What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
From what I understand the offer that we have given Moses, is around $900K, with a bunch of incentives built in if we make GF and or win it. Which I think is good business.

If he wants more up front, then I think he is being a little greedy to be honest. Firstly he hasn't proven that he can take us all the way or has been consistent enough over the years to warrant a $1m+ offer. Then there is the fact that if we give him in excess of a million it will impact the team we can build around him. It will also incentivise other players not to sacrifice a little and to think of themselves more and not the team so much.

If one of our leaders show commitment and sacrifice in regards to contracts, then others may follow. These sort of things have a knock on affect, good or bad. If all the players took a little less then what could be on offer elsewhere, then the roster will be strong and ultimately they will all benefit long term during their time at a winning club.

I hope he signs with all of that in mind and doesn't hold out for an over the top $1m+ offer down the road by taking up his one year option.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Agree with most of what you said except about his kicking game. It’s been great, especially his long kicking game. His form this year has been really good, glad the club just hasn’t thrown an unrealistic figure at him that he can’t refuse. I understand he’s willing to back himself by only taking up the option for next year, but IMO it’s a huge gamble. Injuries and loss of form can quickly dictate how much he could get in 2023
It didn't work too well for Nrown.

Gronk

Staff member
Oh give it a rest you woke fool.

BTW none of us give a toss how his name is pronounced.

Lets just call him that Happy Guy and be done with it. FFS!
LOL what is woke about a guy's name being pronounced properly ? Didn't Chance Nickel Clockstand just go through the same thing ? BTW Papen-hoy- zen has corrected everyone and they still call him Papen-how-zen

TheRam

Coach
LOL what is woke about a guy's name being pronounced properly ? Didn't Chance Nickel Clockstand just go through the same thing ? BTW Papen-hoy- zen has corrected everyone and they still call him Papen-how-zen

Other then a few tossers that make a issue of it, even most of the players themselves initially didn't really give a whole lot, but since we have become so woke, they then jumped on the back of it.

As an example German, Dutch names have always been pronounced in a western sounding way. Same with the pronunciation of the country Chile. When people aren't putting on an accent and try to be cool and pronounce it the way South Americans would, they just sound like wankers.

We mostly say names or words in the way that our language sounds spelling wise, not in the way other languages sound, which I am sure if you went to these other countries, they would pronounce our words or names in the way it is easier and the sounds that they are more familiar too. It can be funny at times, but hardly a slight or meaning to offend.

I think it was Nicoll-klokstad that didn't realise the right way to pronounce it himself until someone pointed it out to him.

As long as we are not trying to be offensive, who gives a toss? Get over yourself.

Gronk

Staff member
Other then a few tossers that make a issue of it, even most of the players themselves initially didn't really give a whole lot, but since we have become so woke, they then jumped on the back of it.

As an example German, Dutch names have always been pronounced in a western sounding way. Same with the pronunciation of the country Chile. When people aren't putting on an accent and try to be cool and pronounce it the way South Americans would, they just sound like wankers.

We mostly say names or words in the way that our language sounds spelling wise, not in the way other languages sound, which I am sure if you went to these other countries, they would pronounce our words or names in the way it is easier and the sounds that they are more familiar too. It can be funny at times, but hardly a slight or meaning to offend.

I think it was Nicoll-klokstad that didn't realise the right way to pronounce it himself until someone pointed it out to him.

As long as we are not trying to be offensive, who gives a toss? Get over yourself.

So how is it "woke" ? Do you even know what that slur means or implies ? Who said anything ever about offensive ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's because foreign words are always adjusted to fit into the structure of the adoptive language. Racism has nothing to do with it. The correct pronunciation of Papenhuyzen sounds jarring in English, similar to the correct pronunciation of Stockholm (the L isn't silent, but if you pronounce it within an otherwise English sentence it sounds ridiculous). For the record, this is how a native Dutch speaker would pronounce Papenhuyzen: How to pronounce Papenhuyzen | HowToPronounce.com

Can you imagine Rabs stopping mid-sentence to throw that in? It would sound shit. There comes a point where you need to accept that foreign words (including proper nouns) are pronounced differently based on the language used to pronounce them. Here's how Swedes say smörgåsbord: How to pronounce smorgasbord in Swedish | HowToPronounce.com

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We mostly say names or words in the way that our language sounds spelling wise, not in the way other languages sound, which I am sure if you went to these other countries, they would pronounce our words or names in the way it is easier and the sounds that they are more familiar too.
They do.

Gronk

Staff member
That's because foreign words are always adjusted to fit into the structure of the adoptive language. Racism has nothing to do with it. The correct pronunciation of Papenhuyzen sounds jarring in English, similar to the correct pronunciation of Stockholm (the L isn't silent, but if you pronounce it within an otherwise English sentence it sounds ridiculous). For the record, this is how a native Dutch speaker would pronounce Papenhuyzen: How to pronounce Papenhuyzen | HowToPronounce.com

Can you imagine Rabs stopping mid-sentence to throw that in? It would sound shit. There comes a point where you need to accept that foreign words (including proper nouns) are pronounced differently based on the language used to pronounce them. Here's how Swedes say smörgåsbord: How to pronounce smorgasbord in Swedish | HowToPronounce.com
Who implied there was racism ?

T-Boon

Coach
So how is it "woke" ? Do you even know what that slur means or implies ? Who said anything ever about offensive ?

Haha, is WOKE an actual slur? I thought they self appointed as "Woke" Like the Dude self appointed "the Dude".

Gazzamatta

Coach

Rabs seems more preoccupied with players pronunciation and which backyard they played in as kids more so than calling the footy. He's absolutely lost it.

Latest posts