What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC report card thus far?

Moffo

Referee
Well I know that it's only a couple of months in

But

My resounding question is...what actual REAL power do they have? Apart from hitting a few people over the head with a wet feather, I've found them underwhelming and uninspiring thus far. Maybe I've missed something? Is it the wrong group of people?

Edwahu

Bench
It's still Gallops job to make the operational decisions isn't it? I don't think the commission will be that visible.

Moffo

Referee
It's not so much results but more their ability to drive towards results

My feeling is that they are a piece of window dressing. Show me something that suggests otherwise?

hack

I thought Moffo knew how companies were governed and operated.

For a start, they are board members. Gallop and his executive are the still the personnel running the day-to-day operations of the league.

Considering the new company and board members were only set up in the last 3 months, they and the executive team would still be hard at work with strategy analysis, planning and choice rather than implementing any new major objectives at this time .

It's a long-term process. Most of the strategy, processes, performance measures, etc need to evaluated and decided whether it is still relevant for the new company going forward. The old partnership had different stakeholders with different aims for their investment. The ship needs to change course & processes streamlined to set it up for future efficiency and outcomes that are effective.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Looking forward to them announcing something about the game below NRL. Hopefully a strategy document is forthcoming soon about growth and development of the game at grass roots level across the country.

Looking forward to them making their mind up on expansion as well!

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Wouldn't it all be planning and dependent upon the next tv deal? I think it isn't the deal as such, but what they do with it which will be important.

The problem with the TV deal as it stands is that they seem to have gone into it without a plan for things like expansion, the scheduling of rep football, consideration of possible new events etc. This means that they are signing up to a deal that may not include any of these considerations. That should be a big worry. They really needed to go to the TV networks with a much clearer plan of what they were selling. That means including plans for an extra NRL game via expansion, weekends off for Origin or internationals if that's what they want, or extra internationals or other events like World Sevens, expanded WCC or anything like that. If any or all of those things were to happen in the future they may not be able to accommodate them due to the TV deal or they may not gain any benefit from the TC deal. This "wait till we get the money" approach could limit the game's growth for a number of years.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your probably right and the synics may well say that was news Lt'ds plan all along. Don;t let them into power until it is too late for them to develop a strategic 5 year plan that would drive the TV negotiations and increase the value of the rights.

As it is they will be doing it cart before the horse but the beauty of doubling the games income is that they can still do these things as they will be able to afford it. Hopefully then by the time the next deal comes around we have an 18 team comp and a number of new initiatives to increase the next deal by X%.

That would all be fine if there was a realistic prospect that they will do anything once the deal is signed. But I don't have much faith that they will do anything significant other than increasing club grants and increasing the salary cap.

m0nty

Juniors
The problem with the TV deal as it stands is that they seem to have gone into it without a plan for things like expansion, the scheduling of rep football, consideration of possible new events etc. This means that they are signing up to a deal that may not include any of these considerations. That should be a big worry. They really needed to go to the TV networks with a much clearer plan of what they were selling. That means including plans for an extra NRL game via expansion, weekends off for Origin or internationals if that's what they want, or extra internationals or other events like World Sevens, expanded WCC or anything like that. If any or all of those things were to happen in the future they may not be able to accommodate them due to the TV deal or they may not gain any benefit from the TC deal. This "wait till we get the money" approach could limit the game's growth for a number of years.
All of their focus should be on the TV rights negotiations, as it seems to be. If they manage to get anywhere north of $800 mill with somewhat favourable (and enforceable) conditions, the ARLC will have been well worth it. You can't go from reverse to 100kph in one gear change, ECT.

You could in theory if you had the right vehicle. If a committee that includes IMG is handling the negotiations, why is all of the IC's focus necessary? Does this mean that the IC is unable to achive anything else for the entire negotiating period? Seems unlikely. John Grant has just been in London for the RLIF meeting so I don't see how that correlates with this "total focus" on TV rights idea.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Well I know that it's only a couple of months in

But

My resounding question is...what actual REAL power do they have? Apart from hitting a few people over the head with a wet feather, I've found them underwhelming and uninspiring thus far. Maybe I've missed something? Is it the wrong group of people?

Relax, I hear they have some big financial news coming out soon.

taipan

Referee

Why would they go into a deal , not taking into account prospects of expansion in 2015, the RLWC 2013.fixed schedules, live FTA/Pay.Alla evnues would be taken into account.
Grant has stated when asked on ABC,they look at a 7 year block. half way through the next deal and the following 5 years.that is hardlty resting on one's laurels.

taipan

Referee
All of their focus should be on the TV rights negotiations, as it seems to be. If they manage to get anywhere north of $800 mill with somewhat favourable (and enforceable) conditions, the ARLC will have been well worth it. You can't go from reverse to 100kph in one gear change, ECT.

It will be well north of $800m.You can change to what ever gear you wish ,if there is a meal waiting and you need food over the next 5 years.

Why would they go into a deal , not taking into account prospects of expansion in 2015, the RLWC 2013.fixed schedules, live FTA/Pay.Alla evnues would be taken into account.
Grant has stated when asked on ABC,they look at a 7 year block. half way through the next deal and the following 5 years.that is hardlty resting on one's laurels.
I doubt all avenues would be taken into account. I doubt for example that they would factor in new events like the World Sevens or something similar. I doubt they'd factor in a pre-season comp. I doubt they'd factor in mid-season rep windows for more internationals, some of which would not include Australian sides. And I don't much care what was said on radio. What wasn't said was anything of substance. To say they are "looking at seven years" doesn't mean they are looking at doing anything they should be doing in that seven years. If they have a seven year plan, what the hell is it? And does it include any of those things? If not, what's the use of it?

taipan

Referee
I doubt all avenues would be taken into account. I doubt for example that they would factor in new events like the World Sevens or something similar. I doubt they'd factor in a pre-season comp. I doubt they'd factor in mid-season rep windows for more internationals, some of which would not include Australian sides. And I don't much care what was said on radio. What wasn't said was anything of substance. To say they are "looking at seven years" doesn't mean they are looking at doing anything they should be doing in that seven years. If they have a seven year plan, what the hell is it? And does it include any of those things? If not, what's the use of it?

They dont need a 7s comp (although I like the idea),a pre season is out of the question,when they are looking at WCC with up to 6 teams.

No it doesn't mean they are doing anything nor does it mean they are doing nothing. Grant is a successful businessman not a in house lawyer,so he knows the ropes re plannning.And he has other more high profile people in his group.

The ARLC has been in position for just on 3 months,they have had to absorb the complexities and problems involving grassroots to the very top.
The code is hardly a backroom show or school tuckshop, it is a big organisation that was unwieldly and partly owned by a news organisation,that did not have a clue.

What's the use of it,well we will see when the Tv deal is done,as a starting point.And what ensues thereon.
Pretty hard to fully plan ahead,when you have no firm decision on the next 5 years income.