What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Burns

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Blacker won't be ready for FG for at least a few years, he's got some pretty major flaws in his game that he needs to completely turn around.

Sometimes people see a big body and automatically think they're a superstar. To the people who think he'll be a world-beater, I really struggle to see how you've come to that conclusion based off what you've seen so far. In fact, I don't actually think you've seen anything of him other than his gym photos.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Usually he's more of a hole runner but he has shown the ability to kick, call for grubbers through to the try line to score a fair few times and I've seen him throw at least two cut passes for tries. Maybe a player with too many options and at times. It's pretty short but you see a bit of it here. In most of this he's playing right backrow but in most of the games I've watched him he's usually played left.
I think he'd form the best combo running outside Corey Norman.
If you watch Jackson Fords NSW cup highlights though he looks like a superstar to be fair. I think he was even the leading tryscorer in the comp one year. He just hasn’t nailed first grade yet. I’d still have Ford ahead at this stage.

possm

Coach
I'm not happy losing Blacker, the kid could be another Brad Thorn, a real enforcer. He wasn't given a chance in 1st grade.
I won't second guess Hook's motives though as he's done a miraculous job so far but I don't want to see another Bennett type demolition of the club a couple of years from now of lost juniors and a return to coaching jobs for the boys all in the name of buying ourselves a pennant.
In a similar way to the deal with Bennett, Griffin has been given a very short contract with a brief to turn the ship around so, time is of the essence. Griffin has a good understanding of what he needs to do this job and is going about it in the right way.

Blacker is a long term project and as a prop is a part of the Dragons squad that needs instant improvement. Kepping in mind that when Griffin arrived the team was performing very poorly with no substitute identified for the departing Frizell, I'd say something need to be done and Burns is a very economical solution.

I have no doubt that Kerr will continue to improve and hope that Ford will regain form in the same way that other forwards like Vaughan and Sims have lifted their game but it seems that Blacker is two to three years away from first grade and Griffin does not have the time for that project.

I am really looking forward to seeing hor burns fits in and at the same time looking forward to the recruitment of Fifita and McGuire who should bring that hard head factor to our forward pack.

betcats

Referee
Don’t worry if there is a first grade player in Blacker this current Penrith setup will find it, if he’s truly got no potential he’s gone next year. Meanwhile you guys will be happy with burns, he’s a much better prospect than someone like Kaide Ellis. Burns should go on to have a long FG career.

kit66

Bench
In a similar way to the deal with Bennett, Griffin has been given a very short contract with a brief to turn the ship around so, time is of the essence. Griffin has a good understanding of what he needs to do this job and is going about it in the right way.

Blacker is a long term project and as a prop is a part of the Dragons squad that needs instant improvement. Kepping in mind that when Griffin arrived the team was performing very poorly with no substitute identified for the departing Frizell, I'd say something need to be done and Burns is a very economical solution.

I have no doubt that Kerr will continue to improve and hope that Ford will regain form in the same way that other forwards like Vaughan and Sims have lifted their game but it seems that Blacker is two to three years away from first grade and Griffin does not have the time for that project.

I am really looking forward to seeing hor burns fits in and at the same time looking forward to the recruitment of Fifita and McGuire who should bring that hard head factor to our forward pack.

That's what worries me this " immediate success " drive our board is on again as they did with Bennett.
Griffin went to Penrith to rebuild which he did beautifully and look at them now. The board should have given him longer with the assignment to build us up to once again being a powerhouse club. For chrissake they gave McGregor forever and persisted even with basically no worthy results year after year.
It would be great to make the finals this year and the next but not at the expense of losing our best juniors and by end of 2022 having a bunch of old guys on the verge of retirement and not much in between. This Burns swap smacks of desperation and it makes me nervous.
Even scarier is a feeling I get that we haven't seen the last of Dean Young.

Anyway, I'll ride it out as I've done for years and maybe Hook will give me something to smile about over the next 2 years.

Back on topic, I actually know nothing about Billy Burns, it's like his name's just been pulled out of a hat. Never heard of him until this week but I'm told he's the next Frizell.

kit66

Bench
Blacker won't be ready for FG for at least a few years, he's got some pretty major flaws in his game that he needs to completely turn around.

Sometimes people see a big body and automatically think they're a superstar. To the people who think he'll be a world-beater, I really struggle to see how you've come to that conclusion based off what you've seen so far. In fact, I don't actually think you've seen anything of him other than his gym photos.

Nice backhander there Tom, bit rude but that's the usual fallback I guess when you've got nothing sensible to say. You sound pretty impressed with gym photos mate, don't let your missus find them.

