What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Players whose careers were cut short through injury

I cant remember but did Brett Firman get injured and then disappear into obscurity or did he just fade away? I remember him having an absolutely massive year before he signed to the Cowboys where he didnt quite click with our style of play, not sure what happened with him after that.

Had an outstanding debut season for us. The next year, he had a running battle with Head for the halfback position, but broke his leg.

Then went to the Roosters, then onto the Cowboys, where I'm pretty sure he was a part of their 2005 run to the Grand Final (played off the bench that game I think?)

Haven't seen much of him since

Interestingly, after checking him out on Wiki, he identified himself as one of the first people, alongside Matt Johns, to have had sex with that woman in Christchurch in 2002.

RABK

Referee
Andrew Johns neck is an obvious one. Infact he played nearly his entire career with chronic groin, neck and knee injuries yet still achieved all he did.

Paul Harragons knees ended his career at the age of 30. I'd say Tallis neck injury ended his career, he came back half the player and retired just after turning 31.

Robbie Ross, Tim Brasher and Luke Phillips were three tremendous fullbacks cut down by injury.

RABK

Referee
Jarrod McCracken retired after been speared against the Storm. From memory tigers were having a great year, been in the top 4 midway through the year and McCracken was in great form as captain. They (The Tigers) fell away for 2 years after that.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Yeah, it seemed like a great start to the JV, but there was very poor depth IMO, and the coaching just wasn't up to the task. Quite the history against the storm too.

Kearneys spear tackle, Williams blindsiding buckets and Slater kicking Skando in the face.

mongoose

Coach
Laurie Daley should have played a couple more years. Only retired at 31 due to injuries.

woodyk2

First Grade
Ian Roberts could of played much longer if it wasnt for chronic groin and knee injuries.

petetheileet

First Grade
Tallis was never the same after his neck injury

Kyle Stanley is lucky to be playing first grade with the injuries he had at a young age.

Tweek

Juniors
I'll say Matt Head, just wasnt the same after his injuries and never got as far as he had the talent for.

MacDougall

First Grade
Yeah, it seemed like a great start to the JV, but there was very poor depth IMO, and the coaching just wasn't up to the task. Quite the history against the storm too.

Kearneys spear tackle, Williams blindsiding buckets and Slater kicking Skando in the face.

Tellingly the thuggery seems to all be directed from one side.

Ben Smith likeable? The bloke's a massive merkin. Complete thug, and a penalty magnet because of it.

Oh yeah totally. Every time I watch him play I'm forever calling him thousands of names for the billion annoying/dog/stupid and sometimes (running down Benji) good things he does on the field.

But off the field he seems likeable enough? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

BranVan3000

Coach
Scott Geddes. Manages 20 minutes on the field per year it seems - just seems to have a measure of bad luck and a fragile body for football. Was very promising in his early years, had some wraps for potential rep honours but that unravelled very quickly.

He is already injured again this year, but going to play through the injury as its his last year. Good luck to him

Hutty1986

Immortal
Scott Geddes. Manages 20 minutes on the field per year it seems - just seems to have a measure of bad luck and a fragile body for football. Was very promising in his early years, had some wraps for potential rep honours but that unravelled very quickly.

He is already injured again this year, but going to play through the injury as its his last year. Good luck to him

Geddes is a good example, the poor bugger has been smashed by injury. Always seems like a hard worker and gives 100%, but f**k he's been unlucky

Joker's Wild

Coach
David Seage. looked like making the Knights fullback position his own before doing his left knee. Came back from that only to then do his right knee. Went back to QCup and hasnt seen FG since

Skreepe

Juniors
Chase Stanley.

He has been ravaged by injury at a young age. Hope he can string some seasons together.

Boyd Cordner. 19 and 2 knee reconstructions already. Very sad as he is a massive talent.

Stagger Lee

Bench
Nathan Brown

Can you believe he is only 38! same age as Steve Menzies

Did well as the coach of Huddersfield but not sure what he is doing now.