What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suncorp Stadium on Fire

Without_a_Spoon

Juniors
BRISBANE'S Suncorp Stadium is on fire after rising flood waters short circuited after, fire-fighters believe, a generator box short circuited after rising flood waters.
Smoke is streaming out of a second story vent where it is believed a generator lurks behind.

With Brisbane River having broken its banks flood waters have begun flooding through Brisbane city and right now the water level is about 1-1.2m high on the ground floor of Suncorp stadium.

As yet the playing surface inside is yet to be covered in water.

However, streets surrounding the stadium have flooded well over 1m and close to 2m high.

Fire fighters are currently outside the stadium determining how they can get inside to put out the fire that is burning on the western side of the ground.

Shortly after 10.30am a large explosion boomed from behind the vent, sending black plumes of smoke billowing into the air.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"There's been a secondary explosion from the vicinity of the substation," a fireman said over radio.

As an alarm bell continues to ring as background noise, firefighters have gained access to nearby rooftops to check for damage and a current safety status.

They are still trying to find a way into the stadium

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/suncorp-stadium-on-fire/story-e6freuy9-1225986138040

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
It was suggested this morning that things may not return to normal in SE Queensland for months and aside from the human loss - which is clearly infinitely more important than a game of rugby league - I did wonder how this disaster was going to effect the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys (if the floods have reached the far north) and therefore the NRL season as a whole.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
jesus f'ing christ...

if suncorp is underwater, that's a pretty full river!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
223714960.jpg

I imagine the next game or two for Brisbane Roar will be in jeopardy, but one would think the stadium would be well and truly ready in time for the A-League finals and NRL season opener.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
No sh*t! I had a dream about Suncorp being all messed up last night!

Don't read too much in to it though. I had a dream about me, Miranda Kerr, the Smokin Hotties from fuel TV and a tub of Vaseline last week too, which just ended in me being all messed up.....

I hope that happens too though. Really. I do.

chefman21

Juniors
223714960.jpg

I imagine the next game or two for Brisbane Roar will be in jeopardy, but one would think the stadium would be well and truly ready in time for the A-League finals and NRL season opener.

Doubt they will play many games out of Suncorp if it gets much worse.... Not sure stadiums have the capacity to handle floods despite how good drainage is supposed to be.

Danish

Referee
you'd think someone would have thought to shut the power off in suncorp in between taking those photos to avoid all this fire mess....

Hopefully there isn't too much damage to the ground. You'd think if anywhere is Brissy was going to drain quickly it'd be a football stadium. Mind you with the lack of sunlight the ground gets it could be a while

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
saw an image on news last night of lang park during the 1974 floods...

if we reach those levels, the photo above will be nothing...

franklin2323

Immortal
jesus f'ing christ...

if suncorp is underwater, that's a pretty full river!

I was just going to write the same thing Suncorp is a fair distance from the river and to see that a fair bit under water give you an idea of the level

Timbo

Staff member
Just on 9 news - the playing surface is underwater whilst parts of the building itself are on fire.

Whilst the playing of football means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, I daresay this will impact on the Roar and Bronco's. I imagine Ballymore would be the fall-back point?

Timmah

Staff member
I dare say the FFA will do what it always has this season, find a new date to play it once the stadium is ok. Next game is set down for Sunday - Roar v Wellington, and is more than likely to be postponed, although the FFA are yet to confirm that.

BTW it's Broncos, not Bronco's. :p

Timbo

Staff member
I dare say the FFA will do what it always has this season, find a new date to play it once the stadium is ok. Next game is set down for Sunday - Roar v Wellington, and is more than likely to be postponed, although the FFA are yet to confirm that.

BTW it's Broncos, not Bronco's. :p

It looks pretty severe Timmah, I daresay a postponement won't do it.

Brutus

Referee
The Roar should be playing at Perry Park anyway.

Lang Park in 1974 was scary.

It wasn't long before they were playing footy on it again though.

Timmah

Staff member
It looks pretty severe Timmah, I daresay a postponement won't do it.

No doubt it's severe, but with modern drainage systems the way they are (depending on how bad it gets), eventually they should be able to recover the surface within a couple of weeks. It'll only impact beyond that if the surface needs a complete repair (which is possible).

Either way I can't see it impacting on the Broncos NRL season.

Timmah

Staff member
The Roar should be playing at Perry Park anyway.

Lang Park in 1974 was scary.

It wasn't long before they were playing footy on it again though.

Perry Park is just next to Bowen Hills which has been affected by flooding too.

Danish

Referee
Lets just hope if they do have to replace the surface we don't end up with another year of sandcorp injuries.

Latest posts