I live in Brisbane, I've seen Eddie play in a few local games up here for Norths Devils. I've watched the 2017 U18's SOO and I've seen some of his games in NSW Cup when they get streamed. I was really happy when Dragons signed him and disappointed to lose him. From what I've seen, apart from a few injury problems I don't see why he can't play first grade this year.

When you've got a hand free for the keyboard Tom maybe you can elaborate on these " major flaws " Blacker has suddenly acquired, they don't seem to have bothered the current best team in the comp who just signed him but what would they know.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Nice backhander there Tom, bit rude but that's the usual fallback I guess when you've got nothing sensible to say. You sound pretty impressed with gym photos mate, don't let your missus find them.

I live in Brisbane, I've seen Eddie play in a few local games up here for Norths Devils. I've watched the 2017 U18's SOO and I've seen some of his games in NSW Cup when they get streamed. I was really happy when Dragons signed him and disappointed to lose him. From what I've seen, apart from a few injury problems I don't see why he can't play first grade this year.

When you've got a hand free for the keyboard Tom maybe you can elaborate on these " major flaws " Blacker has suddenly acquired, they don't seem to have bothered the current best team in the comp who just signed him but what would they know.

Apologies if I seemed a little too forward, but i've just seen so many people (mainly on Facebook) singing his praises and attacking the coaching staff for not giving him a shot, when there's a clear reason for it.

Sure, you watched him play for Norths and U18's SOO in 2017, when he was a 17 year old and probably a similar size... Playing against boys. When you're that size at that age, playing against younger kids who don't have the physicality that grown men in the NRL competition have, you generally look at lot better.
Even though it's completely the polar opposite, Dufty and Field are perfect examples of that. They lit that competition up and were never physically dominated.
f**k, even TJ Uele looked like a world-beater at one stage and he was half Blacker's size.

Blacker's lateral movement is poor, he lacks that desperation in defense and doesn't have the mobility that you need in the modern game. There's no late footwork, in fact there's no footwork at all. All you'd need to do if you were someone like Murray, Brailey, Taukeiaho etc.... Is just go low on him and he'll drop every time. He's predictable and slow, his output (for what you'd expect from a dominant prop looking for hit-ups) needs A LOT of work.

I'd be intrigued to see how he goes at Penrith and if he can develop into an NRL player, but at the moment he's nowhere close. This swap gave us a player who is ready right now in a position we're getting desperate for depth.

boardlumps62

Juniors
There's no reason Hook won't be extended if he can keep this team performing even make the 8. The loss of Blacker is sad for me but he just wasn't given a go for some reason. That's the coaches job if they think he is not ready they won't use him and apparently we are short of secondrowers. And if Fifta or Maguire are up to it physically and for a good price for short term why not.

Changa

Juniors
Both players have potential. Difference is I can't see Penrith needing to call on Blacker in 21' if one of their props was to go down. Penrith have decent depth and more developed junior props ahead of Blacker.

However I can see us calling on Burns through 21' if we lost one of our edge forwards or Hook wants to rest Sims through the year.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hook would know of Burns' ability from his time at Penrith. All the blokes he is signing seem to have some connection with Hook and he has proven to us they are a good fit to the team. I am excited with this as Burns will be good cover for JDB if he fails his case. Maguire and Fifita will block Blacker's path anyway so for them to let Blacker go, they must be confident of bringing both to the Saints.

I think Merrin has also been pretty impressive to and looking like the old Merrin prior to leaving Saints. Saints are looking pretty well stocked in the forwards. Happy days.

kit66

Bench
Apologies if I seemed a little too forward, but i've just seen so many people (mainly on Facebook) singing his praises and attacking the coaching staff for not giving him a shot, when there's a clear reason for it.

Sure, you watched him play for Norths and U18's SOO in 2017, when he was a 17 year old and probably a similar size... Playing against boys. When you're that size at that age, playing against younger kids who don't have the physicality that grown men in the NRL competition have, you generally look at lot better.
Even though it's completely the polar opposite, Dufty and Field are perfect examples of that. They lit that competition up and were never physically dominated.
f**k, even TJ Uele looked like a world-beater at one stage and he was half Blacker's size.

Blacker's lateral movement is poor, he lacks that desperation in defense and doesn't have the mobility that you need in the modern game. There's no late footwork, in fact there's no footwork at all. All you'd need to do if you were someone like Murray, Brailey, Taukeiaho etc.... Is just go low on him and he'll drop every time. He's predictable and slow, his output (for what you'd expect from a dominant prop looking for hit-ups) needs A LOT of work.

I'd be intrigued to see how he goes at Penrith and if he can develop into an NRL player, but at the moment he's nowhere close. This swap gave us a player who is ready right now in a position we're getting desperate for depth.

I wasn't singing his praises, I'm merely disappointed as many others were that he wasn't even given a shot in first grade and that the reason he wasn't was because now after years of mediocrity and the board persisting with Mary suddenly it's panic stations and wild desperation to make the finals at any cost and our young guys are expendable.
From your comments you need to come watch some Qld footy or go watch some U18's in NSW. This comment " Sure, you watched him play for Norths and U18's SOO in 2017, when he was a 17 year old and probably a similar size... Playing against boys " shows maybe you're thinking of U10s not U18s. Or better yet watch this - ( featuring Qld No10 is Eddie Blacker vs NSW No8. Oregaon Kafusi & No.10 Payne Haas, not quite little boys.).

Also this - quote " Blacker's ( or insert the name of any forward you don't like ) lateral movement is poor, he lacks that desperation in defense and doesn't have the mobility that you need in the modern game. There's no late footwork, in fact there's no footwork at all ". Sounds like he stands still all game. Which of course is nonsense. There is a clear reason he's been let go but that aint it.

possm

Coach
At this point in time I am very happy with the recruitment Griffin and his staff have done. So, I will leave it to him and his judgement. Griffin has won my trust.

to_ddeath

Coach
I wasn't singing his praises, I'm merely disappointed as many others were that he wasn't even given a shot in first grade and that the reason he wasn't was because now after years of mediocrity and the board persisting with Mary suddenly it's panic stations and wild desperation to make the finals at any cost and our young guys are expendable.
From your comments you need to come watch some Qld footy or go watch some U18's in NSW. This comment " Sure, you watched him play for Norths and U18's SOO in 2017, when he was a 17 year old and probably a similar size... Playing against boys " shows maybe you're thinking of U10s not U18s. Or better yet watch this - ( featuring Qld No10 is Eddie Blacker vs NSW No8. Oregaon Kafusi & No.10 Payne Haas, not quite little boys.).

Also this - quote " Blacker's ( or insert the name of any forward you don't like ) lateral movement is poor, he lacks that desperation in defense and doesn't have the mobility that you need in the modern game. There's no late footwork, in fact there's no footwork at all ". Sounds like he stands still all game. Which of course is nonsense. There is a clear reason he's been let go but that aint it.

Has AG made a single wrong decision yet with his signings?
We are shorter in back row depth than in any other spot right now.
Blacker hasn’t even had a breakout season in reserves yet ala Wakeman & he never saw FG, not a single game (Mehry obviously at fault there)
I just don’t feel upset by this, player swaps happen quite often & for once it seems like this was a wise one.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Blacker had a game in 1sts last year and was gassed after 5 minutes.
He had pre season games with us this year including being taken into touch of a kick return and not much else.

The club had an issue with back row depth and Blacker didnt do enough in those limited opportunities to compel Hook to keep him ...

Eminim one shot.

He may develop into a beauty but right now in this club he is expendable as we are desperate for back row depth and that was the price to get burns from penrith.

TomRedVRiver

Bench

He wasn't given a shot in first grade because he wasn't even close to being ready. If you were an NRL coach and your philosophy was to just throw young players into first grade just to "give them a shot", regardless of whether they were ready or not, you'd be borderline negligent.

I'm also struggling to see what you mean by this: "after years of mediocrity and the board persisting with Mary suddenly it's panic stations and wild desperation to make the finals at any cost and our young guys are expendable".
Apart from the Blacker swap (clearly for a better player in a position we NEED), where are you seeing our young guys being "expendable"?
The club is paving a clear path for Sullivan right now, he is right at the top of their priority list, Amone and Sloane are a strong focus of the club, they just re-signed Cody Ramsey, Ravalawa is getting is shot and has been re-signed long term, Lawrie is starting and is killing it.
There is no evidence to suggest the club is being frivolous with our juniors, or that we're currently at panic stations. In fact, there is CLEAR evidence to suggest we finally have direction and a path forward.

I am not at all suggesting that he stands still all game, that's just hyperbolising on your part and you know it. I've watched Eddie in numerous NSW Cup games, and for a forward of his size you'd expect him to be hitting over 100m a game, with PCM through the ceiling. He's just not. In fact he was lucky to hold a bench spot for a while there.

Mary's regime was a dark time, but Blacker has been under 3 different coaching administrations now and all 3 have made the same assessment about him.
He's not up to it, and if he ever gets there, it won't be for at least a few years. We needed an edge NOW, and we got a good one in Burns. It's a good trade for us.

hewi

Bench
He’s only 21. Look at Kerr he was bought on slowly and now is a regular first grader. Personally I think Blacker will also. However , yes it’s backrowers we are short of so I understand the logic.

Latest posts