What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Olympus 570UZ

BF

Juniors
I understand you have a budget, but i reckon you should save your money, get a DSLR (a canon 350d for example, can be had for about $5-600 on ebay). Start of with the kit lens (70-300mm), and when you have a bit more money upgrade to one of the better zoom lenses. Thats what i did.

when you talk about "night shots", u cant get good night photos without the use of a tripod.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
RE: Night Shots - i just mean a decent amount of light intake and a flash.

I took the below photo on my current camera, from about 20m away, inside a fairly well lit room.

100_4480.jpg

ridiculous - means that parties, and dinners are just about impossible. I just want something that can capture the other side of the room!

roopy

Referee
On your camera with 20 times zoom - i see that is equivalent to 520mm zoom on an SLR camera.
I use a lens on my SLR with a maximum zoom of 400mm which will get me a good picture from one end of a football field to the other - but even though my lens is image stabilised and cost me 3500 dollars i still have to have a very steady hand to not blurr photos with that sort of zoom.
Your camera says it is double image stabilised - whatever that means - and i'd say you have more zoom that i would have thought could be used without a tri-pod. Basically a little shake on your end would be a 6 foot movement at the end of 520mm zoom.

JessEel

yea fair enough - im not so much in it for the zoom. more the type of camera for the price range, plus the model below it came highly reccomended to me.

And re: editing photos.. thats all well and good, and i appreciate what you did, but considering the camera used to take that photo was worth $700 at time of purchase, its bullsh*t that i should hav to edit each and every photo i take.

BF

Juniors
And re: editing photos.. thats all well and good, and i appreciate what you did, but considering the camera used to take that photo was worth $700 at time of purchase, its bullsh*t that i should hav to edit each and every photo i take.

Mate my photo gear is worth about 4-5 times that amount. Im not a pro, but enjoy it as a hobby and every single photo that i take gets edited to some degree.

Its part and parcel of taking photo's

JessEel

yea but your photos are probably quite good at first, and even better when you edit them.

like the case above, for the photo to be any good at all, i would have to edit every one of them!

BF

Juniors
what was your ISO setting when you took the photo?

20 meters is a fair distance, id be taking a photo like that on at least 100mm + focal length and id be putting my ISO up to 800+.

Not being a smart arse, but i wouldnt have bothered editing the photo, i would have deleted it. moved closer and recomposed.

Schillaci

Juniors
how about a tripod to allow for a longer exposure?

A flash is pretty useless for anything over 10 metres away. The other thing with a flash is it will highlight the subject but the background will be very dark.

Latest posts