What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne: I can be Parramatta Eels' Lockyer

Gronk

Staff member
JARRYD Hayne has challenged himself to adopt Darren Lockyer's champion qualities in a bid to become Parramatta's ideal skipper. Not satisfied with his performance in last weekend's narrow loss to Canterbury, Hayne yesterday nominated Lockyer as the style of leader he needs to emulate.

The newly appointed Eels co-captain also revealed he had sought advice from both Lockyer and seven-time premiership-winning coach Wayne Bennett.

After an opening-round hat-trick against the Warriors, Hayne came back to earth last Thursday night when he tried in vain to deliver a match-winning blow against a decimated Bulldogs outfit.

It was a challenge custom-made for Lockyer, who single-handedly won countless games for the Broncos with his composure and nous.

"I was pretty disappointed with my game," Hayne said.

"I probably didn't take the opportunities that I'm used to taking or the risks. It's all about finding when and when not to.

"A bloke like Darren Lockyer is one of those captains that I really enjoyed watching.

"When he was under the pump he would bring out the big play and do something special. That's something I can definitely learn and get a better understanding of."

In All-Stars and Australian camps Hayne has made a habit of sounding out Lockyer or Bennett to further his education.

"I spoke to (Lockyer) last year to pick his brain about a couple of things," the 25-year-old said. "Him and Wayne Bennett are people I love talking to and asking questions.

"I'm always asking Wayne about his grand final record.

"How could he win seven grand finals. He just laughed and said that if there was a secret he'd tell me.

"I'm always trying to pick their brains and emulate what they do."

With fellow co-captain Reni Maitua racing the clock to overcome an ankle injury ahead of Friday night's clash against Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval, Hayne is likely to be flying solo in just his third outing as skipper.

Maitua received further treatment during yesterday's field session and is considered a remote chance of playing.

But Ken Sio (ankle) and Luke Kelly (hamstring) both trained and will come into calculations for a return.

"I'm still getting used to (the captaincy)," Hayne said.

"Always having Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless there, it's something I'm still learning. It's tough to pin-point an area (I need to improve). I've just got to worry about leading from the front and playing good footy."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-be-eels-lockyer/story-e6frfgdx-1226600137672

Agent Mulder

Bench
Seems like our little champion has done alot of growing up the off-season.
Great to see and i do put alot down to Stuart as well, It goes to show what a clown that Kearney really was.

Snoochies

First Grade
One thing I would love for him to take out of Lockyers book is when you get hit hard, you get back up again.

I love Hayne but he watches too much EPL.

Words are cheap. HaHa has always been full of words that made everyone think he was all big and mature all of a sudden.

The proof is in the pudding and last weekend's pudding tasted like crap.

Tooooks

Bench
He looked uninterested against the Bulldogs. Don't know what it is with this guy. The funny thing is, he's statistically better than Billy Slater in just about every attacking aspect so far this year. To show how misleading stats can be:

Rd2 Hayne v Slater (neither scored tries, no try assists, or line breaks):

Metres:
Hayne 158 (8.77m/run)
Slater 140 (8.75m/run)

Tackle Busts:
Hayne 6
Slater 4

Line Break Assists:
Hayne 1
Slater 0

The thing about Slater though is he is a great competitor. He always looks dangerous running the ball, he's always looking to back up or run off one of the playmakers. He's always positioning himself to take advantage of attacking opportunities. That's what makes him great.

For 80 minutes?

No.
Can't remember when he copped the injury, but it was pretty early on.
Watching him at the game you could see how uncomfortable he was just walking on that leg.
He probably should have gone off, but I'm guessing he'll learn from that.

these journos can play hayne like a violin can't they?
all he needed to say was he was disappointed with his game and stop there
thank god we aren't playing the broncos this week

mickdo

Coach
I'm actually glad he didn't trot injury as an excuse for his poor game last week. Needs to have a good one against the Tigpies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Didn't think he was that bad last week - also it looks like Stuart has taken away a lot of the play making responsibilities away from Hayne, so he aren't playing the same game he has been over the last few years. It look likes sandow has been given more responsibility then he had last year. I don't even recall Hayne kicking in general play over the last two weeks - sandow has done all the kicking .

Avenger

Immortal
If he wants to be like Lockyer then he must bite the bullet and play 5/8th. Not many admire his abilities like me but Hoppa isn't coming for $800k to play anywhere but fullback and at 6 Hayne will every bit be worth his large contract. He just needs to get into his head that 6 is where his future lies both at Parra and in representative football.

Last edited:

Kornstar

Coach
Didn't think he was that bad last week - also it looks like Stuart has taken away a lot of the play making responsibilities away from Hayne, so he aren't playing the same game he has been over the last few years. It look likes sandow has been given more responsibility then he had last year. I don't even recall Hayne kicking in general play over the last two weeks - sandow has done all the kicking .

Do you get the feeling Ricky wants him to want to touch the ball more? Therefore moving to 5/8th is his incentive to touch the ball more?

I noticed several times in both games he was calling for the ball but did not get it.......that would not have happened since 2009!