What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Matua

Bench
The Vodafone Warriors have secured two of New Zealand’s hottest young prospects Zyon Maiuu and Jacob Laban on three-year contracts to add more quality to the club’s playing depth for the future.

The 17-year-old Kelston Boys’ High School students are regarded by Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan as New Zealand’s best young second rowers.

“We are very excited to lock up Zyon and Jacob for the next three years,” he said.

“Both boys complement each other beautifully, Zyon with his competitiveness, skill and toughness and ability to play edge and middle equally as well as the other while Jacob is a gifted, athletic edge back rower with a huge motor.”

Laban, a Randwick Kingfishers junior, moved to Auckland from Wellington this year to complete his year 13 studies and prepare for the next step of his rugby league career with the Vodafone Warriors. Maiuu was named the MVP after the recent NZRL National 20s competition.

“They are thriving and pushing each other in their training, playing and general life skills. It’s also a great story for Kelston Boys’ High School and our working relationship with the school.

“I can’t wait for them to join the top squad in November and get their NRL dreams into action as I have no doubt the boys will go on and become Warriors in the next few years” concludes O'Sullivan.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/FMfcgxwLtkTMQrPTdnthNZrqCTnlbxGZ
Oh, good they've managed to remember where NZ is on a map.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Wanted to have a bit of a look at the players off contract at the end of the year and see what our thoughts are on if they’re gunna stay or go:

Bunty Afoa
Keep - always gives it 110% Had the option of going over seas but decided to stay and fight for another chance. Lots of heart, just what the Warriors need

Jazz Tevaga
Release - I quite like what Jazz brings as a back rower, however I think we have too many backrowers on our books as it is, so I’d be looking at releasing a few of them and signing someone who does what Jazz does, but a little bit better and with less errors.

Leeson Ah Mau
Release - Tough on the big bloke. Goes hard but I feel with the pace of today’s game has struggled. Not making as much meters as he used to, and will be on decent coin (I’m guessing 500k) that can be utilised better.

Paul Turner
Keep - Showed a glimpse of what he can do earlier on in the year. Yet to be given a proper chance, but has huge potential. Being able to play FB, centre and halves a huge bonus

Tom Ale
Keep - IMO should be the 4th prop in our rotation and given a larger role. Has looked good in the limited minutes he’s had so far. Is a big body and I feel has a big future with us - could be this years Katoa if given the minutes.

Adam Pompey
Keep - Great back up centre and has shown what he can do with the injuries so far this year. Mainly a depth signing but still a good one.

Peta HIku
Keep - Hasn’t really got started this year but one of our best attacking weapons. IMO one of the best centres at putting his wingers away in the corner.

Jackson Frei
Release - Haven’t seen enough for him to go either way. If it’s on a minimum contract, may as well keep him but if there’s any one else pressing, probably have to cut him loose

Josh Curran
Release - Tough one, and it depends on how he goes moving forward now he’s had a bit of a look in, but the reality is we have 7 backrowers pushing for a spot and something has to give. We’ve also signed 2 promising young forwards who you would think would get a look in within 2-3 years

Rocco Berry
Release - again, still early to tell but being behind Walsh, Turner, and even having Fus and Hiku able to fill in at the back, not sure how he’ll be able to keep a spot unless it’s on a minimum contract.

Sean O’Sullivan
Release - I like what he’s brought to our team but depending on how we go, I can’t see how he fits in to our team. If we don’t sign a top half, then keep him.

I estimate Jazz around 3-350k and Ah Mau 4-500k so adding that to the 700k we have to spend from RTS money, we should be looking top line hooker and/or half

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
There is something there with Berry. Can be developed into a decent centre.

I'd give Hiku another year or 2 and groom Berry to take his spot.

Penrose_11

Juniors
I imagine we’ve still gotta a shit ton of coin left to spend in our cap with the RTS $1.1mil coming free for next year. Yes RW has been signed but reportedly at under $400k per season. There’ll be a few upgrades of other contracts but i expect something good on the horizon. Hooker (back-up) is a huge whole for us. I can see us getting a top preforming NSWRL or QRL hooker on the cheap e.g Gatis, Henderson, Heramia, Fien, Mears etc. We’ve always had good success there

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Not sure there is much else the club could do, made a competitive offer and wanted to keep him but he has left in search for more game time.

Bit of an up-yours to the Broncos by going to the Titans which I can appreciate

Leber

Bench
Weird move for him... behind Hegarty and Taylor atm and they also have Boyd and Clark in the halves.

I really rated him. That is a pain

TheDMC

Bench
Not sure there is much else the club could do, made a competitive offer and wanted to keep him but he has left in search for more game time.

Could have given him more game time...

Really do need to give the young back ups some playing opportunities. Only way to really see whether they are ready for the big time or not. I feel that we have been too reluctant on that front for years. Kearney would barely drop anyone no matter how shit, let alone give a young guy a chance.

TheDMC

Bench
Here comes Brandon.....

Imagine that...

Guaranteed hooker position for as long as he wants, great coin, team on the up (maybe), can spend his weekends on Waiheke chilling with the family.

He has to go somewhere else...his hooker stints at Melbourne are only going to decrease. Harry Grant is a 80m player.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Could have given him more game time...

Really do need to give the young back ups some playing opportunities. Only way to really see whether they are ready for the big time or not. I feel that we have been too reluctant on that front for years. Kearney would barely drop anyone no matter how shit, let alone give a young guy a chance.

Think we are seeing more of that under Brown to be fair...Walsh, Berry, SoS, Ale, Kosi, Turner was starting to get opportunities.
Maybe Walsh doesn't fit this particular category but still a young player given an opportunity.

Big Marn

Juniors
Think we are seeing more of that under Brown to be fair...Walsh, Berry, SoS, Ale, Kosi, Turner was starting to get opportunities.
Maybe Walsh doesn't fit this particular category but still a young player given an opportunity.
Most of those were forced by injury tho. No Aitken, Hiku, Fus, AFB, CHT, Montoya, Pompey. We had no one left.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
We’ve offered Nicho Hynes a 3 yr 1.5mil contract to play half. Sounds like the most he’s been offered, would love to get him on board.

There have also been whispers of Joey Manu on big coin to play as a full back. No official word, just a few whispers

WellsNZ

Juniors
We’ve offered Nicho Hynes a 3 yr 1.5mil contract to play half. Sounds like the most he’s been offered, would love to get him on board.

There have also been whispers of Joey Manu on big coin to play as a full back. No official word, just a few whispers

Would absolutely love Hynes, was keen for him before this recent stretch. Surprised some desperate clubs aren't eager to throw even more at him tbh.

Tongue

Juniors
Is Hynes being signed as a half?

Hynes 2 years older than CHT.
Where will CHT be with 2 more years under his belt?
CHT has played only approx 31 games for the Warriors and had been with the club since 2016.
Why invest in a kid for 5+ years and show no faith? (excuse the pun)

jaseg

Juniors
Is Hynes being signed as a half?

Hynes 2 years older than CHT.
Where will CHT be with 2 more years under his belt?
CHT has played only approx 31 games for the Warriors and had been with the club since 2016.
Why invest in a kid for 5+ years and show no faith? (excuse the pun)

Probably not where Hynes is.

Realized gain is a surer thing than potential gain. Plus, the last available numbers say Hynes was actually a significantly better 20s half than CHT... not sure what happened to him when leaving Manly, but he somehow ended up playing QCup with no NRL deal after aging out of the 20s, until the Storm found him.

I wrote this earlier in a different thread I think, but I'd be interested in seeing CHT try a Connor Watson-style transition into a ballplaying forward role.