What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

08 :: R2 Sun :: Storm 16 Sharks 17 @ Olympic

Round 2 Result - Storm v Sharks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wittyfan

Referee
White is just a skirt.

whiteyquinny.jpg

lolesi

First Grade
Timmah said:
Who the f*ck do Ross and the Diver think they are? Gallen should be fined for dissent.

Haha you are such a f**king toss! seriously, how do you write this stuff with a straight face

Garts

Bench
Ross's hit was not too bad, seen much worse, he also checked on Cronk straight away. 2 weeks max. White should get nothing, beng sent off was punishment enough.

Good win to the Sharkies.

Billythekid

First Grade
DragonPunk said:
Exactly, why the f**k didn't Cameron Smith set up for one with the millions of chances they had FFS. The Sharks plotted theris on their second attempt :(.

Exactly. That last 10 minutes from the storm is probably the poorest i've seen us play. You can't have like 5 sets on the opposition line and not go for a field goal, it's just criminal. I really expected more from Cam Smith in this situation.

Impressive performance by the sharks. Bird, Gallen and Kearney proved to hard to handle the three of them played excellent today. I really think the sharks forward pack looked impressive. Also a big rap on Pomeroy, i think he really defended well on Folau.

As for the Storm performance, definitely the worst i've seen for a few years but a lot of that was due to the pressure from the sharks. Another poor game by brett white. I'm surprised his back wasn't green by the end of the game cause he was getting put onto it every tackle.

Steve Turner.... he has nospam29. I don't mean the try line either. He just keeps going into touch. Pretty much every time he gets the ball he either goes into touch or gets himself to close to the sideline.

Matt Geyer, i've said it before and i'll say it again he needs to retire. He was the worst on the field for the short 10 minute stint they had him on. His lost his speed, and he adds nothing while on the field. Hopefully when Inglis comes back Aitken gets his spot on the bench. I have a lot of respect for Geyer, but the fact is he isn't up to standard anymore.

I think Will chambers seems to reluctant to put the foot down. He keeps getting caught dancing around rather than trying to take the line on. I think he looks like his gonna be a good player but certainly i'd like to see some more aggression on attack.

I was a little surprised how much Aitken was forced to step up on 5th tackles. In the first half Cronk stood up to the plate and took control of the team when we were down. In the second half he went missing on a number of occasions leaving alot of the pressure on Aitken.

Overall whilst i'm disappointed with our performance, i can still see a few positives and i'm glad we got beaten early in the season. Hopefully Bellamy gets around to fixing a few of our problems.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
MATCH ROUND-UP

cro-main.jpg

Cronulla Sutherland
TRIES David Simmons, Paul Gallen, Brett Kearney
GOALS Luke Covell 2/5
FIELD GOALS Brett Kimmorley 1/1

mel-main.jpg

Melbourne
TRIES Israel Folau, Brett White, Russell Aitken

GOALS Cam Smith 2/3

CROWD 10,720
HALFTIME Sharks 14-12
PENALTIES Sharks 9-4
SCRUMS Storm 8-6

SENT OFF
65 min: Ben Ross (CRO)
65 min: Brett White (MEL)

POSITIVES
TACKLES
MEL 246 CRO 242
Cam Smith (MEL) 30
Paul Gallen (CRO) 27
Jeff Lima (MEL) 25
Adam Peek (CRO) 25​

HIT-UPS
MEL 51 CRO 53
Paul Gallen (CRO) 12
Jeff Lima (MEL) 10
Bryan Norrie (CRO) 9​

LINE BREAKS
MEL 3 CRO 5
Paul Gallen (CRO) 2
Others 1​

NEGATIVES
ERRORS
MEL 13 CRO 17
Ben Pomeroy (CRO) 3
Brett Kimmorley (CRO) 3
Greg Bird (CRO) 3

MISSED TACKLES
MEL 31 CRO 26
Cam Smith (MEL) 5
Brett Kimmorley (CRO) 5
Brett Seymour (CRO) 4​

POSSESSION Storm 46% Sharks 54%

COMPLETION
Storm 71% - 27/38
Sharks 63% - 26/41​

TOYOTA CUP RESULT 20-all

All stats courtesy of NRL.com.

its early days yet for the sharks. im not getting carried away.

great way to start the season though. better than i thought we would be.

kimmorley played pretty well for mine. f**king awesome field goal. dropped a couple..great in defence. tough little bugger.

