What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Craig Bellamy: If we expand, Perth or Brisbane are my prefered destinations

Beowulf

Juniors
The facts are that Brisbane sh*ts all over the CC in virtually every facet. Only Bears people can't see this, or choose not to.

Shame Bellamy (and you) are in the minority. So Wayne Bennett's thoughts can be ignored but Bellamy's are gospel?!!!!

Latest I heard this afternoon the pecking order is Central Coast then Perth then CQLD then Ipswich. But what would I know, right?!!!!! :D

Not sure what influence a coach has on the IC and NRL. Actually I do know. F#% all! I'd prefer to have David Gallop on my side, thanks very much.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The CC Bears would more than likely pull an average crowd of 18000 give or take in their first year. That's a point that is hard to argue against.

What is more difficult to argue is whether that will be case five years down the track. Can a Bears supporter explain why they wouldn't be pulling 10-12000 five years down the track once the luster wears off?

I only ask as it seems very risky to add a side in a heartland area that would be averaging less than the current crowd average.

gallagher

Juniors
Shame Bellamy (and you) are in the minority. So Wayne Bennett's thoughts can be ignored but Bellamy's are gospel?!!!!

Latest I heard this afternoon the pecking order is Central Coast then Perth then CQLD then Ipswich. But what would I know, right?!!!!! :D

Not sure what influence a coach has on the IC and NRL. Actually I do know. F#% all! I'd prefer to have David Gallop on my side, thanks very much.
Beowolf, you claimed in another thread a few weeks ago that ch9 and fox where both desperate to televise a particular game on the CC. How you going with a link to that claim? Been a few weeks, found it yet? because you never re-posted in that thread after that claim.

Beowulf

Juniors
This pecking order, it's just your wet dream right? It certainly has no basis in reality.

Too old for them. But since a few seem to think gleefully the Bears won't be the first license granted, here's exactly why a Brisbane side won't happen for 2013 or 2014...
- News Ltd own the local paper.
- News Ltd part own the Broncos.
-News Ltd have final say on rights till 2027.
- Will News Ltd give any assistance to a new side? Will News ALLOW another side, more to the point.
- Titans are new and struggling to break even
- Titans facing AFL Suns from this year
- David Gallop said last week the NRL have major concerns re sporting congestion in Brisbane, the impact a new team would have on the Broncos and their doubts another Brisbane side would get support. CQLD got more praise from him than SEQ bids. And he praised the Bears and Reds the most....again.
- the bookies have a Brisbane side around 4th on the line of betting
- Ipswich I can understand as its grassroots, but Brisbane2? A disgruntled supporter sets up a structural clone of his opponent and calls on people who don't like the way the Broncos operate to follow his identical model!!!
- the SEQ bids are just in the start up phases - in 18 months they will be where CC is now - perfect preparation for whoevers left standing for a 2017/8 entry.
- how many SEQ bids now...3? 4? brisbane only has a limited corporate pool - with most already taken by the Broncos, Reds, Roar (probably more now), Lions. Each bid will divide that tiny available pool thus rendering each unsustainable.

You may be unaware, but the Bears catchment area includes North Sydney/Chatswood/Noth Ryde - combined, its 3rd to Sydney's CBD and Melbourne in size...and there's not one national team representing the area! Hence Gallops desire to bring these corporates into the NRL fold via the Bears.

And if we want to talk population, 1.1 million have no team in the CC catchment and more importantly, no access to a team within easy reach. Even Ipswich is closer and has far easier access to the Brisbane CDB than CC Bears fans would have to travel to watch ANY NRL game. The nearest ground is Brookvale and you can't get there by public transport from the Cosat/north shore by public transport, and if you drive you can't park! Not that many from the Coast or north shore would go to watch the Sea Eagles anyway! Another point mentioned by David Gallop last week.

In a nutshell, the Bears bring the NRL financial industry corporates, guaranteed support home and away and a grassroots heartland bid that is ready now while WA bring mining corporates, TV slots, a new market, a national profile and will be ready soon.

Nice symmetry - together the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

And that about covers the expansion topic for 2013/4.

gallagher

Juniors
Too old for them. But since a few seem to think gleefully the Bears won't be the first license granted, here's exactly why a Brisbane side won't happen for 2013 or 2014...
- Will News Ltd give any assistance to a new side? Will News ALLOW another side, more to the point.
- David Gallop said last week the NRL have major concerns re sporting congestion in Brisbane, the impact a new team would have on the Broncos and their doubts another Brisbane side would get support. CQLD got more praise from him than SEQ bids. And he praised the Bears and Reds the most....again.
- Ipswich I can understand as its grassroots, but Brisbane2? A disgruntled supporter sets up a structural clone of his opponent and calls on people who don't like the way the Broncos operate to follow his identical model!!!
- the SEQ bids are just in the start up phases - in 18 months they will be where CC is now - perfect preparation for whoevers left standing for a 2017/8 entry.
- how many SEQ bids now...3? 4? brisbane only has a limited corporate pool - with most already taken by the Broncos, Reds, Roar (probably more now), Lions. Each bid will divide that tiny available pool thus rendering each unsustainable.

You may be unaware, but the Bears catchment area includes North Sydney/Chatswood/Noth Ryde - combined, its 3rd to Sydney's CBD and Melbourne in size...and there's not one national team representing the area! Hence Gallops desire to bring these corporates into the NRL fold via the Bears.

And if we want to talk population, 1.1 million have no team in the CC catchment and more importantly, no access to a team within easy reach. Even Ipswich is closer and has far easier access to the Brisbane CDB than CC Bears fans would have to travel to watch ANY NRL game. The nearest ground is Brookvale and you can't get there by public transport from the Cosat/north shore by public transport, and if you drive you can't park! Not that many from the Coast or north shore would go to watch the Sea Eagles anyway! Another point mentioned by David Gallop last week.

In a nutshell, the Bears bring the NRL financial industry corporates, guaranteed support home and away and a grassroots heartland bid that is ready now while WA bring mining corporates, TV slots, a new market, a national profile and will be ready soon.

blah blah blah blah blah, hows that link about ch9 and fox wanting to televise games at CC going?

gallagher

Juniors

So you cant gaurantee that away support when they play Manly, supposedly a big local derby? Your contradictions usually happen between posts, congrats it happened in the space of 2 sentences this time.

Loudstrat

Coach
The 4k crowds came in 1997 when SL ripped the guts out of all crowds. The only major newspaper in Brisbane is a News Ltd one, so how much press do you reckon the Crushers got in '97?
The SL War actually started after round 3, 1995, so after the Courier Mail's blackout, they averaged 21k.

Big impact.

Even Newcastle had its worst ever crowds that year by a significant margin, and they won the comp.
500 people aint significant. Besides, winning the comp only affects crowds of that year if fans are able to go back in time. :lol: You aint the sharpest tool in the shed, are ya!
The Crushers got bigger crowds in their first season than CC are capable of getting. The Crushers averaged more than can fit in the CC stadium!
Where do you think the CC are going to play? A f*cking phone box???? Over their life the Crushers averaged 13683. Wow. What a need.
And we do know where the new club will play, I told you, Suncorp
Ipswich/Logan bid have said they will play at Suncorp? Have you got a link?
The bids may be relatively slow off the mark, but the fact they are already tipped by most people to be included shows how quickly they have caught up
.They are only "tipped" because Brisbane is bigger. If the 2 bids sabotage each other, you are f*cked. Let alone the sabotage from the Broncos. Then you have to have unity among those represented by both bids to be behind one. Imagine if the Ipswitch bid got up, and the 2nd Briosbane bid hopefuls told them to f*ck off. It would be crushers all over again.
And the Bears are not guaranteed anything. The juniors they have now are crap. They won't be producing too many NRL players out of the current crop.
Wow, you have checked down as far as the under 9's have you?
And their crowds can't possibly average more than 20,000. Yes, Brisbane is mostly based on potential, but it has a 100 times more potential than the CC.
So a second Brisbane bid will attract an average gate of 1.7 million per game?
And that's what this process is about - potential. No bids are ready to run onto a field so potential is all that can be judged.
Ha - you havent gotten past the stage where a few groups of locals in different suburbs holding think tanks at the local pub ffs!

The CC Bears would more than likely pull an average crowd of 18000 give or take in their first year. That's a point that is hard to argue against.

What is more difficult to argue is whether that will be case five years down the track. Can a Bears supporter explain why they wouldn't be pulling 10-12000 five years down the track once the luster wears off?

I only ask as it seems very risky to add a side in a heartland area that would be averaging less than the current crowd average.
No. No one could explain why they would pull crowds like a second Brisbane team would. It's Brisbane that needs to answer that question, because they have the form. The Bears don't.

We saw the 4k crowds once the lustre wore off a second Brisbane bid.

The fact that the CC bid already has fans - the hoards of old Bears fans coming out of the woodwork, PLUS new fans adopting the local side.

Its a safe bet that, upon admission, the Bears would outsell all other clubs in merchandise for a start.

Where are your fans of the second Brisbane side? I can show you plenty of Bears fans.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Thanks, but it proves my point. Unless they build a 40k seater there is no guarantee of having the average 27k each and every year that East Coast suggests, just because they play a few seasons at Suncorp. More likely it will be a 25k Robina clone.

And if not? How the hell would an Ipswich club service its fan if they have to go all the way to Suncorp forever? The point of having an Ipswich bid is to capitalise on the value of Ipswich, and if they don't play there, they cant.

Its like the dimwit Queenslander who reckoned they should call it Western Queensland, and attract all those fans in places like Charleville and Longreach. And play at Suncorp!!!!

You idiots up there are so far behind the competition - have you invented the wheel up there yet?

and again, i ask, did you also conveniently, miss the part where he said he had concerns about the congestion between the central coast and newcastle

Goddo

Bench

Bennett is more concerned with the consequences of expansion. I think he would rather not expand at all when you listen to his comments.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Minor, and probably irrelevant point: Bellamy is coach of the team which was built on the carcass of the last Perth team (which was unjustly punted in favour of the purple scum, in my opinion).

Loudstrat

Coach
True! Get Perth Red to understand that but!. He still has some obscure revenge motive on NSW, and jizzes over Melbourne.

Doesn't change the fact that the sentimental favorites, as some would call them, still have more support both financially and community based than any other bid. Doesn't change the fact that Craig is one man with one opinion, much like an opposing coach i.e. Matthew Elliott is (however he prefers CC & Perth).

Doesn't change the fact David Gallop has enthusiastically mentioned CC & Perth for over the past 18 months or the fact Gallop is favouring Ipswich/Western Corridor over Brisbane anyways due to Brisbane's impact on the Broncos and the congestion in the city itself, while Ipswich much like CC have no actual team.

Doesn't change the fact that the Central Coast Bears bid is submitted in 12 days and has achieved even more corporate backing than I have mentioned. Or the fact Barry O'Farrell has guaranteed part funding of the CCBears state of the art center of sports excellence or the fact the CCBear's have 6200 financial members which has equalled around $320,000 just from that. That's before the millions being pumped in by sponsors, corporate backers and share holders.

How does the saying go? Money talks and BS walks?

oh get over it, mate.

its not going to happen.

Like I said previously, and pin this on your wall, champ:
Putting a side on the central coast was a good idea around the year 2000. Not in 2011. Your time is done.

What really made a team on the central coast great back then is that it REDUCED THE COMP by one team.

Its time to put down your ideal. Accept it won't happen. And try and move forward. You will never recover from this, I guess, but if you move forward, maybe one day it will be a distant and untroubling memory.

Other things you can do is drink yourself to death, take a lot of drugs if you are not already, and start a team on paper - in your own living room!!

:) no really, i feel for ya. its just not a good idea anymore .

The bid may be more advanced, but its only because these fanatics have been working day and night on this bloody thing for ages to restore "old pride". lol. It may be bigger now, have more money, even stole a center of excellence idea from the titans who stole it from someone else...but its potential is no where near the other 2 bids mentioned. And it would end up being the smaller of the 3 teams.

Lay down your guns. Its over. You would drag down the league, though you realize it not.

IF you could get a merger up there, sure. Sounds great. But otherwise no. Someone had to say it. I admire your effort, we all admire your effort but its not going to happen.

And it brings me great sadness that we cannot restore old pride, but as I wipe away the tears, I smile with joy at the booty awaiting us in Perth and Brisbane!!! Brisvegas, baaaabaaaaay!!

Here is something: why life is not fair.

Life isn't fair and that's great news. What am I doing? I'm re-framing. We are each born with our own lot and others have their biases and prejudices. This is good news because it also means you can turn things in your favour.

A lot of people say, “That's not right, that's not just, that's NOT FAIR!!” And you know what, that's true. Because fairness is an ideal. And what do you have when you got one of those, right? A lead balloon. So the fact is that life is not fair. Nothing is fair. Maybe, in the grand scheme of things there is some balance that happens in the universe and it will all balance out to be fair. But things are not fair. Its not fair. You weren't born fair, you're not going to get a fair anything.

But the fact is that if everything WAS fair, then you'd just have to accept your place in life. You'd have nothing you could do about it. If life was fair, you know, you'd live in some kind of socialist society and you'd kinda just do your thing, and that would be it: here is what you do, and here is your bread and wait in line and whatever. Things are not fair, but that is the best news there could possibly be because you could turn things in your favour. Because things aren't fair that's where all the POWER comes from. So, if you think like a victim when you say, “Life isn't fair and I got screwed, and I got to work harder this time than that person and that's not fair, and blah blah blah,” and you complain...but if you go “Ah, lifes not fair, I can turn things in my favour; I may have to work a little harder but I can do it.” That changes everything.

All the worlds richest people right now, you know they didn't have anything when they started, they were all just regular people basically and they built huge fortunes and success.

Consistent effort creates luck as in “Lets go get lucky.” Two keys are definite major purpose and constant improvement. (Napoleon Hill and W. Edwards Deming respectively) Know what you want and never let roadblocks stand in your way.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
The SL War actually started after round 3, 1995, so after the Courier Mail's blackout, they averaged 21k.

The Crushers didn't commit to ARL until well after Rnd 3 1995.

They were a real chance of joining Super League throughout 95
and into 96.