwards need to show improvement or at least hold their own. Lot of ifs there but that is our season in a nutshell.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Yep, don't kid yourselves. Players are not going to drop $200k. Players will stay with the likes of Storm and Roosters for less than other clubs because they are "creative" in finding other sources of income for them. And, it looks like the Dogs might be up to their old tricks again as well.

It's always about the money.
..and the fact that those clubs regularly play in Finals football which keeps them in the representative spotlight etc..

Maddragon99

Juniors
..and the fact that those clubs regularly play in Finals football which keeps them in the representative spotlight etc..
Who’s actually running recruitment at the moment? Millward or Hook? We’re starting 2021 short of a top 30 & surely under the cap. Looking ahead to 2022 we’ll be getting Norman’s & McInnes’s money back on the books surely we’ll be active in the market for a couple of premier players. I’m starting to get frustrated.

Pretty simple really. The Players have no excuses now the peanuts have been moved on. Perform or perish. Even Hunt if he doesn't match up ( perhaps a subsidised contract elsewhere ) Best case scenario everybody gets on board and plays to their reputation or if not, a bigger cleanout than initially expected. Players like Simms , Vaughan , Debellin if he comes back need to fire and Kerr & the other forwards need to show improvement or at least hold their own. Lot of ifs there but that is our season in a nutshell.
If everyone "...plays to their reputation..." we are screwed. The only way we have a good season is if people play way beyond their reputation. The squad on paper is a bottom 4 team.

possm

Coach
Who’s actually running recruitment at the moment? Millward or Hook? We’re starting 2021 short of a top 30 & surely under the cap. Looking ahead to 2022 we’ll be getting Norman’s & McInnes’s money back on the books surely we’ll be active in the market for a couple of premier players. I’m starting to get frustrated.
Millward is officially the recruitment manager but has to work within a committee which includes Horan and Webb.
I would say that we have plenty of cap still in the kitty right now and will have a substantial amount more for the 2022 season as surely we would let some deadwood go.

I suppose the club is waiting to see what happens with De Belin before lashing out.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Millward is officially the recruitment manager but has to work within a committee which includes Horan and Webb.
I would say that we have plenty of cap still in the kitty right now and will have a substantial amount more for the 2022 season as surely we would let some deadwood go.

I suppose the club is waiting to see what happens with De Belin before lashing out.

Finally found the quote I was looking for from Ben Haran re recruitment responsibility and alas my grey matter is showing signs of decay.

Contrary to my previous post, Millward is Recruitment Manager (doesn't state that he's doing retention so don't know who's responsible for that) and works with Haran and Griffin on that. Webb is not involved.

BLM01

First Grade
Finally found the quote I was looking for from Ben Haran re recruitment responsibility and alas my grey matter is showing signs of decay.

Contrary to my previous post, Millward is Recruitment Manager (doesn't state that he's doing retention so don't know who's responsible for that) and works with Haran and Griffin on that. Webb is not involved.
Yep...He never has been.

Latest posts