What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rd3: Eels v Sharks GAME DAY THREAD @ BankWest Stadium 27/3

eels_fan

First Grade
Niukore has been fantastic but I would question how exposed he be laterally and speed wise on a dry track against the likes of Penrith, Rabbits, Roosters & Storm.

He has done more than enough to stay there for now, but I think his long term role is still up front, and we’re probably kidding ourselves to think we won’t lose a forward at some point and require him to play there

strider

Post Whore
I would read very little into how our edge defense performed from last nights game ... they had their entire backline out of whack from about 20 mins into the game ..... prior to that we got exposed on a scrum .... and exposed on the other side and were lucky to shut it down and not concede a second try (think sharks butchered it a bit tbh)

eel01s

Bench
Yeah that scrum move from Cronulla was perfectly executed. I wish we had plays like that. We kept trying Gutho running to the right to pass to Nuikore, who ran the crash line. No variation.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Waqa was the worst defending centre last year. Ran out of the line like a headless goose each and every time the play went down his side. All this while moses improved his defense.

To support your theory, how’d waqa go when Moses was out with his calf injury?
Well we had a top three defence all year so I reckon everyone did their job. Our defensive structure means that the defenders outside Moses will be the ones under most pressure when the attack eventually forces an overlap. You might have (but probably haven't) noticed that we've conceded most of our tries on the left this year, including against Brisbane when Waqa Blake played.

strider

Post Whore
Yeah that scrum move from Cronulla was perfectly executed. I wish we had plays like that. We kept trying Gutho running to the right to pass to Nuikore, who ran the crash line. No variation.
I reckon we pre-planned that - to have the largish Niukore run at the smaller dude who was meant to play #4, and I believe it would have been his first game at centre, usually a half - but he ended up playing mostly fullback and Niukore was running at another edge forward

IFR33K

Coach
Well we had a top three defence all year so I reckon everyone did their job. Our defensive structure means that the defenders outside Moses will be the ones under most pressure when the attack eventually forces an overlap. You might have (but probably haven't) noticed that we've conceded most of our tries on the left this year, including against Brisbane when Waqa Blake played.

Our defensive structure is most under attack when waqa rushes out of the line, and tackles nothing but thin air. I’m not sure which games you’re watching, as the majority here, if not all (except you) think that our edge defense issues is because of waqa.

Avenger

Immortal
Our defensive structure is most under attack when waqa rushes out of the line, and tackles nothing but thin air. I’m not sure which games you’re watching, as the majority here, if not all (except you) think that our edge defense issues is because of waqa.
:100: He has been a dud and we have lost no thing with him out of the side. I’d try and offload him.

yy_cheng

Coach
We kept trying Gutho running to the right to pass to Nuikore, who ran the crash line. No variation.

I reckon that was an awesome play. Hit marata over and over.

Then 1 play, drown went himself and almost got through

Another, if gutho didn't pass and dummied, he probably would've got thru

So that marata play was also setting up for a future play.

When i saw the gutho one, it reminded me of bert.

Bert would've dummied and swerved and reached an arm out to score

eels_fan

First Grade
Yep, keep going to Marata and then the winger starts jamming in because it takes 2 to stop him. Then you got the cutout ball and fergo goes over. There was some opportunities for that play last night but we missed it

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Before Moses went off, I was frustrated that our shape still looked clunky. Tackle 4 and 5 plays are not even in the same ballpark as the bunnies. I know it’s hard when you compare with the best, but we struggle to put centres and wingers in space and the repeat set from grubber is an underused skill. It’s only when Gutho drops in that we are hitting the ball with pace and putting their edge on their heels.
1. Mitchell
6. Walker
7. Reynolds
9. Cook

They should have the best ball movement. Is our spine even half as good as theirs?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My usual morning after ramblings.

I reckon Kafusi's PCM would be an impressive stat, same with Lane to a lesser extent, thought he made better than his usual metres last night
PCM per carry:
5.7 Kaufusi
5.5 Papali'i
5.1 Lane
4.4 Campbell-Gillard
4.3 Stone
4.0 Paulo
3.5 Nrown
3.3 Hipgrave

How good is Fergo when he gets some f**king ball, and how much better is our right side defense with Niokore at centre
Also Dylan Brown defending three in rather than Moses.

Latest posts