What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1-5

ozbash

Referee
its gone past 1 or 2 players having a bad day. the team is in trouble big time.

the mutts will piss all over us next week if we play like that and it will be 1 (lucky imho) win from 5 games.

whats the cure ?

Meth

Staff member
Buggered if I know.

I mean we can all see that there's something wrong, and we all have opinions as to what we need to do differently.

But only those blokes know what's really happening.

BTW...on the bright side, we have a decent run after the bye, which should allow us to get a few back to backs

Robster

Bench
If you guys can't admit that Murph proved lots of people wrong yesterday, then you must have mistaken Murphy for Fa'afili, true he made a couple of mistakes that Francis and Henry are more likely to make, but he ran straight and always looked to have a impact for the Warriors team, I emialed Murph this week to get involved more , dunno if my email had some impact to him. Fa'afili has played one great performance in the last 3 seasons and that was against Manly last week, yesterday he went back to body and kept running sideways, his style of play isn't good enough, if Fa'afili gets selected for the Kiwis then if Murphy was a kiwi Justin would diffently be in the squad. Francis has to come back to get more strength in the backline, winger of the year last year, and will find his mark when the Warriors win more games.

ozbash

Referee
murphy scored a good try, he made 5 hit ups ? gaining a total of 17 inches.
meli, at his ball dropping worst easily beats him.
henry defensively is 3 times the player.
murphy had a better game last night but he is nothing more than a fill in..

why does DA put our 2 supposedly front line props on the field for 17 mins in the first half,then bench them for the remaining 23 ?
why does DA put our 2 supposedly front line props on the field for 20 mins in the 2nd half and then take them off.?
we dont have anybody to replace them,jobson was keen but lacked experience,te mata was too small, feka is somewhere else, and lauaki is now a 2nd rower.

its crazy,, watch martin lange, on for 15,off for 15 then back on for the last 10.and thats in just 40 minutes, he does the same in the 2nd half!
the guy runs like he has a fence batten up his arse but he is effective, he makes an impact.
robbie kearns, shane webcke etc etc likewise.

whats wrong with villa and seuseu ? are they unfit?

the way our bench is uttilised is costing us imo.

lauititi should FO back to his honeymoon, his heart and brain are somewhere else.

the warriors are becoming boring.
even their famous flair is becoming predictable.

if we make the 8 this season, i will be surprised.

Robster

Bench
ozbash serously Murphy was at least 3 times that henry was last nite, Im sure he made at least 8 hitups and plenty of metres, fa'afili has no go forward game, at least with Murph you'll see more metres in a set of 6 when Murphy takes a hitup compared to Henry. Lets see the stats for the wingers in both sides last night, and I'll prove it to you.

Iafeta

Referee
Goodness sakes that was a heartless performance. These players need to be told A: Its not a right to wear the Warriors logo, its a sacred priveledge B: they need to get to a Jenny Craig clinic. Fair dinkum, all off season they talked of bulking up. That was ludicrous talk. One thing, we were one of the biggest packs in the comp, secondly our lateral defensive movement and line defensive speed is slow, therefore, you need more acceleration work not to bulk up.

Look at Perry, he's a big bopper, but he made a heck of a lot of tackles coming up quickly and was willing to put his hand up. While he was doing that, Seu Seu and Villa were sipping water on the sidelines. Is this some sort of joke???

The Dogs will win by 40 next week.

ThrashViking

Juniors
Well,I will be turning 20 on friday and for my birthday im going to the Bulldogs game.
Is it worth being heart broking on my big day? :(

Iafeta

Referee
Masterton TV? Grew up there before going to the Coast.

Sorry mate, yes its going to hurt. Unless the players take some initiative, which going on the Dragons effort, the Knights effort and their general fitness and leadership, no chance.

Anonymous

Juniors
we dont have anybody to replace them,jobson was keen but lacked experience,te mata was too small, feka is somewhere else, and lauaki is now a 2nd rower

How is Te Mata too small? He's bigger than Jobson and at 105kg and about 6'2'' he has ample size to play any position. He's at least as big as Adrian Morley and Mark O'Meley and nobody says they're too small to play prop.

Iafeta

Referee
I don't think he has confidence in his size. He runs like a p!ss ant snail. Stutter, stutter, dive at the feet. Run with pride. Run with venom. Go forward and hard. He's like, I'll make 3 metres and take the tackle. Safety first. F*** safety first, run hard. If he ran with the conviction of Lauaki and Paleaaesina, he would be a very good NRL player.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I dont know what the cure is, but as far as I'm concerned the three things hurting us the most are the lack of yardage being gained by our big men (dont get the lengthy Seu Seu/Villa benching, either Ozbash, theyre crucial players), the lack of a cohesive halves pairing and Stacey probably being in the worst form I've seen. His timing is shot & for the first time I can recall, he doesnt look happy to be on the park.
How we get him back to his best, I dont know. Whether or not his groin problems will allow him to get back to his best, I dont know either.

Iafeta

Referee
Auckland4ever said:
I dont know what the cure is, but as far as I'm concerned the three things hurting us the most are the lack of yardage being gained by our big men (dont get the lengthy Seu Seu/Villa benching, either Ozbash, theyre crucial players), the lack of a cohesive halves pairing and Stacey probably being in the worst form I've seen. His timing is shot & for the first time I can recall, he doesnt look happy to be on the park.
How we get him back to his best, I dont know. Whether or not his groin problems will allow him to get back to his best, I dont know either.

Here's a few things I'd try

* Paleaaesina into the run on side, Villa to the bench. That way, if you get your rotations right, for most of the game you should have either Seu Seu or Villa in combination with Paleaaesina or Lauaki.
* If Guttenbeil is out next week, I'd also bring Vatuvei onto the bench. When the first prop comes off, I'd put Vatuvei onto the wing and Meli into prop. Meli always gets involved carting the ball forward, and has the defensive power. Sometimes his reads are out, which you'd not have so much playing tighter to the ruck because the space is less fractured than out wide. Vatuvei could then take Meli's roll of working it off the line with Henry when getting out of our danger zone. It also gives us a couple of extra strike weapons.
* Sports pyschology at the Warriors - notably reviewing in a package of sports pychologists do, highlights of 2002 and what made it so good. Jones' banana kicks, him taking the ball flat at the line and using his speed/step, and offload to dazzle his opponents. Remember the UK tour when he took the ball at the line in the Brits territory constantly, stepped his way into big holes under the sticks? Thats the Jones I know and love, not this council shoveller - sit on the shovel, wait for the ball to come and then shovel it onto the next bloke. I'd even consider sitting Jones down to watch Carlos Spencer last weekend, Carlos played it brilliantly, he attacked, and mesmorised his opponents with good body language, fakes, and ability to manoevre people into give him very creative and dangerous options. I'd end the pyschology with shots of the 2002 Grand Final, especially the aftermath. The pain, the torment and the look on the Chooks face. I'd then reassure them that Brad Fittler that night can still be all of you in October 2004, provided you work hard.

Given that, and given Gutts may be out, I'd look at this team, 1 Webb 2 Fa'afili 3 Toopi 4 Martin 5 Meli 6 Hohaia/Perenara (definitely not that surname coat tailer Leuluai) 7 Jones (c - make him captain and give him the reason to play well) 8 Seu Seu 9 Latu 10 Paleaaesina 11 Lauitiiti 12 V Anderson 13 Faumuina Bench L Anderson Villasanti Vatuvei Lauaki. If Gutts in in, Vatuvei drops off the bench or perhaps we look to putting Fa'afili into fullback and Webb into five eighth with Vatuvei on the wing.

Subtle changes in positions, but more complex and hopefully encouraging changes mentally. That, along with the fitness/fatigue side of things is where the Warriors are falling down.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'd put Vatuvei onto the wing and Meli into prop. Meli always gets involved carting the ball forward, and has the defensive power. Sometimes his reads are out, which you'd not have so much playing tighter to the ruck because the space is less fractured than out wide. Vatuvei could then take Meli's roll of working it off the line with Henry when getting out of our danger zone. It also gives us a couple of extra strike weapons.

While I can't see it, I absolutely agree with your reasoning re: Meli. I think he would be an excellent defender in the middle of a ruck. He's more agile than our bigger forwards and hits harder than most of them too.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Iafeta said:
Here's a few things I'd try
* Paleaaesina into the run on side, Villa to the bench. That way, if you get your rotations right, for most of the game you should have either Seu Seu or Villa in combination with Paleaaesina or Lauaki.
* If Guttenbeil is out next week, I'd also bring Vatuvei onto the bench. When the first prop comes off, I'd put Vatuvei onto the wing and Meli into prop. Meli always gets involved carting the ball forward, and has the defensive power. Sometimes his reads are out, which you'd not have so much playing tighter to the ruck because the space is less fractured than out wide. Vatuvei could then take Meli's roll of working it off the line with Henry when getting out of our danger zone. It also gives us a couple of extra strike weapons.
* Sports pyschology at the Warriors - notably reviewing in a package of sports pychologists do, highlights of 2002 and what made it so good. Jones' banana kicks, him taking the ball flat at the line and using his speed/step, and offload to dazzle his opponents. Remember the UK tour when he took the ball at the line in the Brits territory constantly, stepped his way into big holes under the sticks? Thats the Jones I know and love, not this council shoveller - sit on the shovel, wait for the ball to come and then shovel it onto the next bloke. I'd even consider sitting Jones down to watch Carlos Spencer last weekend, Carlos played it brilliantly, he attacked, and mesmorised his opponents with good body language, fakes, and ability to manoevre people into give him very creative and dangerous options. I'd end the pyschology with shots of the 2002 Grand Final, especially the aftermath. The pain, the torment and the look on the Chooks face. I'd then reassure them that Brad Fittler that night can still be all of you in October 2004, provided you work hard.
:clap: Good stuff.

playdaball

Bench
Having Latu in the side (good runner, keen etc) gives an imbalance to the bench as he has to become a regular sub due to his condition. I thought that Te Mata had a great defensive game. His tackles are effective.
Meli may feature in the forwards this week,perhaps via the bench?.
As I have said for some time I'd love to see an experienced Aussie in the forwards to give some leadership and direction (i.e. - Campion). I used to watch Cleary at games especially the way he directed players such as Henry, Meli and Hape. With Monty not there our leadership options are down. DA was talking about Meli, SeuSeu and Awen but these guys do not appear to do much talking on the field.

Robster

Bench
ozbash how many metres hitups do you think Fa'afili made compared to Justin Murphy? Does anyone have the stats?

AuckMel

Bench
Robster said:
ozbash how many metres hitups do you think Fa'afili made compared to Justin Murphy? Does anyone have the stats?

From nrl.com

Fa'afili: 5 tackles, 12 hit ups for 92 metres
Murphy: 7 tackles, 14 hit ups for 146 metres
Toopi: 26 tackles, 17 hit ups for 123 metres

And people wonder why Toopi couldn't make ground on Abraham.

Latest posts