What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
not really, check out this video at about 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBQcHSqtBU

The current plan is to remove the north and south stands and build movable rigs. The one im suggesting is to build proper grandstands, free standing so they arent adding weight to the roof, they wouldnt have to do anything at all to the over all structure. None of the seating sections in the lower bowl have any kind of weight baring functions. they could literally remove the entire lower bowl and it wouldnt effect the rest of the structure in the slightest.

Its not reconstructing the current stadium so much as building new structures within the stadium.

Canard

Immortal
not really, check out this video at about 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEBQcHSqtBU

The current plan is to remove the north and south stands and build movable rigs. The one im suggesting is to build proper grandstands, free standing so they arent adding weight to the roof, they wouldnt have to do anything at all to the over all structure. None of the seating sections in the lower bowl have any kind of weight baring functions. they could literally remove the entire lower bowl and it wouldnt effect the rest of the structure in the slightest.

Its not reconstructing the current stadium so much as building new structures within the stadium.

The AFL will whine about the damage to the turf. They are already complaining about damage due to our goalposts.

Of course the above whining would be irrelevant if they didn't own the stadium (or a controlling interest)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The AFL will whine about the damage to the turf. They are already complaining about damage due to our goalposts.

Of course the above whining would be irrelevant if they didn't own the stadium (or a controlling interest)

Oh yeh, this could only work if they fully committed to the Rectangular Stadium idea. Realistically, the only way i actually see it happening is if the NRL decided to take control of the lease, but that doesnt mean it cant happen just through government lobbying.

The AFL don't own ANZ Stadium at all. The stadium is leased by the Sydney Olmpic Park Authority to the ANZ Stadium Trust, who hold the lease until 31 January 2031. Source.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Running the stadium east/west rules out any day games.

And for the first 5 rounds any games before 7.30

They're putting a roof on the thing so that shouldnt be a problem at all. The only problem their would be is that the stadium would be completely out of use until it was finished.

I know its a radical idea, because we just dont have fields going east/west, but all of the proposed plans for this stadium come together perfectly for it to work.

Canard

Immortal
The AFL don't own ANZ Stadium at all. The stadium is leased by the Sydney Olmpic Park Authority to the ANZ Stadium Trust, who hold the lease until 31 January 2013. Source.

Didn't someone from the AFL, or AFL related become involved with the lease in the recent past?

I think you mean 2031 by the way.

Regardless the NRL DON'T lease or own the stadium so there is no way they are going to make it a rectangular stadium (even if a modified one) anytime soon.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Didn't someone from the AFL, or AFL related become involved with the lease in the recent past?

Regardless the NRL DON'T lease or own the stadium so there is no way they are going to make it a rectangular stadium (even if a modified one) anytime soon.

Pretty sure one of their commissioners is the owner of a company that has a share in the stadium.

I did mean 2031, a complete balls up of a typo on my part :eek:

They're putting a roof on the thing so that shouldnt be a problem at all. The only problem their would be is that the stadium would be completely out of use until it was finished.

I know its a radical idea, because we just dont have fields going east/west, but all of the proposed plans for this stadium come together perfectly for it to work.

Generally it's preferable to have the roof open if it's fine though.

Playing footy in an indoor stadium on a nice day doesn't seem like a great way to attract fans.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Wouldn't you have more seats at the ends than on the sides under your idea?

Possibly, It would definitely be close, i havent crunched any numbers on it. But i think one of the main problems with ANZ at the moment is that its ends are almost non-exsistant. Look at the best stadiums in the country (Suncorp, MCG, Etihad, AAMI). They all have huge end stands that keep the sound in and give it a kind of ominous look.

Just think about Cooper Cronks field goal in SOO 3 2012, at Suncorp. That shot from behind him looks amazing because you can see so much of the crowd behind the posts.

If my idea was to be taken, imagine the same scene happening at ANZ. The biggest part of the stadium right behing the post; it would look amazing on tv and the view would be awesome from the stands.

MIKE FITZPATRICK, 59
CHAIRMAN
Supports Carlton
A commissioner for almost a decade, the dual Carlton premiership captain, Rhodes Scholar and highly successful company director declared one year after replacing the late Ron Evans in 2008 that his priorities were to expand the competition, deliver world-class AFL stadiums around Australia and improve the game's then-wavering relationships with all levels of government. Having delivered to a significant extent upon all three, Fitzpatrick declared earlier this year that when he joined the commission in 2003 it had not been brave enough. In 2009, Fitzpatrick's buy-out of fund manager ANZ Infrastructure Services gave him a controlling interest in ANZ Stadium at Homebush.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/meet-the-afl-commissioners-20121019-27xau.html#ixzz2hmbjaiEf

That's what I remember, basically forget a rectangular stadium configuration at ANZ.

Rectangular wouldn't happen with him or without him.

They're pushing for cricket in a big way as well. They need the all year revenue.

The only way a rectangular configuration would happen is if the NRL paid them off and/or the NRL guaranteed a large increase in games there.

That said I do believe Sydney deserves a much better dedicated rectangular stadium.

Highway1

Juniors
I dont think we'll see the north/south end becoming the east/west end and vice versa, because the coropates (occupying the executive boxes on the current east/west ends) wont be happy to view rugby league on the goal ends and view cricket on its side.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I dont think we'll see the north/south end becoming the east/west end and vice versa, because the coropates (occupying the executive boxes on the current east/west ends) wont be happy to view rugby league on the goal ends and view cricket on its side.

Good point. Also imagine the last rows of the 600s from up there when behind the posts - awful.

I don't like how the redevelopment will have the lover bowl, cuts off so many corner seats, just looks a bit shit in my opinion.

bobmar28

Bench
Good point. Also imagine the last rows of the 600s from up there when behind the posts - awful.

I don't like how the redevelopment will have the lover bowl, cuts off so many corner seats, just looks a bit shit in my opinion.

That gap in the corners looks bad in the video.

juro

Bench
I know this is all pie in the sky stuff, but what would the capacity be if you did this reconfiguration of ANZ stadium?

Latest posts