What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Signings

davi

Juniors
I think Reynolds stays with Souths but he is playing the game to try and get 3 years and not 1 year

Souths surely wouldn't be stupid enough to let one of the better halves in the comp go to the market

I understand that they are weary of handing out big contracts after the Sam Burgess mistake. I just wouldn't put Adam Reynolds in the same category by offering him a extra two years. Apparently there cap is tight which is understandable. But I'm not sure it was wise by offering a massive deal to Jai Arrow if there wasn't enough money around to keep your halfback.

I will say though its good to see Souths are being more cautious. There has been alot of contract clunkers that have come back to bite clubs. And clubs need to be more cautious when handing out these deals.

AJB1102

First Grade
If its fully funded by the NRL grant then it's not making good use of that money by paying $635,000 for a player not playing for your team.

Sure but it's that or $1.6m to play him in reggies for the final 2 years. Are they blowing $635k or cutting their losses and repurposing $965k?

I don't think there's much in this rumour anyway. Surely Dragons don't have the cash and if they do, could spend it better.

davi

Juniors
Sure but it's that or $1.6m to play him in reggies for the final 2 years. Are they blowing $635k or cutting their losses and repurposing $965k?

I don't think there's much in this rumour anyway. Surely Dragons don't have the cash and if they do, could spend it better.

It's not recouping $965,000 the Sharks have already paid five months of his salary. Each club would have to go halves paying $635,000 for the remaining contract (1.27 mil).

Anthony Milford is on a million this year. We all know he is not playing like it either. The Broncos really can only just bite the bullet and wait for the contract expire this year. And make the best of a bad signing by try and get him firing. I can't see why the Sharks can't do that as well with Fifita despite his injuries struggles considering Fifita wants to play first grade.

MugaB

Coach
I understand that they are weary of handing out big contracts after the Sam Burgess mistake. I just wouldn't put Adam Reynolds in the same category by offering him a extra two years. Apparently there cap is tight which is understandable. But I'm not sure it was wise by offering a massive deal to Jai Arrow if there wasn't enough money around to keep your halfback.

I will say though its good to see Souths are being more cautious. There has been alot of contract clunkers that have come back to bite clubs. And clubs need to be more cautious when handing out these deals.
Extending Johnston and signing Josh Mansour wasn't good business, doing one but not both, especially since halfbacks at any clubs are rare and super valuable, everyone jibbers about fullbacks and 2nd rowers, but a good halfback and strong props, are what every premiership club needs first, then a hooker, then any rookie can fill any other position after that

Mark B

Juniors
Extending Johnston and signing Josh Mansour wasn't good business, doing one but not both, especially since halfbacks at any clubs are rare and super valuable, everyone jibbers about fullbacks and 2nd rowers, but a good halfback and strong props, are what every premiership club needs first, then a hooker, then any rookie can fill any other position after that
Liked the loyalty with Johnson but Mansour made no sense. Should have let the Tigers get him.

blaza88z

Coach
Mansour hasn't been the same player since he did his ACL, he will always be first grade standard but he gets beaten aerially quite often these days.

MugaB

Coach
Mansour hasn't been the same player since he did his ACL, he will always be first grade standard but he gets beaten aerially quite often these days.
Gets beaten on speed too, i do love his passion and effort, but he should have been a centre by now, wing is way too fast for him

MugaB

Coach
He doesn't have the defensive nous to be a centre. Or speed to make up for it.
True, but if he tried to learn it like 2 or 3 years ago, maybe panthers probably would have held onto him, but he was too expensive for just an aging winger, the only exception i would see there is brett morris, but there isn't many experience wingers you'd pay large amounts for, not when a rookie can fill in and that money could go towards your spine players

mistertaylor

Juniors
I really really really hope the Cowboys don't sign Brooks. We need a half back that can take us to the finals, and he ain't it.

Adam Reynolds, on the other hand...

I really really really hope the Cowboys don't sign Brooks. We need a half back that can take us to the finals, and he ain't it.

Adam Reynolds, on the other hand...

Cows need a roster clean out - the new coach has a massive job on his hands if he survives that is in this result driven business

MugaB

Coach
Cows need a roster clean out - the new coach has a massive job on his hands if he survives that is in this result driven business
Not really, i know coen hess, and jorden mclean are a bit overrated, they just need more guys like Josh Maguire, journeymen to stiffen up their middle defence, the loss of gavin copper (all effort) and matt scott are huge towards leadership there, and Big JT has been carrying that team for years now, i feel a few more toilers are needed, your backs also just need to learn how to catch a ball, but thats fatigue under pressure too, pressure you wouldn't have under better pack of forwards..
You guys won the sevens last year so yeah your backs are fine.. but todd payten needs a james tamou, keegan hipgrave or a ray stone, under valued players that just tackle everything, and aren't there for the highlight reels

mistertaylor

Juniors
I have faith in Payten to turn us around, he has swung the axe for this week and it'll be interesting to see how Hampton goes in the 7 and how Hess responds to being dropped to the bench (if he doesn't run hard and tackle everything that moves when he gets on the field, drop him altogether).

Latest posts