What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Biggest sports event in the world, allowing as many people to experience it live as possible is a good thing. especially for the host city when most of them are overseas tourists.

But yes 60k is a good compromise size with the ability to add lower tiers after the event to make it rectangular. That is what both thew France and Italy stadium look like they are able to do. I guess in Brisabnes case it would have been ideal if you could knock down Suncorp and build a 60-65k new stadium on the site whch could then convert to prper rectanguler, but cost would have been ridiculous, so Gabba was the next best option where at least it would have got regular usage, even more so if Brisabne2 AFL club ever happens. But hey ho we'll end up with a sub standard Olympic stadium that schoolkids get to run around afterwards. Seems a good use of $1.6billion! At least Brisabne will get the honour of having the most expensive 14k amateur athletics stadium in the world!

Its gone from
$1bill to partly rebuilding the Gabba 50k to
$2.7bill to rebuild the Gabba 60k to
$3.4bill to build a new stadium 55k to
$1.6bill to stick some lipstick on a pig at QASC 40k

Whats next I wonder?
QSAC, not the Gabba is our athletics stadium. The way we are doing it will leave a legacy for athletics, not fumbleball.

The IOC approve this approach.

bazza

Immortal
They’ll need to host the athletics somewhere so they can’t just do Suncorp. But I 100% agree a 60K+ Suncorp for the opening and closing ceremonies as well as any sports that are suited to it is a no brainer.
yep - opening and closing ceremony plus at least 4 or 5 soccer matches should see it used every 2nd day at least
they should also build a 25k rectangular field somewhere nearby to host some of the other soccer matches along with the Gold Coast

jim_57

Staff member
yep - opening and closing ceremony plus at least 4 or 5 soccer matches should see it used every 2nd day at least
they should also build a 25k rectangular field somewhere nearby to host some of the other soccer matches along with the Gold Coast

Sunshine Coast stadium will be 20k for the games, 8K of that will be temp seats. So 2 6k stands I’m guessing. Likewise Cairns gets a permanent 5k stand with temp seating for another 10k.

Other venues listed are Cbus & QCB.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Upgrade Kayo, make it an appropriate sized venue for the Dolphins when they’re playing lower drawing opponents.

T-Boon

Coach
They’ll need to host the athletics somewhere so they can’t just do Suncorp. But I 100% agree a 60K+ Suncorp for the opening and closing ceremonies as well as any sports that are suited to it is a no brainer.
Gabba as is is fine for the athletics. Although probably the 100m men’s and marathon men’s could be in Suncorp. Woman’s? who cares?

Canard

Immortal
Sunshine Coast stadium will be 20k for the games, 8K of that will be temp seats. So 2 6k stands I’m guessing. Likewise Cairns gets a permanent 5k stand with temp seating for another 10k.

Other venues listed are Cbus & QCB.
Cairns isn't an Olympic venue, just a "warm up" one.

jim_57

Staff member
Upgrade Kayo, make it an appropriate sized venue for the Dolphins when they’re playing lower drawing opponents.

Privately owned so same situation as Cronulla, plus I doubt QLD government wants to spend on it if it means Suncorp’s second biggest tenant taking more games away.

I’d say a 20-25k stadium somewhere central like Perry Park would be more likely, Roar and Reds could play there. Maybe Victoria Park I hear they’ve done some research in to a stadium there…

Wb1234

Referee
Privately owned so same situation as Cronulla, plus I doubt QLD government wants to spend on it if it means Suncorp’s second biggest tenant taking more games away.

I’d say a 20-25k stadium somewhere central like Perry Park would be more likely, Roar and Reds could play there. Maybe Victoria Park I hear they’ve done some research in to a stadium there…
Ballymore is privately owned got a decent Olympics upgrade

Latest posts