What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 R1 :: Sat :: Bulldogs 34 Sea Eagles 12 @ ANZ

09 Round 1 :: Bulldogs v Sea Eagles

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gaba

First Grade
Bulldogs 1-12 only because of whats been happening with Manly all week

Bulldogs or the sharks are the 2 sides manly would like to be playing this weekend, reason they dont have the attack to worry them

manly still by 30+

Dutchy

Immortal
People thinking this week will be negative for us on the field are in for a shock.

Who would want to be playing against an angry Manly forward pack? Who would want to take a hit up in Watmough vicinity this week?

Look what our forwards did to Leeds....

Dogs having nothing on their pack.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Hasler will have the Sea Eagles ready

Greg Prichard | March 14, 2009
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1236919566417.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
Bulldogs v ManlyTonight, ANZ Stadium, 7.30pm

What the Bulldogs say
They're saying they don't expect the off-field drama enveloping Manly to affect their on-field performance. The drama has the potential to affect the Bulldogs' performance as much as it does that of the Sea Eagles. If the Bulldogs were to start thinking Manly might be distracted and off their game, they could lose intensity themselves. The only way for the Bulldogs to approach the game is to believe the Sea Eagles will be at their best.

What the Sea Eagles say
Coach Des Hasler says it is business as usual when it comes to getting ready for a game. The off-field events are a potential distraction for the players but, in Hasler, the Sea Eagles have the right man in place to limit the effects. There might be coaches as thorough as him, but none more thorough.

What Prichard says
Until you see any evidence of the Sea Eagles coming undone, you have to believe they won't. I anticipate they'll play well, because playing should be a relief. But the loss of the player at the centre of the drama - fullback Brett Stewart - is a major blow, and they can only hope to cover no better than fairly well for that. Everyone else in the team is going to have to work just that little bit harder. The Bulldogs have rebuilt their team, and will need a bit of time to get their act together, but they do have top players in key positions and could threaten. Manly should win, but it might be a battle.

For Manly to win
They have to commit to getting the job done in the forwards before they consider letting the ball loose in the backs, but they have proven their ability to be patient. The fact a couple of their most dangerous backs - not only Stewart, but injured winger David Williams - are missing means they might have to be more patient than usual, but the bottom line is that they defend so well they can win in a variety of ways. They are just as comfortable in an arm wrestle as they are in a try-fest.

For the Bulldogs to win
They have to be committed to doing all of the "one per centers", as they call them, while their new line-up gels. They have to chase the clearing kicks as if their lives depend upon it, dive on the loose ball like it's gold and get numbers in the tackle at all times. It's the first round, so every team is going to have an element of rust. If the Bulldogs can stick with the Sea Eagles into the second half then anything can happen, because players such as Brett Kimmorley, Michael Ennis and Luke Patten can break a game open.

The X-factor
The potential for the minds of the Manly players to drift, based on what has gone on at the club. They're professionals, so they should be OK, but who can say for sure?

What the bookies say
Manly opened at $1.40 in head-to-head betting, but eased to $1.50 when the drama claimed Stewart as a victim. They are still at those odds on TAB Sportsbet, with the Bulldogs at $2.50. Punters are taking the 6½ points start to the Bulldogs, which is at $1.80. It's $2 if you want to give the start.

The late mail
Hasler is likely to use Shane Neumann on the wing, ahead of Michael Bani.

Teams
Bulldogs: L Patten, H El Masri, J Morris, J Idris, B Goodwin, B Roberts, B Kimmorley, B Hannant, M Ennis, M Hodgson, G Warburton, A Ryan (c) D Stagg. Reserves: L Te Maari, J Kite, C Armit, B Barba.

Manly: M Robertson, S Neumann, J Lyon, S Matai, A Suniula, C Bailey, M Orford (c), B Kite, M Ballin, J Perry, A Watmough, G Hall, G Stewart. Reserves: H L'Estrange, J King, A Cuthbertson, S Rodney.

Noa

First Grade
Get your hits in now boys and girls while Jamal Idris, Ben Barba and Jon Kite are babies.

Cause a year or 2 from now the shoe will be on the other foot. Really looking forward to watching Ben & Jamal play this year

Garts

Bench
I change my mind on this one every minute. Unsure how the players will react to the last week.

Garts

Bench
Get your hits in now boys and girls while Jamal Idris, Ben Barba and Jon Kite are babies.

Cause a year or 2 from now the shoe will be on the other foot. Really looking forward to watching Ben & Jamal play this year

Idris has impressed me in the limited games I watched but IMO Barba needs to do alot of work on his defence before I really rate him. Might be an attacking dynamo but if he is really week in defence it cancels that out.

Noa

First Grade
Idris has impressed me in the limited games I watched but IMO Barba needs to do alot of work on his defence before I really rate him. Might be an attacking dynamo but if he is really week in defence it cancels that out.

Yeah that go's without saying for Ben, but I'll go with view that as he gets older and stronger that will improve.

GB!

Juniors
Bulldogs 16 34.04%
Manly 31 65.96%
Draw after Golden Point 0 0%
:crazy::crazy::crazy: