What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade

NRL Market Watch: John Bateman to ink three-year deal with Wests Tigers​

Wests Tigers will unleash a formidable forward pack in 2023, with a superstar Englishman all but locking in his NRL return with the joint-venture.

David Riccio David Riccio
Follow
@DaveRic1

3 min read
November 2, 2022 - 1:34PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

The Wests Tigers are in the final stages of signing-off on a deal to bring English International John Bateman back to the NRL.
In a move that could finally drag the Wests Tigers out of the competition cellar, the 29-year-old is eyeing a three-year deal to join a new-look Tigers pack that will include premiership-winning hooker Api Koroisau and Kiwi international Isaiah Papali'I.
On top of the recruitment of Koroisau, Papalii and almost certainly Bateman, the Tigers are also aiming to add either David Klemmer or Tyson Frizell from Newcastle to their pack for 2023.
Klemmer is the frontrunner to link with the Tigers - and his acquisition doesn’t require losing halfback Luke Brooks.
The forward pack overhaul could prove defining for the Wests Tigers, who already boast key forwards Stefano Utoikamano, Joe Ofehengaue, Alex Twal and promising prop Fonua Pole.
John Bateman is set to join Wests Tigers next in 2023.

John Bateman is set to join Wests Tigers next in 2023.

In order to sign Bateman, Wests Tigers senior management are comfortable with paying the key forward’s English club, Wigan, a transfer fee, as he still has two years remaining on his Super League contract.
The figure believed to be around $250,000 AUD is paid directly from club to club and would sit outside the Tigers salary cap.
The 29-year-old would return to the NRL with a glowing reputation in the eyes of fans after two quality seasons in the NRL (2019-2020) with Canberra.
Bateman helped transform the Raiders in 2019 with his powerful running game and defensive nous earning him the 2019 Dally M second-rower of the year award.
The recruitment of Bateman has been led by head coach Tim Sheens, who believes the no-nonsense forward will instil genuine steel and leadership to the Tigers.
The Tigers are hoping to sign-off on the deal in the coming days.

The plot thickens?

gordsy

Juniors
Seems odd that he is leaving Rugby for a train and trial deal, especially if he was just told to join the Tah's squad....

BrotherJim05

Bench
Been reading some rumours about bad blood between Hastings and Bateman, hence why they aren't rushing to re-sign Hastings just yet. Also heard a rumour that we are trying to keep Brooks and still sign Klemmer, but then may actually do a swap deal of Brooks for Frizell.

All just complete rumours but I really f**king hope we keep Hastings, and that he is given the 7 jersey. A brutal forward pack is where success starts but without an organising 7 it's all for nought.

As for Frizell - I thought Bateman was coming to play second row, but maybe we see him as a lock? Imagine this pack:

8. Klemmer
9. Api
10. Offa
11. Papali'i
12. Frizell
13. Bateman

14. Stefano
15. Twal
16. Brown
17. Blore/Pole

Been reading some rumours about bad blood between Hastings and Bateman, hence why they aren't rushing to re-sign Hastings just yet. Also heard a rumour that we are trying to keep Brooks and still sign Klemmer, but then may actually do a swap deal of Brooks for Frizell.

All just complete rumours but I really f**king hope we keep Hastings, and that he is given the 7 jersey. A brutal forward pack is where success starts but without an organising 7 it's all for nought.

As for Frizell - I thought Bateman was coming to play second row, but maybe we see him as a lock? Imagine this pack:

8. Klemmer
9. Api
10. Offa
11. Papali'i
12. Frizell
13. Bateman

14. Stefano
15. Twal
16. Brown
17. Blore/Pole
I agree, but something @macnaz and I were whining on about a couple of years ago is that Brooks is the better player for a strong forward pack.

Thats not to argue he is worth his current retainer, I don’t think that’s up for argument.

But he’s not seen anything approaching a stoic no nonsense pack since time immemorial.

We seem to have forgotten how good Stef was going in his prime and that massive unit Blorey is beyond desperate to play every week, hence the extension.

It also makes sense to me to forget about Benji frolicking around in his undies, sign Dessie and drag as many of the Panther rehab staff over as we possibly can.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
I agree, but something @macnaz and I were whining on about a couple of years ago is that Brooks is the better player for a strong forward pack.

Thats not to argue he is worth his current retainer, I don’t think that’s up for argument.

But he’s not seen anything approaching a stoic no nonsense pack since time immemorial.

We seem to have forgotten how good Stef was going in his prime and that massive unit Blorey is beyond desperate to play every week, hence the extension.

It also makes sense to me to forget about Benji frolicking around in his undies, sign Dessie and drag as many of the Panther rehab staff over as we possibly can.
But, how long do we keep giving Brooks to come good?

It’s not the odd bad game, it’s the odd good game, that’s the issue?

Surely for the dollars he’s on, you can’t keep blaming everyone else around him?

Tigerm

First Grade

@BrotherJim05 mentioned this already?

But what I find strange is, if the tension is so high between them, why is Bateman even considering coming here?

If it’s Jackson, the club would have known Jacko’s angst, so why do it?

I not 100% sure of the timeline, but they wouldn’t have seen each other for at least 3 years?

You are allowed not to like someone, but that doesn’t mean you won’t play in the same side as them, but some man management may be needed?

BrotherJim05

Bench

But what I find strange is, if the tension is so high between them, why is Bateman even considering coming here?

I not 100% sure of the timeline, but they wouldn’t have seen each other for at least 3 years?

You are allowed not to like someone, but that doesn’t mean you won’t play in the same side as them, but some man management may be needed?
Shit completely missed this! Yeah this is very interesting, we would have probably one of the best packs in the NRL if this all goes through.

I wonder if there is a disconnect between Hastings and coaches? It doesn't make sense they aren't keen to lock up Hastings when he clearly is our best option at halfback.

Shredder

Juniors
I saw an interview with Hastings while he was in the UK.
Ive always rated him.
He said himself hes a little anti-social and keeps his distance.
Now if your a fringe kind of person and also have a massive "high performance" desire, which he always has had, that would rub people the wrong way.

Culture is important, but so is results.

Honestly this sort of crap is par for the course. How many of us are old enough to remember why Thurston left the Dogs?

But, how long do we keep giving Brooks to come good?

It’s not the odd bad game, it’s the odd good game, that’s the issue?

Surely for the dollars he’s on, you can’t keep blaming everyone else around him?
He was at his best when he had some go-forward and I didn’t have any issues with your remark about his salary.

According to these fresh reports, this also seems to be the club thinking on the matter. Another one of Tims hallucinations? Maybe we are coming the raw prawn with the knights, showing some mettle in negotiations instead of the usual bending over and passing of the Vaseline.

The candle for Brooks with an improved pack is where the cards seem to have fallen. So we say.
Interesting.

Last edited:
I saw an interview with Hastings while he was in the UK.
Ive always rated him.
He said himself hes a little anti-social and keeps his distance.
Now if your a fringe kind of person and also have a massive "high performance" desire, which he always has had, that would rub people the wrong way.

Culture is important, but so is results.

Honestly this sort of crap is par for the course. How many of us are old enough to remember why Thurston left the Dogs?
He’s was definitely weird and anti-social but we’ve turned into him one of leagues hottest properties.

Im not saying he’s king of the kids, but he’s had a great season on the reputation level.

Before I get moderated into oblivion, Brooks v Hastings, has to be Hastings for whom I was an early adaptor. He’s been an inspiration to all of us.

And who is to say he won’t patch things up with Bateman?

Become besties in the stripes. It would be good for both of them. Knuckle down and man up on the relationship front. A common purpose.

Enemies that turn into friends, there’s often a special bond that rubs off onto everyone.

Tim says he’s going to give Mr Randwick Houston a good run in the trials.

The brilliant kid is invited to play for the Waratahs, but instead chooses to train and trial for us.

He must be unwell.

You’d have to wonder what childhood trauma he went through, whether he’s underwent rememberance therapy and has recounted being zapped up by aliens last year.

@The Rosco told me that his favourite alien experiment encounter was with the Venusian hot poker. After their tests the greys concluded he wasn’t from Earth after all and the study had to be abandoned. Beer o clock came early on the mothership.

6653F7EB-D643-43E7-BB0F-31EA74008874.jpeg
“ Throw this one back”
( pic Source: Tom Spina designs)

Or Houston could just have Anasta as a manager.

Last edited:

I was going to say the same thing ie why is he considering coming but the answer just might be right there in front us. Sheens has told him that Hastings won’t be there.

Could that be correct, throw away your best option at 7, one of the big 4 (spine 4 that is) for a guy who is potentially going to make it one day in Brooks.

Who’s to say Bateman is going to be the Bateman of the Canberra years? We have seen Hastings all be it, 1 season and he is what the Tigers have needed and continue to need.

Last edited: