What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 season

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Yep, things just didn't go well. Hopefully next time.

Hopefully next time it is not the friggin' Storm. Sick of them and the Roosters being there in the first place. Luckily, the Roosters seem to have hired whoever was in charge of our conditioning last time Ivan was here and their players are dropping like flies (luckily for us in terms of increasing our chances of winning the comp, I mean; injuries suck for all teams and I'd rather win it against full strength opposition than hoping their key players fall over).

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It's that Grant, Smith Has combo that worries me. Quick play the balls followed by a hooker like Grant is terrifying.

Say close to the line Smith takes a run and gets a quick ptb. Off the back of that Grant jumps out of hooker and gets Nas one on one. Even if he passed out the back to Munster the defense isn't sliding because of NAS so he can carve up. Either way we're screwed. In that match against the Storm off a freaking tap Smith ran at Yeo at somebody and got a quick ptb which resulted in Storm's shift to almost score in the last play off the game. Once they get that worringly quick play the ball with Grant at hooker we should be very worried.

I was going to say that I could see the Storm going unbeaten for the rest of the season assuming their game against us will be a coin toss, but who knows how the Origin period will treat teams, and knowing my prediction powers, saying this will mean they lose to the Bunnies tomorrow. :)

betcats

Referee
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...out-the-rest-of-the-club-20210506-p57pgt.html

Only got my phone right now but I’ll copy and paste it all later. Basically a story about how good we are going as a club, in our top 3 grades(flegg,cup,fg) the combined record is 20 wins and 1 loss. The loss was in flegg by 1 point. If you include st Mary’s rm cup the combined record is 32 wins, 2 losses. Amazing stuff really.

Jane Murray

Bench
Fletcher was full of praise for Cleary and said: “He’s had such a big role in this rebuild, and the best part about Ivan is he’s collaborative – he wants everybody included and doesn’t exclude anyone.”

The Panthers famously won 17 straight games last season before they lost the Grand Final to Melbourne. Penrith are chasing a 9-0 start against the Sharks.

One player desperate to improve on last week is back-rower Viliame Kikau who struggled to get into the game against Manly, and knows he needs to demand the ball more from his five-eighth Jarome Luai.

“I wasn’t getting the ball in my hand as early as I’m used to last week, and one thing I’m working on this week is improving my talk with ‘Romy’ [Luai]. I need to be dominant with my talk because it only makes his job easier and he knows when to give me the ball.

“I do get too relaxed sometimes. I don’t even realise how relaxed I am until after the game and I’ll see my stats and be like, ‘how did that happen?’. One of the things I actually wanted to work on this year was being consistent.”

Alintheeast

Juniors
Fletch should simply say everybody else did a great job. My take Gus had a vision of what would work and a lot moms and dads in the Mt Druitt, st Mary’s and the central West reefed their 5 and 6 year olds out of bed at 7am on Saturday morning for a game of footie 15 to 18 years ago. Rebuild my ass it was total implementation of a strategy that should of been put in place in 1980.

The_Frog

First Grade
Warning: Lengthy discussion of points scoring stats over different eras ahead.

During the Sharks game Andrew Voss was comparing this Panthers side to the Dragons of 1963, the side that conceded only 95 points at 5.28 per game including 11 tries at 0.61 per game in the season proper. The season proper in those days was 18 games. In their first 9 games they conceded 51 points, which included just 5 tries, at 5.67 per game. The Dragons in their 11 year run usually got stronger as the season went on.

By comparison we've conceded 60 points in 9 games, at 6.67 per game, including 11 tries. A good way short of the 1963 Dragons it would seem. But it's a different game now to then. Watch an old grand final from the era, they are still on the NRL site. Scrum, penalty, scrum, penalty, and on and on it went. Unlimited tackles, and defence back 3 metres The ball cannot have been in play for half of the 80 minutes. There were far more goals kicked than tries scored. It was basically modified rugby union, and as such MUCH harder to score tries than now.

