What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Bulldogs [THE MATT BURTON CUP]- Bankwest Stadium 3pm Sat

Doesn't get tossed around granted but post contact metres, Tackle busts etc also give an indication

Too much upper body weight could compromise his speed. Little guys can succeed, they’re just not going to do it the way others do. I’m thinking guys like Barba, Slater, Pepenhuyzen. None of these guys are big on tackle busts, they run around guys.

franklin2323

Immortal
Too much upper body weight could compromise his speed. Little guys can succeed, they’re just not going to do it the way others do. I’m thinking guys like Barba, Slater, Pepenhuyzen. None of these guys are big on tackle busts, they run around guys.

Throw in JAC in that. All were slower to get their start hell 18 months ago Storm kept Papenhuyzen because no other club would take him.

I think he will be a star but will take longer than some other guys. To'o even had a solid stint in NSW Cup because debuting. He is one guy that will feel losing the lower grades last year

Girds89

Bench
I'd say he drove to Penrith because he was paid to do so. As I said, he is considered a success at Penrith because he turned us from a club with a winning ratio well below 50% to one with a winning ratio above 50% and regular finals appearances by getting the development pathways in order. That was his aim. That was all he needed to do to be regarded as a successful operator. By the way he lives in the Sutherland shire, not the North Shore. Do some research before you troll.

Troll? Haha im not the one who made a ridiculous comment. Gus didn't say we would win a premiership in 5 years because his aim was just to get a win percentage above 50%.

Girds89

Bench
Throw in JAC in that. All were slower to get their start hell 18 months ago Storm kept Papenhuyzen because no other club would take him.

I think he will be a star but will take longer than some other guys. To'o even had a solid stint in NSW Cup because debuting. He is one guy that will feel losing the lower grades last year

That's all I've been trying to say. If he comes out the rest of the year and kills it, great. If not and he continues the way he is I think some nsw cup time will be great for his development.

Girds89

Bench
And there isn’t enough evidence to say Staines needs that. You’re judging him off two games, with a completely new right side.

I named him in my 17 for next week in the other forum. All I've said is that I think if he doesn't improve than nsw cup development will be good for him.

I named him in my 17 for next week in the other forum. All I've said is that I think if he doesn't improve than nsw cup development will be good for him.

There’s no one else even remotely close to his ability available, so not exactly a big call.

You also said all his tries last year were just catch & fall over the line, but that’s just wrong.

Billy Slater debuted at 19 and never got dropped.

Ryan Pepenhauzen debuted at 20 and hasn’t been dropped

Josh Addo Carr was a regular FG at 20

Ben Barba was a regular at 20

not sure how that’s slow to get a start...

All either the same age as Staines or younger.

Girds89

Bench
There’s no one else even remotely close to his ability available, so not exactly a big call.

You also said all his tries last year were just catch & fall over the line, but that’s just wrong.

He showed a glimpse of what he is capable of last year in his 2 games, was very exciting. Im sure he will be fantastic and hope he gets time in the nrl side to show whst he is capable. It won't be bad for his development though if he struggles to go back down for a bit. Will only benefit him in the long run.

CCJohnC

Juniors
He showed a glimpse of what he is capable of last year in his 2 games, was very exciting. Im sure he will be fantastic and hope he gets time in the nrl side to show whst he is capable. It won't be bad for his development though if he struggles to go back down for a bit. Will only benefit him in the long run.

Wait to when it's a dry tract. You cannot beat sped.

Girds89

Bench

Not all players come on and develop at the same pace as others though. 3 of those 4 came through under Bellamy, the greatest coach ever in nrl known for getting the absolute best out of players.

I hope Staines kills it this week!! Be nice to see the right side get more involved.

franklin2323

Immortal

Slater debuted on the wing. Then Fullback, Back to centre then to Fullback again

Papenhuyzen. Started on the bench took injury to get him the original start worked his way into the side

JAC played 9 Games for WT in 2016. Debuted in Round 7 so spent time in NSW Cup after his debut

Barba played 4 games in 2008. Then went back to NYC in 2009 he started on the bench and worked his way up

None were a walk up start and got moved around and finally found a spot that was theirs

Original Name

Juniors
Regarding Staines, I get the feeling the IC is easing him into first grade. I know our right side has new faces and doesn't have the comradery of our left side attack but we make next to no attacks down our right side. Even one set play from the Bulldogs game was to use some of the left side players to attack down the right side.
The only work Staines seems to get is kick returns and the odd hit up from deep in our own territory.
Were is the early ball to him in our own 20 to get around a compressed defensive line are la Sharks game last year.
Where are the deep kicks to his side to keep the opposition near there own line like NSW do with the Fox.
Is the club worried about his hamstring or are they not confident in his ability?
Either way you can guarantee the Storm/Fox will be testing him come Thursday night.
It's been wet when we played and in the wet Staines can get pushed over the sideline from 10 metres infield by any opposing winger except Ramsey.

hindy111

Post Whore
This is my guess.
The coach during the off season would notice who is ready and who is going to have a big season. I doubt it would be a surprise for them.
They would see guys who are a little faster,fitter,stronger then normal and how handle it as to wether they'd be ready or not.
And with the older guys they would also notice the same in decline. Same goes for Mansour. It wouldn't of been one off season but the last few where they could see declines in train drills. And this is how they would make decisions.

But he’s not struggling. That’s the point.

You brought it up because you think he’s struggling, but it’s two games with a totally new right side combo.

Latest posts