What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dally M Awards Discussion

typicalfan

Coach
The only guys in contention were Luke O'Donnell and Luke Lewis had he played more football. But I don't mind Stagg winning it

TimmyB

Juniors
It's alot harder to score points if you're in a good team than a poor team, and that doesn't truly reflect the performance throughout a season.
I never understand this argument.

Dally M judges will always pick the the 3 points, 1 point and sometimes 2 points from the winning team. Even if you have a blinder in a losing team, you're unlikely to get the 3 points. Additionally, it's a lot harder to play well if you are a half playing behind a sh*t forward pack.

Often there will be no standout in a winning team, in which case the points go to one of the stars. If your side is winning more than another team, you've got more chance of snagging 3 points after a solid but unspectacular performance.

Another point, if you play for a sh*t team, then you probably have to do more to get your team over the line.

I personally think all of the awards are a farce, but at the end of the day, probably the two best players in the comp this season got the big prizes.

It's alot harder to score points if you're in a good team than a poor team, and that doesn't truly reflect the performance throughout a season.

if you're in a poor team it's hard to score points because you're likely to get smashed every week. I don't know how people can't see this.

caylo

Bench
[FKN-SIK];6093270 said:
NSW = 0/2 with Farah

NSW = 1/1 with Ennis

There's a start lol

I thought ennis' game suited NSW better but TBH Farah has been far and away the best hooker in the comp this year in the NRL regular season. While Ennis played better in one origin game then Farah doesnt mean that he should take the award out IMO.

I thought Morris did well this year but IMO Jennings has been the best centre but maybe his period in the middle of the year injured kept him from winning it.

Cant disagree with Watmough, Stagg(no real comp), Thurston (Kimmorly and Prince would have been close), Hayne, Tauaki and Soward. I thought Hannat was lucky to win it with the amount of footy he missed, Poore, Weyman or Fui would have been better pick IMO (maybe neither polled enough votes with other stand out performs - nominations are the players that polled highest in the position).

ByRd

First Grade
up the dogs, good to see the st merge fans so bitter haha

But Idris should not of gotten ROTY- imo it should of been Croker or Dugan.

Red Bear

Referee
lol, farah 24 points and ennis 19
SO lets give Ennis hooker of the year

Farah was instrumental in just about every Tigers win, shouldn'[t have played origin 2 injured but he was definately the best hooker this year.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
if you're in a poor team it's hard to score points because you're likely to get smashed every week. I don't know how people can't see this.
On the contrary, if you're in a team that is say a fringe top 8 side, with mostly mediocre players, but 2 or 3 good ones its alot easier to poll high points compared to a side that is strong across the park and having 10 guys competing for points.

The winning tally tonight was 30 points, which means 10 games you need to poll 3 points, thats disregarding points gained in losses. Even the pretty poor sides in this comp won 10 games. In fact only 4 didn't and the Raiders won 9. If you've got one player performing in those sides it's always pretty easy for them to poll well whenever they win. Whereas you get a team on top of the comp, clearly many more players of their's are performing.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think Idris deserved it tbh... he played most of the season. IIRC Dugan and Morts weren't really around until the latter half of the season.

Idris played 5 more games than Dugan ???

You must be huffing glue if you think that Idris has had the same impact in first grade as either of those players. I'd argue that Idris hasn't even been as good as Croker who played as many games as he has.

Just having a quick glance of the statistics it seems that Croker makes more line breaks and more metres a game. Of course I used NRL.com which is often hilariously wrong.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Hasn't stopped top placed players winning the Dally M before.
No I agree, but it often sees some guys in lower sides scrape in whilst guys in higher placed sides have still probably performed better yet don't get anywhere near the top 10.

The system should be weighted based on win or loss, and every player get a rating for their performance. It'd give a much more accurate representation of a players season. Players like Sutton and Gidley were in the top 10 from memory, I wouldn't say consistency or performance wise they were in the top 10 players for the season. Yet someone like Kimmorely was incredibly consistent and was well down in the top 10.

On the contrary, if you're in a team that is say a fringe top 8 side, with mostly mediocre players, but 2 or 3 good ones its alot easier to poll high points compared to a side that is strong across the park and having 10 guys competing for points.

The winning tally tonight was 30 points, which means 10 games you need to poll 3 points, thats disregarding points gained in losses. Even the pretty poor sides in this comp won 10 games. In fact only 4 didn't and the Raiders won 9. If you've got one player performing in those sides it's always pretty easy for them to poll well whenever they win. Whereas you get a team on top of the comp, clearly many more players of their's are performing.

How many players could rack up 10 man of the match performances in a season? If you can single handedly keep your team in finals contention, you're generally a bloody good player.

:lol: I love the Dogs fans especially Timmah trying to justify Idris winning ROTY.

Get it through your thick skulls, he didn't deserve to win. If it wasn't for him having an unusual name and looking the way he does he would be NOBODY. Face it.

Croker, Dugan and Mortimer sh*t all over this tub of lard I'm afraid :lol:

ramble_on

Juniors
animosity towards Idris because some idiots gave him an award he was most definitely not best suited to, yeah that makes sense.....

I'm surprised there are people who take awards seriously.... by sheer definition an awards ceremony is agenda driven... the ONLY awards that should be given even the slightest bit of credence would be the players choice awards and even there you'd find some hidden agendas influencing results.....

well done to all winners.... don't forget to pat your managers on the back....

Timbo

Staff member
I'm not knocking Idris. Not a bad player.

I'm knocking the shocking decision to give him the award which frankly he did not deserve. I can think of at least 4 rookies (Dugan, Mortimer, Locke, Croker) far, far, faaaaar more deserving.

Gaba

First Grade
up the dogs, good to see the st merge fans so bitter haha
no it will show the bulldogs choked when the they had the minor premiership but lost it and if they dont win another game this year another choke

as their captain said the bulldogs dont rely on one player, yet the bulldogs fans are using kimmorley as a excuse for thier lost in the last round and in the finals when they dont win a game LOL

Last edited: