What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Perth Red

Post Whore
You'd need three tenants to make it a viable investment. Best idea would be to scrap the parra upgrade and build a new 35k stadium with wests, eels, bulldogs and wanderers as permanent tenants. That would make it a decent investment prospect for a private developer in partnership with the NRL.

Suitman

Post Whore
You'd need three tenants to make it a viable investment. Best idea would be to scrap the parra upgrade and build a new 35k stadium with wests, eels, bulldogs and wanderers as permanent tenants. That would make it a decent investment prospect for a private developer in partnership with the NRL.

That's correct, but not at Liverpool.
The most central spot in Sydney for a west stadium is Parra, and it already has the infrastructure and transport in place.

Suity

Yoda

Juniors
Ever been to Liverpool? Apart from the fact that its a shithole, roads around the area are a nightmare. The infrastructure is incapable of coping with any large events such as a game of football.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Ever been to Liverpool? Apart from the fact that its a shithole, roads around the area are a nightmare. The infrastructure is incapable of coping with any large events such as a game of football.

Nah, i dont go west much and when i do its freeways to Penrith. I admit i cant comment on the quality of the area or infrustructure.

Just looking at proposed sites liverpools geographic position seems best fitted to cater for several clubs. Really though, as long as its a ood quality stadium, not an oval and not just for penrith, then it cant be too bad.

bobmar28

Bench
Sydney-Train-Map.gif

I was just randomly looking at this, and i only just noticed how many different lines run to Liverpool.

Liverpool has got to be the new West Sydney stadium. It would be perfect for the Tigers; a straight line from Macarther and Campbeltown, but its still accessable to the rest of sydney (unlike the Cambletown clusterfu*ckery).

Its got a line straight from Blacktown and Parramatta, so Parra can use it for their major games.

Its probably in a better place for the Bulldogs than ANZ is.

And its got several different lines running to central, just for the randomly placed fans to get to games.

It is the most accessable sight possible for the proposed stadium. Really, if Liverpool doesnt get it, they better have a f**king good reason. Like the Taj Mahal of stadiums in a f**king parrallel universe that is always only 5 minutes away from everywhere.

Woodward park. 500 metres from Liverpool station, 700 metres from M5.

bobmar28

Bench
Yeah Liverpool does look like a good location when going off a cityrail map. For Western Sydney it is definitely the most central area for a stadium.

Campbelltown still has a lot going for it though, considering the stadium site is located right next to the train station, with plenty of room for future expansion. Campbelltown is also much faster to get to than Liverpool when coming from the city, south or north shore.

Given that a new stadium will be for Western Sydney Clubs though Liverpool would be a winner. I can only see the Bulldogs and Tigers being interested though.

That can't be right. The only direct way you can get to Campbelltown from the city is by passing liverpool.
If you use the Beverley Hills line you couldn't get to Glenfield faster than Liverpool let alone Campbelltown.

Last edited:

Craegus

Juniors
That can't be right. The only direct way you can get to Campbelltown from the city is by passing liverpool.
If you use the Beverley Hills line you couldn't get to Glenfield faster than Liverpool let alone Campbelltown.

No, the most direct route to Campbelltown is via East Hills.

Central to Campbelltown via East Hills - around 1hr (can be between 55mins and 1hr5mins) so to Leumeah (Campbelltown Stadium) is about 3 - 4 minutes less.

Central to Campbelltown via Granville/Liverpool - around 1hr20mins

In comparison Central to Liverpool is between 54mins and 1hr1min

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Campbelltown to Central is 54 mins via East Hills (which will be cut to below 50 under the new timetable.)

Liverpool to Central is 57 mins via Granville. 61 mins via Bankstown.

Agree that the infrastructure around the stadium site at Campbelltown is far superior to the site at Liverpool.

smithie

Juniors
Labor comes to stadium party with $15m for design work

PRIME Minister Kevin Rudd has promised $15 million to fund planning and design work for Townsville's new superstadium and convention centre.

The $15 million will cover the cost of detailed design work for the superstadium and convention centre before construction starts on the $300 million Stadium Northern Australia project.

Funding will be delivered in the 2014-15 financial year if Labor is re-elected on Saturday, but the Coalition has yet to put up any money for the superstadium. The project has been estimated to create 700 full-time jobs during construction and would boost the economy by $540 million.

Mr Rudd said the $15 million in funding for design work would help fast-track the project.

"A re-elected Rudd Labor Government will kick-start the Stadium Northern Australia project by committing up to $15 million to get critical design and planning work under way," he said.

"Delivering this funding is an important and practical first step.

"It will provide confidence for Townsville to continue developing the stadium and entertainment complex following the completion of the current feasibility study."

Mr Rudd said the superstadium and entertainment complex would be the best facility in northern Australia and create jobs.

"Labor is proud to get behind this important project to build an integrated elite sports stadium, entertainment and events facility in Townsville's central business district," he said.

"The stadium's location in Townsville would allow it to serve the wider Northern Queensland region, generating significant economic and social benefits including new jobs in both the development and operation of the project.

"This builds on Federal Labor's extensive investments in Townsville on projects like the Ring Road, upgrading the Tony Ireland stadium and redeveloping the Flinders Street Mall."

Labor's funding announcement is the first commitment to the superstadium and convention centre project from either side of politics during the election campaign.

Labor candidate for Herbert Cathy O'Toole said she was "very, very happy and welcoming" of the announcement and said it maintained the Federal Labor Government's "track record of infrastructure investment in Townsville".

"This is a really important step because this is a kick-start to the project and the project will happen if we are elected," she said.

"This is great news for our community."

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott has yet to make a commitment on the superstadium but said during a visit to Townsville on Saturday he would review the project if the Coalition wins the election.

"Should we win the election, obviously we are happy to keep talking ... but I can't at this stage make a formal commitment to it."

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/09/02/388318_news.html

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
That's correct, but not at Liverpool.
The most central spot in Sydney for a west stadium is Parra, and it already has the infrastructure and transport in place.

The thing about propsing a new stadium in Parramatta is that it is already so close to ANZ that they might as well invest the money into that to just make IT as good as possible.

And as for the 3 tenants goal, again it would just be competing with ANZ. The new stadium would probably only get 3 if it tried to steal the Bulldogs from ANZ.

At this point, again, it just seems like they would be better of investing more in ANZ.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The thing about propsing a new stadium in Parramatta is that it is already so close to ANZ that they might as well invest the money into that to just make IT as good as possible.

And as for the 3 tenants goal, again it would just be competing with ANZ. The new stadium would probably only get 3 if it tried to steal the Bulldogs from ANZ.

At this point, again, it just seems like they would be better of investing more in ANZ.

Anz is not and never will be a good stadium for club games. You can spend as much as you like on it but it won't change the fact it is too big, the pitch of the seats is too shallow, the roof drip line is terrible and the seats are miles away from the action.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this, but if it was a choice between the two, id rather see ANZ get done up massively over a new west sydney stadium.

Realistically only the north and south ends can really be changed significantly, so....

this is what i would like to see.

xtrc.png

Sorry about the sizing, my computer is being shit.

The current field at ANZ is 172m by 130m. a standard field is usually 130 by 95.

If they were to run the field East to west, only the north and south ends would need any work done. If they tore out those ends (they are not load bearing structures) and effectively rebuilt the old North/South stands (like the ones from the olympics, just moved forward to about the current try line) they could have a Stadium that rivaled Metlife in New York.

The only real problem with this is the east/west field would be effected by the sun. To deal with this they would have to commit to a roof as well, but since the current east and west stands would be staying as they are, they would already have the current roof structure to work off

This is something i posted in another thread. I was bored today and actually draw up a better verison, but i cant get that picture to work.

8m1.png

Edit: well this is a link anyway

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/8m1.png/

---------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBQcHSqtBU

if you pause this at 2:02, you can see that the current plan involves a retractable roof and completely removing the north and south stands. The only difference in my suggestion is to replace the northa nad south stands with bigger stands and run the field east to west.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Afl will never allow it and it would cost many hundreds of millions to do that. Would be good but never going to happen.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Afl will never allow it and it would cost many hundreds of millions to do that. Would be good but never going to happen.

I cant really speak for what the AFL would do, but...

As for the cost, i doubt it would be any where near that. The most expensive part of any grandstand it the roofing structure. The point of Using ANZ is that the roof is already built. Look at how cheap a lot of those US college stadiums are...

Bright House Network stadium - 45,000 seats. Only cost $55 million because there was no roof.

Apogee Stadium - 30,000 seats - cost $78 million

FUA Stadium - 30,000 seats - cost $70 million

2 grandstands that dont need to support a roof would actually come pretty cheap. Definitely much cheaper than a brand new stadium in Parramatta or wherever. The Gold coast stadium in 2007 cost almost $300 million and they didnt even break 30,000 seats.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It costs a hell of a lot more to reconstruct than to demolish and build from scratch. The whole stadium structure would need to be changed.

Latest posts