What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Waqa is slated to come back next week but with no games under his belt would assume will play several games in reserves before being considered.
Merkins play in round one with f**k all match fitness. It doesn't matter that much. They get/stay fit at training through the week, and Blake would have been running for a couple of weeks by now. Players only return from injury in reserve grade when they're not needed in first grade.

Bandwagon

Staff member
That's because foreign words are always adjusted to fit into the structure of the adoptive language. Racism has nothing to do with it. The correct pronunciation of Papenhuyzen sounds jarring in English, similar to the correct pronunciation of Stockholm (the L isn't silent, but if you pronounce it within an otherwise English sentence it sounds ridiculous). For the record, this is how a native Dutch speaker would pronounce Papenhuyzen: How to pronounce Papenhuyzen | HowToPronounce.com

Can you imagine Rabs stopping mid-sentence to throw that in? It would sound shit. There comes a point where you need to accept that foreign words (including proper nouns) are pronounced differently based on the language used to pronounce them. Here's how Swedes say smörgåsbord: How to pronounce smorgasbord in Swedish | HowToPronounce.com

Incorrect

Coach
I’ll put my hand up as shaking my head when we signed Cartwright but hearing him post match I’m happy for him. Seems like a decent bloke
Given the cut price salary we signed him to, I was ok from the get go with the signing. But I never saw him as being a key part of our best 17. But who knows. He's a bit like Dean Widders in his heyday - can bust a game wide open in 20 minutes either side of halftime. I don't think he'd be great anywhere for 80 minutes. And I think opposition coaches would pick him apart if he was playing an established role somewhere, anywhere!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Given the cut price salary we signed him to, I was ok from the get go with the signing. But I never saw him as being a key part of our best 17. But who knows. He's a bit like Dean Widders in his heyday - can bust a game wide open in 20 minutes either side of halftime. I don't think he'd be great anywhere for 80 minutes. And I think opposition coaches would pick him apart if he was playing an established role somewhere, anywhere!!

as a player physically/Skills wise, he has it all. Really no weaknesses.

However his biggest weakness is attitude, which isn’t hard too fit.

So far so good.

Also on his signing, it really was very low risk/high reward potential. Minimum wage, if playing no good, he could just play NSW cup like other minimum wagers like oldfield/rankin......

Eelementary

Post Whore
My biggest issue with Carty's signing was his poor defence, and usual reluctance to run hard.

He has improved his defence out of sight, and is making tough runs - while still showing sublime skill.

Arthur has really got him firing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
My biggest issue with Carty's signing was his poor defence, and usual reluctance to run hard.

He has improved his defence out of sight, and is making tough runs - while still showing sublime skill.

Arthur has really got him firing.
My biggest issue with it was him being off contract as soon as he arrived. How much will it cost to retain him ffs

Gazzamatta

Coach
My biggest issue with it was him being off contract as soon as he arrived. How much will it cost to retain him ffs
He was going to get Nrowns money but now that's allocated albeit less than anticipated. Yes I agree. Money is getting very tight. Probably only Fergos and Mennings to play with. Probably about one million but how far can we spread it around? Thankfully we now have decent negotiators employed. Given our interest in Gay Guy we must be doing ok.

crocodile

Bench
That's because foreign words are always adjusted to fit into the structure of the adoptive language. Racism has nothing to do with it. The correct pronunciation of Papenhuyzen sounds jarring in English, similar to the correct pronunciation of Stockholm (the L isn't silent, but if you pronounce it within an otherwise English sentence it sounds ridiculous). For the record, this is how a native Dutch speaker would pronounce Papenhuyzen: How to pronounce Papenhuyzen | HowToPronounce.com

Can you imagine Rabs stopping mid-sentence to throw that in? It would sound shit. There comes a point where you need to accept that foreign words (including proper nouns) are pronounced differently based on the language used to pronounce them. Here's how Swedes say smörgåsbord: How to pronounce smorgasbord in Swedish | HowToPronounce.com

Glad I don't live in Dun Laoghaire

Latest posts