What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Billy Burns

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Burns till "at least the end of 2022" so definitely no loan just for this season, that is for sure.

Looking forward to see what this kid has. Sounds like the Panthers fans really rate him which is a good thing. Imagine the Dogs and Warriors fans looking at this forum when Lafai and Aitken were gone? Complete opposite. Saints fans could not wait to get rid of those 2.

Original Name

Juniors
Billy has a great instinct for playing attacking football and scrambling to make tackles on defence. With that said when he takes run at a brick wall he's rather ineffective. Not much strength in him and I think he'd be a worse player if he bulks up too much. Relies a lot on his deceptive agility and to a lesser extent speed. Not someone you want doing a lot of grunt work.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'll throw up a theory for you. These suspected signings are all players either near the veteran class or at least ready to go straight into NRL. Perhaps the board still holds on to putting mates back into these coaching jobs by giving Hook certain targets ( such as top 8 or higher this year top 4 2022 ) or they will not renew his contract. So Hook to get this contract renewal is looking for anyone he can get readymade for NRL. I'm not necessarily against coaches KPI's, in fact applaud it but it irks me that the imposter before was able to float along through his contacts at Board level

You're right DP- when it came to Mary, the Board defined KPI as Keep Paul Indefinitely.

draco

Juniors
Blacker joins Panthers as Burns departs

Penrith Panthers is delighted to confirm Eddie Blacker has joined the club for the remainder of the 2021 season after being released by St George Illawarra Dragons.

The signing of the 21-year-old prop on a one-year deal, with a club option for 2022, comes as Billy Burns is granted an immediate release from his Panthers contract to join the Dragons.

"Billy is a success story emerging from our club’s significant investment in Rugby League development in central west NSW," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"While it’s always sad to see a player we’ve developed leave the club, allowing Billy to move on at this point is in the best interests of all parties.

"We currently enjoy strong depth in Billy’s position and his departure will assist with our club’s management of the salary cap moving forward.

"At the same time it gives us the opportunity to improve the depth of our front row stocks and in that regard we’re excited to welcome Eddie Blacker to Panthers.

"Eddie is a talented young prop whose physical attributes will make him a valuable asset for our squad this season."

Born in Brisbane, Blacker came through the junior grades at Brisbane Broncos and represented the Queensland U20s Origin side in 2019.

He made his NRL debut for the Dragons in Round 20 last season.

"I think the success this Panthers team is having says everything about the club and I’m just excited to be a part of it," Blacker said.

"I like to think of myself as an effort player so from the first session I’ll be focused on doing all the little things right and making a good impression.

"I can’t wait to rip in and show everyone what I’m about."
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2021/04/07/blacker-joins-panthers-as-burns-departs/

Dragon David

First Grade
It is going to be very interesting to see how Blacker progresses or will he regress at Penrith? Penrith know how to develop their players just as the Storm have done for many years. They have an abundance of talent and unfortunately they cannot keep them all. Lucky there is a salary cap , well for most clubs anyway!!

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
It is going to be very interesting to see how Blacker progresses or will he regress at Penrith? Penrith know how to develop their players just as the Storm have done for many years. They have an abundance of talent and unfortunately they cannot keep them all. Lucky there is a salary cap , well for most clubs anyway!!

Yes- "Ivan Drago" could come back to haunt us but up till now there's been a bit of the looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane about him. We desperately needed a running backrower as I just don't see Kerr filling the role any time soon. Meanwhile, Ford's progress seems to have stalled. so there's an opportunity for Billy Burns if he's up to it.

kit66

Bench
I'm not happy losing Blacker, the kid could be another Brad Thorn, a real enforcer. He wasn't given a chance in 1st grade.
I won't second guess Hook's motives though as he's done a miraculous job so far but I don't want to see another Bennett type demolition of the club a couple of years from now of lost juniors and a return to coaching jobs for the boys all in the name of buying ourselves a pennant.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I'm not happy losing Blacker, the kid could be another Brad Thorn, a real enforcer. He wasn't given a chance in 1st grade.
I won't second guess Hook's motives though as he's done a miraculous job so far but I don't want to see another Bennett type demolition of the club a couple of years from now of lost juniors and a return to coaching jobs for the boys all in the name of buying ourselves a pennant.
Burns is only 22 so a like for like swap & we have more need for a second rower. Blacker might go on to be good player but so might Burns.

blacksafake

First Grade
Billy has a great instinct for playing attacking football and scrambling to make tackles on defence. With that said when he takes run at a brick wall he's rather ineffective. Not much strength in him and I think he'd be a worse player if he bulks up too much. Relies a lot on his deceptive agility and to a lesser extent speed. Not someone you want doing a lot of grunt work.
Thanks for the insight.
I’m sure Hook will use him correctly as a hole runner & not as a battering ram.
Now if it was under the previous coach who shall remain nameless I’m not so sure.

Original Name

Juniors
Thanks for the insight.
I’m sure Hook will use him correctly as a hole runner & not as a battering ram.
Now if it was under the previous coach who shall remain nameless I’m not so sure.
Usually he's more of a hole runner but he has shown the ability to kick, call for grubbers through to the try line to score a fair few times and I've seen him throw at least two cut passes for tries. Maybe a player with too many options and at times. It's pretty short but you see a bit of it here. In most of this he's playing right backrow but in most of the games I've watched him he's usually played left.
I think he'd form the best combo running outside Corey Norman.

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Blacker feels like a forum favourite - according to the populous in here a superstar in the making, but according to the coaches not making the grade.

Original Name

Juniors
Blacker feels like a forum favourite - according to the populous in here a superstar in the making, but according to the coaches not making the grade.
Hook didn't even have Sivo in the top 30 squad at Penrith for like 2 years tbf.