Bird was great.

Kearney looked good as well. good under the high ball.

simmo was ok as well.]

finally won a 1 point game!

SirShire

First Grade
lolesi said:
Haha you are such a f**king toss! seriously, how do you write this stuff with a straight face

I'm positive that Timmah, the gimp, smokes crack.

He seriously has no grasp of the game.

Selachimorpha

Juniors
That was the exact sort of game the Sharks would have found a way to lose last year, hopefully this is the start of them consistently winning the close ones instead of always losing them.

Still too many dropped balls and mistakes at the worst possible times though, it's impressive the Sharks were able to survive being under pressure numerous times, but it would be even better if they weren't putting themselves under pressure all the time in the first place.

effnic

Bench
I am so glad i forgot to put my tips in this week and when you do that they 'punish' you by automatically picking all away teams.

simostorm

Bench
Well done Sharks fans...you guys should be happy even though it was a terrible scrappy game...

As for me im off to belt the living daylights out of my boxing bag until I calm down from teh loss...lol

Billythekid said:
Exactly. That last 10 minutes from the storm is probably the poorest i've seen us play. You can't have like 5 sets on the opposition line and not go for a field goal, it's just criminal. I really expected more from Cam Smith in this situation.

Impressive performance by the sharks. Bird, Gallen and Kearney proved to hard to handle the three of them played excellent today. I really think the sharks forward pack looked impressive. Also a big rap on Pomeroy, i think he really defended well on Folau.

As for the Storm performance, definitely the worst i've seen for a few years but a lot of that was due to the pressure from the sharks. Another poor game by brett white. I'm surprised his back wasn't green by the end of the game cause he was getting put onto it every tackle.

Steve Turner.... he has nospam29. I don't mean the try line either. He just keeps going into touch. Pretty much every time he gets the ball he either goes into touch or gets himself to close to the sideline.

Matt Geyer, i've said it before and i'll say it again he needs to retire. He was the worst on the field for the short 10 minute stint they had him on. His lost his speed, and he adds nothing while on the field. Hopefully when Inglis comes back Aitken gets his spot on the bench. I have a lot of respect for Geyer, but the fact is he isn't up to standard anymore.

I think Will chambers seems to reluctant to put the foot down. He keeps getting caught dancing around rather than trying to take the line on. I think he looks like his gonna be a good player but certainly i'd like to see some more aggression on attack.

I was a little surprised how much Aitken was forced to step up on 5th tackles. In the first half Cronk stood up to the plate and took control of the team when we were down. In the second half he went missing on a number of occasions leaving alot of the pressure on Aitken.

Overall whilst i'm disappointed with our performance, i can still see a few positives and i'm glad we got beaten early in the season. Hopefully Bellamy gets around to fixing a few of our problems.

Great comments...Mr Geyer it is time to go. He is simply stopping another capable player from getting a start and adds nothing on the field. This stung Storm big tim today.

Chambers looks tentative and just needs to run straight and hard. Quinn did this last year but has not been seen this year.

Storm need Inglis and Crocker back...Lima has had a strong start to the season as has Brett White but they need another big forward to take their share off the bench. Kaufusi needs to come back in to play this role..Tagatese and Blair do not have the size to play this role.

The Sharks deserved to win...Kearney and Gallen were brilliant and their short passing game was exceptional...well done Sharkies.

ali

Bench
Eelectrica said:
Sharks might have to be taken seriously for a changwe. Very impressive way to start the season.

Now looking forward to next weeks Titans - Sharks game @ skilled.
SEQ Sharks fans get there and support your team, they might just be for real.

The C.S.S.C has a group of 100 sitting together. Is it close to sold out?

mattyg

Bench
Ross is a repeat offender - broke Cleal's jaw with a reckless hit last year, and was very lucky that he didnt break Cooper Cronk's jaw today. I'd give him 8 weeks minimum. From memory he got 5 weeks for the hit on Cleal - he didn't learn from it!

As for White, well you just can't go swinging elbows at people like that. If it was a fist fight, fine but elbows like that are just not on. Anywhere between 2-4 weeks should be alright for him.

Both deserved to be sent off, and i think the ref handled it well.