What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

09 :: WCC CHAMPIONS Sea Eagles 28 Rhinos 20 @ Elland Road

09 WCC :: Leeds or Manly?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
09wcc-leeman-info.jpg

LIVE on FOX Sports - not Channel 9 - Monday 2 March - 5:00am Eastern Daylight Time

leeds-main.jpg

2008 European Super League Premiers
LEEDS RHINOS
(squad)
2. Scott Donald, 3. Lee Smith, 4. Keith Senior, 5. Ryan Hall, 6. Danny McGuire, 7. Rob Burrow, 8. Kylie Leuluai
10. Jamie Peacock, 11. Jamie Jones Buchanan, 12. Ali Lauitiiti, 13. Kevin Sinfield, 14. Matt Diskin, 16. Ryan Bailey
17. Ian Kirke, 18. Carl Ablett, 19. Luke Burgess, 20. Ashley Gibson, 23. Kallum Watkins, 26. Paul McShane​

man-main.jpg

2008 Australian National Rugby League Premiers
MANLY WARRINGAH SEA EAGLES
1 Brett Stewart
2 Michael Robertson, 3 Jamie Lyon, 4 Steve Matai, 5 David Williams
6 Chris Bailey, 7 Matt Orford (c)
8 Jason King, 9 Matt Ballin, 10 Josh Perry
11 Anthony Watmough, 12 Glenn Hall
13 Glenn Stewart

Interchange: 14 Heath L'Estrange, 15 Adam Cuthbertson, 16 George Rose, 17 Shane Rodney
Reserve: 18 Jared Waerea-Hargreaves.​

Referee
JASON ROBINSON

Those in the UK can investigate ticket sales here.​

Last edited:

Dutchy

Immortal
Manly.

We are the Real Madrid of Rugby League according to pommy BBC London commentators.

Manly.

We are the Real Madrid of Rugby League according to pommy BBC London commentators.
Dont associte us with those overpaid drama queens who fall over at the hint of a penalty.I consider that an insult to Manly.We are the MANLY of rugby league.
Things are looking good for the boys in the WCC.Be nice to win it then make the Poms come out here to try to win it back.

Godz Illa

Coach
Leeds didn't look crash hot against Hull KR on the weekend. They might have been missing a few stars, but I still think Manly will be too classy.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Ref is Jason Robinson... he did the Warrington - Catalan Super League game as a warm up.

Prob-poss team below.

If the doubtful are fit/replacements if they are injured

Smith/Donald
Donald/Watkins
Watkins/Gibson
Senior
Hall
McGuire/Sinfield
Burrow/McGuire
Leuluai
Diskin
Peacock/Burgess
Ablett/Lauitiiti
Jones-Buchanan
Sinfield/Ablett

McShane
Kirke
Bailey/Allen
Burgess/Gibson

Hope that make sense ;)

gong_eagle

First Grade
http://www.superleague.co.uk/video.php?id=13168

SLTV caught up with Manly Sea Eagles today at their training session at Leeds Met Carnegie.

Manly are in preperation for their big game on Sunday against Leeds Rhinos in the Carnegie World Club Challenge.

SLTV spoke with Des Hasler, Matt Orford, Jamie Lyon, David Williams and Steve Matai after training and got their thoughts on Sunday's game.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Australian team well-prepared

imagesource.php
Tuesday 24th February 09
http://www.superleague.co.uk/article.php?id=13175

Australian champions Manly Sea Eagles will not be holding back when they take on Leeds Rhinos on Sunday, according to captain Matt Orford.

The Sea Eagles are determined to end Super League’s domination of the annual Carnegie World Club Challenge and believe they are the best prepared of all the Australian teams to visit England in the last 10 years.
“With the preparation the club have done to put the emphasis on this game, we know how important it is for a Sydney team to try and bring the trophy back,” said Orford.
“It’s important for the club. We’ve worked very hard to put ourselves in this position and we don’t want to let ourselves down.
“We’re going to put everything we’ve got into the game. If we go in with the mentality we used last year, we are going to give ourselves a chance.”
Former St Helens centre Jamie Lyon, the 2005 engage Super League Man of Steel, is the only current Manly player with experience of English conditions and coach Des Hasler, who played for the club in the inaugural World Club Challenge at Wigan in 1987, believes the weather conditions could play a key role.
Brisbane Broncos famously endured a snowstorm at Bolton in 2001 and a year ago strong winds and driving rain greeted Melbourne Storm at Elland Road.
But the Manly squad trained in spring-like weather at Leeds Met University today after arriving in Yorkshire from London yesterday following their warm-up match against Harlequins.
“The conditions are quite good and if, it’s like this on Sunday, we’ll be more than pleased,” said Hasler.
“It will come down to the conditions. I know the English weather is pretty fickle but, if it stays like this, the fans can expect a pretty open, fast game of football.”
Hasler will name his team at a joint press conference with the Rhinos on Thursday but will definitely be without World Cup prop Brent Kite, who remained in Australia on compassionate leave.
“We’re going to miss Brent,” admitted Orford. “He was a major part of what we did last year. But there’s some young guys here who might get a chance.”
The Sea Eagles have been doing their homework on the Rhinos, who have already played three Super League matches and remain undefeated despite a string of injuries to key players.
“We know what we’re up against,” said Orford. “They’re a quality team, they’re the benchmark of the game over here.
“They’re a big powerful team and a disciplined team who are very well-drilled. It’s going to be a great test for us.”
Meanwhile, Hasler believes the Australian Rugby League have made a good choice in appointing Tim Sheens as the successor to coach Ricky Stuart.
Hasler was thought to be the main rival to the veteran Wests Tigers boss but had no complaints after losing out in the vote.
“Tim Sheens is a very worthy recipient of that position,” he said. “He has worked hard and has got a very good standing in the game. He’s certainly got plenty of experience.”

gong_eagle

First Grade
Wounded Eagle won't hold back

February 25, 2009 - 1:55PM

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/wounded-eagle-eyes-rhinos/2009/02/25/1235237713113.html

Tough Manly centre Steve Matai has been told he won't ever fully recover from the neck and shoulder injuries which almost wrecked his 2008 season.

But Matai has vowed not to hold back in the World Club Challenge clash with Leeds on Monday (AEDT) as he bids for a third major title in five months.

As coach Des Hasler prepares to name a side including back-from-oblivion prop George Rose for the Elland Road showdown, Matai sought advice from team doctor Paul Bloomfield following training.

The New Zealand World Cup winner made a big impact off the bench in Sunday's warm up win over Harlequins, scoring a tearaway try, but told AAP: "I spoke to the medical staff after Sunday's game and they've said there's a lot of scar tissue around there.

"It's never going to be 100 per cent. It's just something we are going to have to manage."

Matai admitted he was in "quite a bit" of pain during his NRL finals and World Cup campaigns last season, which each netted him winner's medals.

"I was getting needled every now and then with the shoulder, the neck was never 100 per cent," he said.

"It's coming along well (now). Like today, I can't really go 100 per cent. I just have to do the best I can in the gym and hopefully get the strength up.

"The best test for it is to go out there and go hard. I did that on the weekend and I'm hoping to do it this weekend as well."

Matai hosed down speculation over his rematch with Leeds and former England centre Keith Senior, with whom he traded blows in Wellington during the 2006 Tri-Nations.

Fans hoping for fireworks are unlikely to be rewarded, he predicted.

"Not at all - what happened in that game a while ago, that was just heat of the moment," Matai said.

"We're both great competitors and that shows on the field."

As expected, Leeds have lost hooker Danny Buderus (knee) while halfbak Rob Burrow (back) is also in dire doubt.

Ali Lauititi (hamstring), Carl Ablett (niggling injuries), Lee Smith and Ryan Bailey (both concussion) are also on the casualty list.

Hasler has declined to name his side until a Thursday media conference but it's understood Rose - whose career was at the crossroads a year ago due to a spate of injuries - is pushing hard for a bench spot.

The rest of the line-up is relatively settled.

The coach was gracious in accepting the decision of the Australia Rugby League to appoint Tim Sheens ahead of him as national coach.

"I couldn't be happier for Tim," Hasler said. "He's been coach for a long time, done it all, certainly has the experience needed.

"Well done to him."

AAP

Exciting I meant.
Also to mention good luck to Manly and Leeds, may the best team win!
I don't know who to barrack for, my patriotism says Manly.
My anti-Manly says Leeds.

Chook Norris

First Grade
anyone know how the ticket sales are for this match?

playing in a 40,000 seater stadium.. anything less than 30k wont look too good

having said that, also looking forward to this game :D

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Manly have just announced an 18 man squad for the game.

B Stewart;
Robertson,
Lyon,
Matai,
Williams;
Bailey,
Orford (capt);
King,
Ballin,
Perry,
Watmough,
Hall,
G Stewart.

Subs (from):
L’Estrange,
Cuthbertson,
Rose,
Rodney,
Waerea-Hargreaves.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
anyone know how the ticket sales are for this match?

playing in a 40,000 seater stadium.. anything less than 30k wont look too good

having said that, also looking forward to this game :D

Elland Rd only (officially) holds 33k at the moment due to Leeds Utd not opening the top tier of the East stand because of lack of demand for League 1 games. At the moment the sales for this game are around 30k so the main bowl will be full but the upper tier will be empty. You cant really see that on TV anyway unless the show a shot from pitch level

Tommax25

Bench
Exciting I meant.

Barrack for manly just this once, because those pommie bastards have been so smug about dominating this cup, and cant admit that the game and recent results for english teams may be because of the insane amount of advantages they are afforded. Manly for the win.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Exciting I meant.
we Manly fans will give you a temporary reprieve to barrack for us :crazy:

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Going back to the whole attendance thing it was announced on Real Radio tonight that over 29,000 tickets had been sold and the capacity is actually 32k not 33k what I said earlier. I doubt that they will but if they can sell 3k in the nest 2 days then they might open the top tier... as I said though, I doubt it.

Latest posts