What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Vs Bulldogs [THE MATT BURTON CUP]- Bankwest Stadium 3pm Sat

Pomoz

Bench
This is my guess.
The coach during the off season would notice who is ready and who is going to have a big season. I doubt it would be a surprise for them.
They would see guys who are a little faster,fitter,stronger then normal and how handle it as to wether they'd be ready or not.
And with the older guys they would also notice the same in decline. Same goes for Mansour. It wouldn't of been one off season but the last few where they could see declines in train drills. And this is how they would make decisions.
There is now so much data available recording the player's performance, it would stand out like dog's balls when you are on the decline. They monitor body fat, weight, km's run in training, speed across the ground, number of high speed sprints, weights lifted and reps and so on. They might even take blood samples now to measure cortisol and iron levels.

In his first few games in SOO, everybody bagged Cleary but Fittler kept picking him. One of the reasons was the data that showed how many km's he run and how many he sprints he made. He made more effort than any player on both teams. The one percenters that make the difference between winning and losing.

There is literally nowhere to hide now. With GPS and the CCTV recording training, if you are slacking, you will be found out. Which is why it amazes me that BJ Leilua is still picked in first grade for the Tigers. You don't need data to four decimal places to see he is in decline. He got run around so many times by the the Roosters yesterday he must have got dizzy. The mind boggles at what his training times look like. They must measure his 40m sprint times using a sun dial and record it using time lapse photography to save on film.

Slater debuted on the wing. Then Fullback, Back to centre then to Fullback again

Papenhuyzen. Started on the bench took injury to get him the original start worked his way into the side

JAC played 9 Games for WT in 2016. Debuted in Round 7 so spent time in NSW Cup after his debut

Barba played 4 games in 2008. Then went back to NYC in 2009 he started on the bench and worked his way up

None were a walk up start and got moved around and finally found a spot that was theirs

Debuted on the wing? Sounds like someone we know...

The wing is the perfect place for Staines to find his feet in first grade, I’d understand this talk if he genuinely looked out of place but he doesn’t. No one is suggesting Staines go straight to fullback or anything.

Not all players come on and develop at the same pace as others though. 3 of those 4 came through under Bellamy, the greatest coach ever in nrl known for getting the absolute best out of players.

I hope Staines kills it this week!! Be nice to see the right side get more involved.

I was talking about their size, not their ability. Point being they weren’t out of place in FG because of their size.

Girds89

Bench
I was talking about their size, not their ability. Point being they weren’t out of place in FG because of their size.

Slater was the greatest fb of all time.
Paps is an absolute freak and in the next few years be pushing teddy for Australian #1
JAC got a lot better after Bellamy got him to add 4/5 odd kilos to his frame.
Barba was a freak. If he'd kept of the grog could've been anything.

Yes their ability meant they weren't out of place in fg because of size but they are 4 pretty special players you are referring too. But that has nothing to do with Charlie. How Charlie develops will be determined by himself and the club. I hope he kills it and he deserves time to establish himself.

BxTom

Bench
Billy Slater debuted at 19 and never got dropped.

Ryan Pepenhauzen debuted at 20 and hasn’t been dropped

Josh Addo Carr was a regular FG at 20

Ben Barba was a regular at 20

not sure how that’s slow to get a start...

All either the same age as Staines or younger.
Some fellow named Cleary debuted at 19...

Smug Panther

First Grade
Slater was the greatest fb of all time.
Paps is an absolute freak and in the next few years be pushing teddy for Australian #1
JAC got a lot better after Bellamy got him to add 4/5 odd kilos to his frame.
Barba was a freak. If he'd kept of the grog could've been anything.

Yes their ability meant they weren't out of place in fg because of size but they are 4 pretty special players you are referring too. But that has nothing to do with Charlie. How Charlie develops will be determined by himself and the club. I hope he kills it and he deserves time to establish himself.
No one is pushing Teddy

Original Name

Juniors
Really? I’ve never seen this happen to him before, he’s way to smart for that. I think you are just making this up.
Well yeah because he wouldn't take someone on one on one down a sideline in wet conditions. That's just stupid unless you've got an awesome palm off or something. If you're a defender you want a player taking you on the outside in the wet so they can more easily slide over the sideline.

Well yeah because he wouldn't take someone on one on one down a sideline in wet conditions. That's just stupid unless you've got an awesome palm off or something. If you're a defender you want a player taking you on the outside in the wet so they can more easily slide over the sideline.

So, in other words, you haven’t seen Staines get pushed over the sideline from 10 metres infield right?

There is now so much data available recording the player's performance, it would stand out like dog's balls when you are on the decline. They monitor body fat, weight, km's run in training, speed across the ground, number of high speed sprints, weights lifted and reps and so on. They might even take blood samples now to measure cortisol and iron levels.

In his first few games in SOO, everybody bagged Cleary but Fittler kept picking him. One of the reasons was the data that showed how many km's he run and how many he sprints he made. He made more effort than any player on both teams. The one percenters that make the difference between winning and losing.

There is literally nowhere to hide now. With GPS and the CCTV recording training, if you are slacking, you will be found out. Which is why it amazes me that BJ Leilua is still picked in first grade for the Tigers. You don't need data to four decimal places to see he is in decline. He got run around so many times by the the Roosters yesterday he must have got dizzy. The mind boggles at what his training times look like. They must measure his 40m sprint times using a sun dial and record it using time lapse photography to save on film.

BJ finally dropped.

Latest posts