What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

So I think with the current NRL teams the priorities should be (with Penrith assumed redone)

High priority

Canberra - new rectangular stadium closer to town with better crowd cover
Auckland - need a Suncorp style stadium either at Eden Park or closer to town and a smaller cricket only ground
Homebush - rebuilt with rectangular field and better viewing with "club mode" for 30-40k

Next
Brookvale - new main grandstand - maybe another on the eastern side
Shark Park - something to get another 5k seats
Wollongong - new main grandstand with an extra 5k seats and more Dragons home games

Next
Newcastle - another 5 - 10k capacity

at sharks, i believe that they will move to a 15k capacity once the work is completed.
you may ask what still actually needs to be done? they are creating a new entry and exit at the north end on the construction side so that you can safely exit in 3 of 4 corners.
they are also, going to renovate and re open the bars and toilets under the burns stand which is on the LC side.
they will also re open theupper peter burns corporate area.

so once they are at15k, i believe you need 5000 more from there.

how you do that, is a real question.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Let’s talk about a few other Olympic stadiums…

Seoul - has been used for football but currently untenanted
Atlanta - was converted into a baseball stadium after the games
Barcelona - renovated an existing stadium which has reverted to being used for football
Athens - was built and used for several major football events before the Olympics but has become dilapidated since the games
Rio - stadium is currently closed due to safety issues

Wb1234

Referee
Id say the IoC is stuck between a rock and hard place. Brisbane is an experiment for them. The rising costs of hosting the games is a real issue for its future viability but at the same time its the biggest sports event on the planet and I doubt holding it in substandard venues is going to be a great outcome long term. With sports tourism becoming an ever growing large revenue market there is fine balance to be found.

Personally Id rather see the IoC cut back on number of events and sports there by needing less venues and accommodation if it wants to save costs than locking people out of attending, or the experience of attending in modern facilities.

I was planning to go to the Brisbane games but now Im a bit ho hum until I see what the main venue is like (and if I can even get tickets with such a limited capacity)
Wow keep digging

Wb1234

Referee

Barcelona - renovated an existing stadium which has reverted to being used for football
Athens - was built and used for several major football events before the Olympics but has become dilapidated since the games
London west ham had to have hundred of millions spent to reduce capacity and it’s still an awful ground

bazza

Immortal

It will a world class day when we could add a Brisbane venue to that list

SLRBRONCOS

Referee

Totally agree. Comparing Olympic stadiums is a waste of our time. I mean, the most incredible Olympic Stadium was in Beijing, but sitting up the top you couldn't see shit, but you got to inhale approximately 20 durries worth of smog with every hour - nice! PR would have been happy there!

bazza

Immortal
London west ham had to have hundred of millions spent to reduce capacity and it’s still an awful ground
yeah - Sebastian Coe had a crazy idea that it had to be left as an athletics arena.
They wasted years to final get to the situation where it is a football stadium with more work to do

They also have an athletics track next door with not many facilities. At least Sydney ended up with a good athletics track with good facilities and a spare track next door

bazza

Immortal
Totally agree. Comparing Olympic stadiums is a waste of our time. I mean, the most incredible Olympic Stadium was in Beijing, but sitting up the top you couldn't see shit, but you got to inhale approximately 20 durries worth of smog with every hour - nice! PR would have been happy there!
Beijing seems to be another stadium that isn't used

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Beijing seems to be another stadium that isn't used
The only reason I didn’t bother putting China on this list is that I figure with the size of their economy and the CCP’s love of projecting china’s image to the world they simply didn’t care about chucking a big spend at an Olympics.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The Briabne Olympics should just upgrade Suncopr to 60k leave it at that. They would get some major stuff there as the best rect in the country.
They’ll need to host the athletics somewhere so they can’t just do Suncorp. But I 100% agree a 60K+ Suncorp for the opening and closing ceremonies as well as any sports that are suited to it is a no brainer.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Last edited: