What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | PF2 - W1 v WSF1 | Sat | Dragons 13-12 Tigers | ANZ (WST elim)

NRL 2010 Grand Finalist #2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From a Tigers perspective we were absolutely murdered by the referees in the first half (5-0 penalty count at one stage) and did so well to continually repel the Dragons' attack. However, in the second half the Dragons were just clinical - their kicking game was pinpoint, their forwards were dominant and they managed to get excellent yardage from quick play-the-balls. Effectively, they stifled the Tigers completely preventing us from getting any decent territory. It was a hard way to lose but I can't say that the Dragons weren't deserved winners. Congrats.

Red Bear

Referee
What about knees from Smith? Accidental or not he lead with the knees. Most high tackles are accidental, it's still a penalty.

That was sh*thouse.

Good game.

_Johnsy

Referee
The Jeremy Smith trip and interference in the play the ball when Galloway was adjudged to have it knocked on were two massive f**k-ups as well.

iunderstand you lost, however smith made contact with his arms first, fair tackle.

If Gallaway had not tried to advance a few meters and play the ball he would have played it with no interference at all, 50-50 call.

No mention of the "forward" pass call to morris, he was in the clear, would have been a try. Meh better team won.

super_coach

First Grade
The two pink men made plenty of blunders both ways, but the Tigers got by far the worst of the decisions. If given a fair crack the tigers could have had a winning lead at oranges, but Haynes and his mate had others idea.

The Dragons are to good defensively to be gifted field position for the majority of the 1st half. Next week will be interesting who will the two pink men gift the grand final to

AJH

Juniors
From a Tigers perspective we were absolutely murdered by the referees in the first half (5-0 penalty count at one stage) and did so well to continually repel the Dragons' attack. However, in the second half the Dragons were just clinical - their kicking game was pinpoint, their forwards were dominant and they managed to get excellent yardage from quick play-the-balls. Effectively, they stifled the Tigers completely preventing us from getting any decent territory. It was a hard way to lose but I can't say that the Dragons weren't deserved winners. Congrats.
I think it was fairly clear that the 'murdering' (as you say) was because the Tigers were continually in front of the ref trying to race up and cut off the Dragons. Yes, the count was high against the Tigers in the first half, but mostly because of their own doing. In fact, I think their first penalty was when Brett Morris was penalised for actually being square at marker!

Well said TV Ted, to be fair though at the game the tigers looked VERY offside the few penalties I saw. Line speed was their mantra all week and I think they teleghraphed their punches a bit there. A couple of square ups as the game wore on but as is par for the course in the finals the closer to the end of the game the whistle gets blown less.

For the record, the Boyd play the ball was OK because he tried to play it. You will see dozens of times every game where really the person playing the ball is NOT trying to play it and its fine.

Anyway, glad we won, more glad its over, hate the week off, can only improve.

_Johnsy

Referee
Nah, $100 is as high as I'll go.

I enjoy a bit of fan baiting, but not enough to lose a fistful of cash over it. Happy to have a bet on it, since you offered.

I'm reasonably confident the Tigers will win, but anything can happen in NRL.

:thumb will either be my celebrating beer $ or drowning my sorrows $

Ulysseus

Bench
Well Saints did it, and did it when they were behind at halftime AND in the process probably took the "chokers" tag, dipped it in Valvoline and are now just 80 minutes away from ramming it straight up the arses of a few people.

BUT, they did not look overly convincing in attack for a lot of the game, that has to be said, they played like a team that had not had a game in 2 weeks and got away with the result, unlike the Titans who played like a team who hadn't had a game in 2 weeks and got flogged.

There were a few stupid calls from the officialdom, but to anyone bitching about DB's missed play the ball, he was at least playing at it, several tigers done similar things, particularly when they were looking to get a quick play the ball and it looked like they were playing tunnel ball for a while there.
Also, I am bemused that Saints get penalised for hitting Lui late but when the same thing happens to Fien not a damn thing is done about it, it seems as if its not about how or when you are hit and in what manner, but is more about who is watching at the time.
The fact Wests scored of the Lui penalty pisses me off greatly, but you get that.

I think it was fairly clear that the 'murdering' (as you say) was because the Tigers were continually in front of the ref trying to race up and cut off the Dragons. Yes, the count was high against the Tigers in the first half, but mostly because of their own doing. In fact, I think their first penalty was when Brett Morris was penalised for actually being square at marker!

The Dragons were also encroaching within the 10m as they tried to put pressure on Farah and the man one off the ruck. There was also plenty of interference in the play-the-balls that would ordinarily have warranted a penalty. Undoubtedly, the Dragons were the better team overall but looking at the first half with a bit of objectivity suggests that the 5-0 penalty count was harsh, particularly as the Dragons weren't being pulled up for the same offences.

Anyway, everybody will forget about this game in a week. St George have been the best side all year and thoroughly deserve to be in the GF.

AJH

Juniors
The Dragons were also encroaching within the 10m as they tried to put pressure on Farah and the man one off the ruck. There was also plenty of interference in the play-the-balls that would ordinarily have warranted a penalty. Undoubtedly, the Dragons were the better team overall but looking at the first half with a bit of objectivity suggests that the 5-0 penalty count was harsh, particularly as the Dragons weren't being pulled up for the same offences.

Anyway, everybody will forget about this game in a week. St George have been the best side all year and thoroughly deserve to be in the GF.
Hey Ted, not trying to argue the point with you. Just suggesting that a 5-0 count doesn't always mean the team on the 0 side is being 'murdered'. The refereeing was pathetic all round tonight.

Cheers
AJ

chrisD

Coach
Refs were sh*t but didn't favor anyone. They just have to make an attempt to play the ball with the foot according to the rules and Boyd did, twice, and Tuqiri fell in front of Smith when he was just coming in to make a tackle. 3 of the 5 in the first half were legit and then the Tigers got two soft ones in a row for their second try.

Just home from the game. Absolutely gutted, but still it was a cracking game, hopefully next week's game is just as good.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Dragons defence just too good. Especially in our own half, they just belted us all night.

Very proud of how we played though...and could have easily won it in the end but not to be.

j0nesy

Bench
That was a tough game of footy. Smith was awesome for us tonight. I thought Marshall was brilliant for the Tigers as well, the kick out on the full aside.

aussie7798

First Grade
for those whinging about the penalties i will just point out that those 5 penalties in the first 20 where all the dragons penalties for teh match

not 1 for the next 60 minutes

add to that the 2 penalties that piggy backed the tigers down for their second try where utter garbage

_Johnsy

Referee
TV Ted

Just a curious question.

You got the exactly same penalty last week & you had no issue with the decision to penalise the Canberra player, why the change this week ?

I have been going to the football since the late 70's, the referees tonight were the most biased, inept and one-sided cheating officials I have ever seen.

Proud of the tigers that they were able to overcome that and still remain in the contest for the full 80. This team is going places.