What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jack Bird

Maddragon99

Juniors
If that was to happen it transforms our side completely.
Bird is lacking match fitness which is why I think he’s playing in the centre’s. He won’t get enough touches there so I think his skills are wasted. I suspect once he regains full match fitness he’ll move closer in either at Lock or 5/8

possm

Coach
EXCLUSIVE: Andrew Johns tips St George Illawarra Dragons recruit Jack Bird to make No.6 jersey his own
By Zachary Gates - 8 hours ago
This week on Freddy & the Eighth, Andrew Johns and Brad Fittler take us inside their summer hoildays, Benji Marshall to the Rabbitohs and the Dragons hopes for 2021.
Legendary halfback Andrew Johns believes prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird will make a permanent switch to five-eighth in season 2021, declaring the new rules have presented the boom Dragon a prime opportunity as a playmaker.

Bird has been named in the centres for the Dragons' season-opening clash with the Sharks at Kogarah Park on Sunday, with Adam Clune set to play five-eighth and Ben Hunt set to wear the No.7 jersey.

While Corey Norman won't play in Round One as he's been slapped with a one-match ban for his involvement in a street fight, the former Bronco and Eel is expected to steal the No.6 jersey from Clune in Round Two.

Johns said Bird, who throughout his career has spent brief periods at five-eighth and has mainly played in the centres, has the running game to make the No.6 jersey his own.

Round 1

Warriors
VS

Titans
NRL 2021: Round 1Mt Smart StadiumSaturday March 13th, 4:00 am

Round 1

Roosters
VS

Sea Eagles
NRL 2021: Round 1Sydney Cricket GroundSaturday March 13th, 6:30 am

"Jack Bird looked strong (in the trials). I think eventually he'll end up in the No.6 this year, with the new rules and the quicker ruck," Johns told Wide World of Sports' Freddy and The Eighth.

"I don't think you need two ball-players in the halves. You need a dummy-half who can ball-play and then a running five-eighth."

A six-again call must now be awarded for 10-metre infringements, a rule introduced to reduce stoppages in the game, increase fatigue and ultimately make for a faster and more free-flowing game.

The NRL introduced a similar rule during last year's competition suspension in a ploy to quicken the game, whereby a six-again ruling is made in the event of ruck infringements.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1dc2e5f0-7210-4255-b656-ed2253f0b1b3

Prized St George Illawarra recruit Jack Bird has a lot of heavily lifting to do this season. (Getty)
However, Bird is yet to play a premiership match under either of those rules as he suffered an ACL rupture just two days before Round One of the 2020 season.

Although Johns has high praise for Bird, who made five State of Origin appearances for the NSW Blues across 2016 and 2017, he expects the Dragons to again struggle this season.

"I saw them twice (over the pre-season). I saw them in a trial against Parramatta and they were really poor, and then I saw them in the Charity Shield where they were so far off the pace," Johns said.

"So between the Charity Shield and Round One they have to improve lengths and lengths to compete against the Sharks. They always get up for that local derby, but from what I saw in the two trials they are in for a long season. They will be battling down in that bottom four.

"Good luck to the Dragons. I wish them well."
Souths have shown us that trial form means little when it comes to performance in round 1.

possm

Coach
Bird is lacking match fitness which is why I think he’s playing in the centre’s. He won’t get enough touches there so I think his skills are wasted. I suspect once he regains full match fitness he’ll move closer in either at Lock or 5/8
I suppose it could very well be that we end up with:
6. Bird
7. Sullivan
9. Hunt / McCullough

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Bird will play lock once his fitness is there and hopefully with JDB back in time he will move into the back row. This will enable bird to move around and play either side with JDB being the ball distributor. The addition of Jack if he does become available will change the complete set up of our side the the good.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Let's pray he stays injury free.

A great buy, we just need a few more like him.
I agree we need a couple more solid performer's to add to our roster....not asking to much but bodies like Munster and Pappa from Storm and Taumalolo from Cowboys would do

Latest posts