What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 :: ALL STARS :: Indigenous v NRL @ Skilled

All Stars match result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Pete

Referee
All in all, this game was as good as I expected. A real exhibition of attacking Rugby League where the players never died wondering.

I didn't like some of the niggle nor the referee coming into it, I felt that detracted from the spirit of the game but all in all there were more positives to come out of it. I thought all the young guys really stepped up while the older players played as expected.

The players who stood out for me were...

Blake Ferguson - Came up with some rookie errors but showed some real talent at time. I've been impressed with the kid since last year and I hope for his and Cronulla's sake he has a great season.

Jharal Yow Yeh - Again, came up with some silly rookie mistakes but came up with some big plays and his enthusiasm was awesome. Loved his ability to chase and his tackle on Farah was awesome. Great work.

Jonathan Thurston - Typical Thurston performance. Ran the ball well.

George Rose - Was a little sluggish at first but as the game went on he really did come to his own. Looks like he's going from strength to strength with his 09 form.

Travis Waddell - Was very handy out of dummy half and came up with some awesome tackles in defence. Was a shame to see him finish the game heavily concussed.

Sam Thaiday - Put in a good performance. Very passionate and wasn't afraid to get involved either by rolling up the sleeves or spreading the ball. Real leadership esque performance.

Ben Jones - Probably the best performance I've seen from the kid. Could be a real goer for the Roosters out of that dummy half position if Aubusson fails.

Joel Thompson - As Skeepe said, this kid stepped up and didn't take a backwards step to anybody. Loved the attitude he played with.

Greg Bird - Hated his style of play. As scummy as they come but couldn't doubt his effort. Ran the ball hard and came up with some good hits. Good performance all-round.

Jamie Soward - Awesome running game, and great long distance kicking game. Still needs to choose his passes better but a good performance all-round.

All-Stars
Jarryd Hayne - Very flashy, looks like we're going to get more of the same from him this year.

Kurt Gidley - Thought he was the All-Stars best back in the first half before he had to withdraw because of injury. Great support play and he came up with the right decision on most plays.

Michael Jennings - Showed some great flair. Was guilty of trying a little too hard at times but I felt his skill lent itself to making a very good game.

Josh Morris - Had a great game. Used his speed well and made some good choices in defence as well.

Sam Burgess - Took a half or so for him to adjust to the rules but I thought when he did he was good. A little erratic at times, but that's common in games like this. As a Souths fan, I'd be very excited.

The rest of the All-Stars were very solid or a little dissapointing (Marshall, Vatuvei). All-Stars forward pack was better for the most part, but the Indigenous side just wanted it more at the end of the day.

watatank

Coach
Not sure how Soward's game proved anything...sure he didn't do his chances any harm but it's not as though he played himself into contention...

IMO the stand out players from this game were:

Thurston - involved from the start, picked his options well and defended superbly.

Thaiday - led from the front and will be strong again this year.

Burgess - excellent potential. Reminds me of a young Crocker without the grubbiness.

Bird - his style is not like others but he plays the game hard and brings a different dimension to defence.

Ladmate

Bench
All in all, this game was as good as I expected. A real exhibition of attacking Rugby League where the players never died wondering.

I didn't like some of the niggle nor the referee coming into it, I felt that detracted from the spirit of the game but all in all there were more positives to come out of it. I thought all the young guys really stepped up while the older players played as expected.

The players who stood out for me were...

Blake Ferguson - Came up with some rookie errors but showed some real talent at time. I've been impressed with the kid since last year and I hope for his and Cronulla's sake he has a great season.

Jharal Yow Yeh - Again, came up with some silly rookie mistakes but came up with some big plays and his enthusiasm was awesome. Loved his ability to chase and his tackle on Farah was awesome. Great work.

Jonathan Thurston - Typical Thurston performance. Ran the ball well.

George Rose - Was a little sluggish at first but as the game went on he really did come to his own. Looks like he's going from strength to strength with his 09 form.

Travis Waddell - Was very handy out of dummy half and came up with some awesome tackles in defence. Was a shame to see him finish the game heavily concussed.

Sam Thaiday - Put in a good performance. Very passionate and wasn't afraid to get involved either by rolling up the sleeves or spreading the ball. Real leadership esque performance.

Ben Jones - Probably the best performance I've seen from the kid. Could be a real goer for the Roosters out of that dummy half position if Aubusson fails.

Joel Thompson - As Skeepe said, this kid stepped up and didn't take a backwards step to anybody. Loved the attitude he played with.

Greg Bird - Hated his style of play. As scummy as they come but couldn't doubt his effort. Ran the ball hard and came up with some good hits. Good performance all-round.

Jamie Soward - Awesome running game, and great long distance kicking game. Still needs to choose his passes better but a good performance all-round.

All-Stars
Jarryd Hayne - Very flashy, looks like we're going to get more of the same from him this year.

Kurt Gidley - Thought he was the All-Stars best back in the first half before he had to withdraw because of injury. Great support play and he came up with the right decision on most plays.

Michael Jennings - Showed some great flair. Was guilty of trying a little too hard at times but I felt his skill lent itself to making a very good game.

Josh Morris - Had a great game. Used his speed well and made some good choices in defence as well.

Sam Burgess - Took a half or so for him to adjust to the rules but I thought when he did he was good. A little erratic at times, but that's common in games like this. As a Souths fan, I'd be very excited.

The rest of the All-Stars were very solid or a little dissapointing (Marshall, Vatuvei). All-Stars forward pack was better for the most part, but the Indigenous side just wanted it more at the end of the day.

I can't believe you thought Hayne played good. He was absolutely terrible beside 1 run. He made errors and didn't make meters.

Big Pete

Referee
I can't believe you thought Hayne played good. He was absolutely terrible beside 1 run. He made errors and didn't make meters.

He did have a poor game but what he showed leads me to believe he'll be in for a big year.

Latest posts