The only possible way to compare the 2021 Panthers to the 1963 Dragons is in the context of average scoring of the day compared to now.

1963 Dragons:

Season Proper Points Conceded: 95 (18 games)
Points Conceded Per Game 5.28
Tries/Goals Conceded: 11/31
Tries/Goals Conceded per game average 0.61 / 1.72
Points/Tries/Goals Conceded Per Game Average For All Teams:12.3 / 2.3 / 2.7
Points/Tries/goals Conceded As Percentage of All Team Average: 42.9 / 26.5 / 63.7

What this shows is that the 1963 Dragons conceded a far greater percentage of their points from kicks at goal than the average. Teams would take two points against them whenever possible. This is another way the game has changed. From my recollection in that era you'd always take the two within kicking distance unless you were substantially behind on the scoreboard.

Compare the 2021 Panthers After 9 games:
Points/Tries/Goals Conceded: 60/11/8
Average Points/Tries/Goals Conceded Per Game:6.67 / 1.22 / 0.89
Average Points/Tries/Goals Conceded Per Game Per Team Across All Teams with 2 games remaining in round 9): 21.52 / 3.74 / 3.6
Points/Tries/Goals Conceded as percentage of All Team Average: 31.0 / 32.6 / 24.7

OK so what does all this mean. In relation to scoring by all teams, we're inferior to the 1963 Dragons in tries conceded by a factor of 32.6 (us) to 26.7 (them)- lower percentage of the overall all team average being superior. But teams got their points in different ways back then to now, games were refereed differently to say the least, and clearly although they didn't concede many tries at all, they gave away enough penalties to concede 63.7% of the average in goals, despite having far fewer try conversions taken against them. It is reasonable to assume many or even most of these penalties were given away in order to prevent tries being scored or to prevent opponents getting into a position to score tries. Whereas our goals conceded closely aligns with tries conceded, because that is where the vast majority of them come from these days.

So in overall points, we've conceded 31.0% of the average across all teams, whereas the Dragons conceded 42.9% of the average across all teams, across the full home and away season. Their points conceded per game in the first 9 rounds were slightly more than for the full season proper, so the result for 9 rounds is likely to be more in our favour.

This also does not take into account that the ball is in play for a far greater percentage of game time these days compared to the unlimited tackle era, with all the scrums, penalties and kicks at goal they had in those times.

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Another positive Panthers article from SMH worth a read. This one on how far they have come in just 2 years from hitting rock bottom with a 6 game losing streak and being bottom of the ladder, to winning 26 of their last 27 games!

Interesting point from the article, there are only 5 players from the 17 that played the Magic Round two years ago that are still at the club.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tw...ng-special-kind-of-magic-20210508-p57q4e.html

Kev07

Juniors
There has been much talk lately of how many from our squad will likely play Origin this year.
Could possibly be 6 with Cleary,Yeo and Capwell as certainties and then Luai,Chrichton and To'o a chance also.

Rugby World Cup in England this year and Panthers will likely have close to half of their top 30 named in that tournament. As each team usually has a squad of 24 to 25 players some of our Cup players may also get picked in those Pacific Island teams.

AUSTRALIA
Cleary
Yeo
Capwell

NEW ZEALAND
Fisher-Harris

SAMOA
Luai
May
To'o
Chrchton
Leota
Stains
Leniu

FIJI
Kikau
Korisau

TONGA
Jennings

2022 pre-season will be affected also

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
There has been much talk lately of how many from our squad will likely play Origin this year.
Could possibly be 6 with Cleary,Yeo and Capwell as certainties and then Luai,Chrichton and To'o a chance also.

Rugby World Cup in England this year and Panthers will likely have close to half of their top 30 named in that tournament. As each team usually has a squad of 24 to 25 players some of our Cup players may also get picked in those Pacific Island teams.

AUSTRALIA
Cleary
Yeo
Capwell

NEW ZEALAND
Fisher-Harris

SAMOA
Luai
May
To'o
Chrchton
Leota