What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'10 | R17 | Mon | Dragons 8-12 Panthers | WIN Jubilee

Result: Dragons v Panthers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

redvscotty

First Grade
Panthers were just too good. Well done to them, they were just hungrier for the win.

Sandor Earl is going to get belted sooner rather than later.

Eelectrica

Referee
Congrats Panthers. Well deserved win. That's one way to announce to the doubters that the Panthers are for real this year.
Going to be tough to back up next week though against the Warriors.

Anon

Bench
Geez... the calendar says July but the Dragons are already playing like it's September!

9 players missing and two tries all (with two more disallowed) is far from choking.

innsaneink

Referee
Very impressed with Penriths forwards --- they rolled on all night long and just made inroads effortlessly, the defence was good too but lazy at times

Soward looks like a tall midget with his headgear off

jc155776

Coach
How long until the Merge fans are screaming for Gasniers head?

See them walking out with 5 mins to go?? Hahahahaha, FMD, imagine what they will be like during an actually sh*t season....

redvscotty

First Grade
How long until the Merge fans are screaming for Gasniers head?

See them walking out with 5 mins to go?? Hahahahaha, FMD, imagine what they will be like during an actually sh*t season....

To be fair, the Broncos fans walk out with about 15 to go..... when they are winning!

Kilkenny

Coach
I think it was a very spirited contest and neither side deserves any criticism from the doubters.

Yes both sides were undermanned but goodness me it was a relatively high quality intense contest in difficult rainy conditions.

From the bias perspective of a Panther fan I thought we generally dominated the forward battle and always looked likely to win, even if we didn't quite put the Dragons away. Dragons fans may disagree but I tend to think the heavy penalty count in favour of the Dragons probably kept them in the contest.

Gaba

First Grade
Scratching my head, how maxwell allowed the play to go on after the pass which he allegedly seen forward, and never called it

Amazingly maxwell and the touchie were running with the play after the pass been thrown and when the try was scored by the dragons , maxwell was over the deadball line and ruled the pass forward ?

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
Rightly or wrongly forward pass calls are hurting the Dragons to such an extent where I think they should have a serious look at scaling back how fine a line they tread.

Injuries and rep sides aside, Gasnier in current shape is not one of the best 17 at the Dragons, his presence in the side should not be taken for granted and there should be a question mark over if he can make it there by finals time.

Panthers just keep on trucking, Grants best game of the season, Bell great, Tighe has been fantastic all season and is still getting better, Graham will be all the better for the time in the middle, only disappointment to me was the back row. The two passes wide then an inside ball to a backrower running an outside-in line is just not causing any problems for defences.

Serc

First Grade
Edit: thought it was played at Penrith for some silly reason :p

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
Benny told the Dragons to play this game like a semi-final and they followed his instructions to the letter....

Nice to win at Kogarah, thats 3 from 26 now, but would have been nirvana to hold the Dragons to nil. Apparently that has NEVER been achieved at this ground.

GongPanther

Referee
It was a game were the Panthers wanted more and showed the desperation and the will in how to overcome the odds.

Just hope the lads are not too sore after this encounter and hopefully we will be O.K. for the clash against the Warriors @ Penrith on Nein next Sunday.

If Grants leg is busted,I assume we will be without him for at least 4-6 weeks.

It's the younger lads that heal more quickly so we should see him back for the game against either the Wests Tigers or the Rabbits.

Jason Maher

Immortal
One team turned up ready to play tonight, and they rightly won the contest. I don't care how many players we had out, I'm still very, very disappointed at the attitude shown by the players, as I imagine Wayne would be. I wouldn't like to fronting him after that effort.

Anyway, well done to the Panthers. While it's difficult to draw too much from a game with so many players out, to me they look the real deal. A very smart game plan tonight (basically do everything to get up in our faces, even if it means being called repeatedly for offside and forward passes), and they pulled it off to perfection.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Benny told the Dragons to play this game like a semi-final and they followed his instructions to the letter....

Nice to win at Kogarah, thats 3 from 26 now, but would have been nirvana to hold the Dragons to nil. Apparently that has NEVER been achieved at this ground.

You cheeky bastard... :lol:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I think it was a very spirited contest and neither side deserves any criticism from the doubters.

Yes both sides were undermanned but goodness me it was a relatively high quality intense contest in difficult rainy conditions.

From the bias perspective of a Panther fan I thought we generally dominated the forward battle and always looked likely to win, even if we didn't quite put the Dragons away. Dragons fans may disagree but I tend to think the heavy penalty count in favour of the Dragons probably kept them in the contest.

How many warnings did the panthers need about being inside the 10 before the ref took real action though?

Panthers were the better side, but the referees failed to stamp their authority on the game.

mxlegend99

Referee
One team turned up ready to play tonight, and they rightly won the contest. I don't care how many players we had out, I'm still very, very disappointed at the attitude shown by the players, as I imagine Wayne would be. I wouldn't like to fronting him after that effort.

Anyway, well done to the Panthers. While it's difficult to draw too much from a game with so many players out, to me they look the real deal. A very smart game plan tonight (basically do everything to get up in our faces, even if it means being called repeatedly for offside and forward passes), and they pulled it off to perfection.
Cheers for giving credit where it's due. regardless of the players missing, IMO the Dragons had the far better side on paper. For the Panthers to come away with a win was amazing. Tonights backline was worse the any nightmare you could imagine.

Obviously the game was completely irrelevant as far as how either team would go at full strength. But it sure showed that he Panthers are a genuine thread this season. Our attitude is just amazing. If we keep that up we'll be playing you guys again in the Grand Final.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sucks that both teams had so many players out, that meant it was hard to take too much out of this game.

The panthers just ran harder and tackled harder.

The dragons attack really struggles without Boyd, soward and hornby get shown up big time without Jim there. There's a reason he is leading the daly m points.

Rodent

Bench
There was nothing in that game. It was a toss of the coin in the end. A little bit of luck and Saints win. Soward's conversion that hit the post for example....if that goes in he gets a chance to level it up after the last try.
2 tries disallowed from forward passes. Lett's try was okayed by the touchie but overruled by the touchie 60m away, you know, the touchie on the far side who Soward had his back to when he passed it.
Penrith had by far the better pack and the conditions suited them too. They will have Petero and Lewis come back in to the pack and we will have Weyman, Jeremy Smith, Costigan and Beau Scott who will be in the pack come semi final time. They won't get rolled over. Penrith will have a much more potent backline with Jennings, Walsh and Gordon in. Saints too will get Cooper, Boyd and Morris. If we meet in the finals it should be a great clash.