What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does every commentator shout all the time now?

some11

Referee
It sucks eh?
I can’t stand it. Fair enough if something remarkable happens like a miracle finish in the dying seconds but these merkins are screaming when someone catches a bomb or makes a half-break. It’s ridiculous.
I can only think it's something that came down on high from fox sports to make games sound more "exciting"?

The tabloidisation of rugby league doesn't sit well with me. Fox sports has gone the way of every other murdoch gutter outlet.

Nuke

Staff member
Covid.
When in doubt, blame covid.

In all seriousness, a potential factor could indeed be covid. The commentators are in a studio nowhere near the game, just watching it on tv. They're in a different situation than normal. Maybe they need to ramp up their commentary to fill the silence of the studio and make the games appear more exciting ... especially for games with reduced / no crowds.

yobbo84

First Grade
anchorman-brick.gif

My guess is they are directed to by higher ups. If one or two do it then it is probably a personality thing but if everyone does it then it is something more - especially Voss who rarely yelled his call at 9 but at Fox seems to do it all the time.

I think its mimicry of Ray Warren which, as he is that much older than the other main game commentators, has filtered down to them.

Latest posts