What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jessica Mauboy to replace Bon Jovi for 2013 ad campaign

Loudstrat

Coach
Where did I say she was talentless? Didn't say I hadn't heard her sing - hell, was I supposed to memorise her name from that atrocious GF appearance, was I? I did question whether someone who gained fame through a karaoke show is the best talent we could have called upon. But as you pointed out - it's not about talent. It's about ticking boxes.

Still, I'll guestimate I'd rather ads with her in them than the SBW-OMG ad Nein are using.
Her estimation skyrocketed in my eyes after seeing The Sapphires. She is a talent - and if you are judging talent on the ability to sing the national anthem, then Julie Anthony must be the face of the game.

Mauboy is an inspired choice. Hope she sings some Sabbath..........

Clarke

Juniors
Young Aussie girl who is easy to get along with and has a great voice. Can't wit for the release of her NRL theme song in a few weeks.

Joker's Wild

Coach
If she brings back "Simply the Best" then I can only see positives

Those of us who grew up in the late 80s/early 90s have fond memories of that campaign and we are the ones who will be taking our young sons and daughters to games.

Throw in Jessicas indigenous back ground and her love for RL (shes a huge Knights fan) and you have a pretty big reason to expect success from this.

butchmcdick

Immortal
If she brings back "Simply the Best" then I can only see positives

Those of us who grew up in the late 80s/early 90s have fond memories of that campaign and we are the ones who will be taking our young sons and daughters to games.

Throw in Jessicas indigenous back ground and her love for RL (shes a huge Knights fan) and you have a pretty big reason to expect success from this.

I thin you are confusing her with Paulini

blain

Juniors
I don't know... Never heard of her, pop star, just don't think a R&B singer suits what the NRL is about.

Needs something thunderous and uplifting, lyrics don't need to be relevant, most the other songs weren't even written about league (except thats my team).

ACDC would be awesome, Metallica mean (Dreaming), even bloody someone like Airbourne "Running wild and Free" would be fine.

Feej

First Grade
I think with the right song it'll be an inspired choice. If they come out with some modern R&B crap, then it's gonna be painful.

firechild

First Grade
Not a bad choice at all, especially if she's going to do Simply the Best.

As for all the people claiming that it's great because she's indigenous, I fail to see what that has to do with anything. It seems that everyone is in such a rush to give indigenous people recognition they ignore ability (that's not to say Mauboy isn't talented). Nova Perris recently got a gig in the senate despite not being able to string a coherent sentence together at the expense of a more experienced politician. I have no problem with indigenous people holding any position but don't see why their race is any more important than anyone else.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
People are going to whinge no matter who they sign. The NRL could sign up a supergroup of Buddha on drums, Confucious on bass, Mohammad on lead guitar, Jesus on vocals and people would still whinge that they weren't high profile enough.

Never happen - all those people are fictitious characters excepting Confucius.