What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$1.2 million out of the cap. who will be pushed out for Burgess?

doyen

Bench
Sam Burgess shits all over GI in terms of value to our team. Sam is involved in every set, attack and defense and can provide the second phase play we desperately need. GI chimes in periodically.

Nobody doubts Sam's value to the team--he's just not worth 1.2 million--no player is!!

The only player that's worth that is the one who runs in for a try every time he touches the ball!

Southno1

Juniors
Think we have made a big mistake letting Dylan walker go, Keary should of been gone instead, we got cody walker in NSW cup who is already and better player than keary and even still if Cody walker D is upto first grade standard we can throw GI in 5/8 ( which will get him closer to the action and it will also keep defenders guessing whether he will run or pass) and put cody walker at FB and have an extra playmaker. pretty sure Keary is on better coin than Dylan aswell. We got Sutton and also Dylan walker who can also play 5/8 too. We do not have a top class centre now with dylan gone but with keary gone we could of easily replaced him.

Woofy7

Juniors
People relax, you guys honestly think that, that figure is anywhere near accurate.... You must be kidding me. If that's true than we must of been over the cap before Sam returned. What would of happened if Isaac Luke, Glenn Stewart and Ben Lowe didn't free up money in the cap???? Dylan walker gone and maybe Chris McQueen and that's the end of that..... End result a better roster than 2015

Rabbits20

Immortal
my mate said the sam burgess thing was a circus now im seeing the aftermath
:lol::lol: I know things are in a mess but your comment just made me laugh for some reason!
Mate--I'm so angry at the moment!!!

Anyone with half a brain could see the trouble that absolutely scandalous amt of money will cause!

And Sam will probably want to play soccer or gridiron next year!!!!

Try to calm down mate.

Things could be up in the air for the next 2wks so let's take it a day at a time.

None of us on here want you having a coronary.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I don't know about EASILY solved!

Sounds serious enough to me.

Sam's going to have to play like superman every game as most of his mates from 2014 will have walkered away!!!

We may need to release Grevo early too.

We could be blooding a few youngsters next season doyen.

Rabbits20

Immortal
where did you get the $1,200,000 figure from???

It's reported again Sam is on 1.5 million.

Maybe that's 850-900k by Souths.

Maybe it's 600-650k third party agreements.

Who knows????? Maybe there is trouble back ending the deal. I don't know!!! Sigh:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Pommy

Coach
It wouldn't be the cap amt-----but if Sam is getting 1.2 mill.a season under any circumstances it's wrong in my book!!

GI now has to get more than that for it to be just--he's our skipper & every bit as valuable as Sam;& more!! I don't believe either of those players can live up to that pay packet!

The message being sent to the other members of our team is my concern.

It is a team-game--I know the better players need to be paid more but not more than 10 times some of the others. That is not a fair & reasonable way to do things in sport;in a team game.

It's plainly ridiculous to me.

Did John Sutton get more in 2014 than GI?

JetRider

Juniors
The people managing Souths are not stupid and our coach knows what he is doing. I am also sad to see Dylan go but at the end of the day it was a decision he made not Souths. We may not win the premiership next year but we will compete, Sam, Inglis and co are a sound base, Cook I believe will be a better attacking option and we will unearth another junior I am sure. The club holds high values and as tough as they seem, if you want to be a part of Souths you have to buy into those values. I have seen tougher times at Souths so let's look forward to next year.

themacemaceman

Juniors
I'm confident the club will sort this out. I seem to remember there being an issue with Inglis's contract when we signed him.
If it's not resolved by March 1st I will start worrying.

doyen

Bench
Did John Sutton get more in 2014 than GI?

The comparison was between Sam & GI only!

These two are our marquee players & one is capt.--GI.

He must be paid equal to Sam--if not he would be justly peeved!!

And there goes a huge amt of salary cap on just 2 players.

It only takes one to be injured & we're in trouble with depth.

A better balance right throughout the squad is best; of very good,well-paid players[but not overpaid ones]like the Broncos;who I doubt would pay a ridiculous amt to any one player.

It's better for team harmony!!

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
The comparison was between Sam & GI only!

These two are our marquee players & one is capt.--GI.

He must be paid equal to Sam--if not he would be justly peeved!!

And there goes a huge amt of salary cap on just 2 players.

It only takes one to be injured & we're in trouble with depth.

A better balance right throughout the squad is best; of very good,well-paid players[but not overpaid ones]like the Broncos;who I doubt would pay a ridiculous amt to any one player.

It's better for team harmony!!

doyen, Walker was released because of his attitude, nothing to do with Sam's signing and other players were already earmarked for release.

SaraSassypants

Juniors
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...ocks-sam-burgess-south-sydney-rabbitohs-deal/

Matt Geyer says Walker and McQueen are BIG BIG losses and that our roster looks thin.

He says we will struggle for a top 4 finish.

Also he hopes we don't have a Folau situation where Sam can't return!!!!!!!

Also that Sam must be fit and must fire for the whole season otherwise we are in some strife.
Matt Geyer doesn't know what he's talking about. Look at the player losses Souths had in 2013. We won the premiership the very next year. Rosters need to change in order to identify and promote new talent as well freshening the overall squad vibe.

Manly are in the same boat then.

Cut players left right and centre and signed DCE to huge money.

Don't see people whinging about that scenario.

Woofy7

Juniors
Almost every team who signs marquee players last year and this have been over a million per season

The Pip

Juniors
Can't see how any of this is good for the team.

Great point - morale must be rock bottom. I mean Burgess feasting on $1.5mill per year after dumping on our club to join rugby, and other so called hacks getting say $200k, or even punted from the club , this all must be going down a treat....:shock:

Rabbits20

Immortal
Matt Geyer doesn't know what he's talking about. Look at the player losses Souths had in 2013. We won the premiership the very next year. Rosters need to change in order to identify and promote new talent as well freshening the overall squad vibe.

Our depth could be a problem.