What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 teams for World Cup

ByRd

First Grade
**I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER TOPIC**

i dont know if this idea has been mentioned before but here it goes.

i would have 3 groups with 4 teams in each group (this is just random & im putting any teams in)

Group A:
*Australia
*PNG
*Ireland
*Russia

Group B:
*England
*Wales
*Tonga
*Lebanon

Group C:
*NZ
*France
*Scotland
*Fiji

Each team plays each group opponent once and the TOP 2 from each group qualify to next round plus the best 2 runner up sides. From this you have 8 teams remaining with:

QF1>*Winner group A (vs) runner up #1 (.eg. Australia/Wales)
QF2>*Winner group B (vs) runner up #2 (.eg. England/Fiji)
QF3>*Winner group C (vs) second place group B (.eg. NZ/Lebanon)
QF4>*second place group A (vs) second place group C (.eg.Ireland/France)

The winners of this stage then qualify to the semis which is:
*winner QF 1 (vs) winner QF 3
*winner QF 2 (vs) winner QF 4

Then the third placed game & the final (i think this is a total of 26 which i think is enough & not over the top.)

the venues used could be:

NSW: Aussie, Telstra, Parramatta, Gosford, Showground, Wollongong & Canberra

QLD: Suncorp & Dairy Farmers

VIC: Olympic Park & Telstra dome

SA: Hindmarsh staidum

WA: Members Eqiuty Stadium

*Quarter finals to be played at Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, & Parramatta.
*Semi finals to be played at Aussie & Sucorp
*Final to be played at Telstra stadium

>Australia should play its group matches in Melbourne, Adelaide, & Perth.

I think that this is the best way to go as lower teams have a chance to progress further with the 2 runner up spots. (if you have any suggestions feel free to say).

In-goal

Bench
not bad but a 12 team comp realy needs 4 pools of 3.

the 10 team model used in 95 was excelent as Australia lost the opener which gave the tournament instant credibility, then went onto beat NZ in the semi in Extra time after Matthew Ridge missed a field goal.

10 teams 1 pool of 4, 2 pools of 3 or the 12 teams 4 pools of 3.

Ari Gold

Bench
screeny said:
Robbyalvaro,

You're obvioulsy clued up on all things Italia RL. What are the clubs that play in the domestic comp in Italy? Are they union clubs? What were the results etc and what were the three home int'ls they played in Italy?

I've heard nowt but it'd be great if this was all happening on the sly.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

all i know about the domestic competition is that the teams represent a state.....like NSW, QLD here in AUS.

The only two teams i know of are Veneto and Lombardia as they usually appear every year without having much trouble recruiting players. the other two change each year as some clubs find it hard financially.....

The club Veneto mostly consists of Union players.

Last year scotland played against Italy in padova, they beat us 30-10.

a few months before that we staged the Padova Cup. we played against Tatarstan(russian province) and they got over us 16-12, we then battled strongly against Scotland and we managed to snatch a 16-16, the crowd for that match was 500.

we held another tournament in 2003 called the Commitato Di Rugby League A XIII, which was staged against a touring French club team, who we played three games against.

none of these games involved Ex-pats, all the players were from Italy.

here are some pics.....

imgpcsco.htm

Der Kaiser

Juniors
I have sent a few E.Mails to both Italy and Greece asking if they would like to send a team to play in the 9s event in Munich on the 30th July 2005.Both I have heard nothing.My last E.mail to the Italians found no such E.mail address!I asked Kevin Rudd (Euro Development Officer) what has happened and he says its gone quiet with the Italians and has no idea whats happening.Nobody that I know of in Europe has a clue whats happening in Italy-not Sydney.What plans are in place for 2005?What about a 9s comp being setup as Im sure French, German, Serbian as well as English sides would come to help.Who is in charge in Italy and whats there E.Mail address and Tel nr etc?If anybody knows please let Kevin Rudd know at least.I hope still that a Greek and an Italian Domestic team can come to Munich which will have Dutch, English and hopefully French and Serbian sides to compliment the German Union sides present.

carlnz

Bench
dog4life said:
**I POSTED THIS IN ANOTHER TOPIC**

i dont know if this idea has been mentioned before but here it goes.

i would have 3 groups with 4 teams in each group (this is just random & im putting any teams in)

Group A:
*Australia
*PNG
*Ireland
*Russia

Group B:
*England
*Wales
*Tonga
*Lebanon

Group C:
*NZ
*France
*Scotland
*Fiji

Each team plays each group opponent once and the TOP 2 from each group qualify to next round plus the best 2 runner up sides. From this you have 8 teams remaining with:

QF1>*Winner group A (vs) runner up #1 (.eg. Australia/Wales)
QF2>*Winner group B (vs) runner up #2 (.eg. England/Fiji)
QF3>*Winner group C (vs) second place group B (.eg. NZ/Lebanon)
QF4>*second place group A (vs) second place group C (.eg.Ireland/France)

The winners of this stage then qualify to the semis which is:
*winner QF 1 (vs) winner QF 3
*winner QF 2 (vs) winner QF 4

Then the third placed game & the final (i think this is a total of 26 which i think is enough & not over the top.)

the venues used could be:

NSW: Aussie, Telstra, Parramatta, Gosford, Showground, Wollongong & Canberra

QLD: Suncorp & Dairy Farmers

VIC: Olympic Park & Telstra dome

SA: Hindmarsh staidum

WA: Members Eqiuty Stadium

*Quarter finals to be played at Canberra, Townsville, Newcastle, & Parramatta.
*Semi finals to be played at Aussie & Sucorp
*Final to be played at Telstra stadium

>Australia should play its group matches in Melbourne, Adelaide, & Perth.

I think that this is the best way to go as lower teams have a chance to progress further with the 2 runner up spots. (if you have any suggestions feel free to say).

Why are you putting Russia in the same group as Australia? but them in with the France group and put Fiji with the Australians...no need to have another 100 point thrashing!

In-goal

Bench
A 12 team cup with 4 pools of 3 creating 12 group matches
We would then have 1/4 final followed buy semis
and the final.

17 matches would be alright and you could knock that back to 13 by ridding the 1/4 finals and having top placed nation from each pool through.

Why is everyone saying Russia and USA have to be in the WC?
If it's a 10 team WC then it should be the BEST 10 countries in the world. If Russia and USA are two of them then good on them.

But I'd rather see close matches and no Russia and USA, then putting them in for promo reasons only and seeing cricket scores. USA may have only got beaten 36-24 by Aust, but in the WC in Aust on a real RL field it could be anything.

If proper qualifiers are put in place then we should just get the top 10.

Also is it definite that it won't be GB, but the four individual home nations???

t-ba

Post Whore
4 pools of 3 would with QF's would be an excellent system imo. Every game counts!

Razor

Coach
[quofe]
Also is it definite that it won't be GB, but the four individual home nations???
[/quote]

Hope not.

The Olympics Great Britain competes as a team.

The League World Cup should be the same.

England, Wales, Scotland, Nth Ireland all have the same PM, so are basically the same country and are just states(even though that's not the case officially)

Tomahawk

Staff member
How can the Tomahawks not be one of the teams to make the 2008 World Cup? After a huge match with they had with the Australians in which they managed to put up 24 points on the scoreboard. More points then what very few countries have ever put up in one game against the Australians. More points then some countries have put up against the Australians in several games combined.

Then the Tomahawks did this with a team made up of almost all American players from the AMNRL. Their were I think 3 international players on that team. There were at least two players on that team that it was their first time being on the Tomahawks. A team that was made up of players that had an age range of 23 to 36 years old. A team made of mostly all players that have only had 4 or 5 years of experience.

Then go figure that Clint Newton was unable to play for the Tomahawks, do to the NRL not letting him because of his suspension. Julian O’Neil and many other international players could not commit to the match or declined the invention. Experience that the Tomahawks could have used.

The Tomahawks earned and deserve to be one of the teams that are invited to the World Cup. Anyone who thinks differently should go get his or her head checked.

Tomahawk

Tomahawk said:
How can the Tomahawks not be one of the teams to make the 2008 World Cup? After a huge match with they had with the Australians in which they managed to put up 24 points on the scoreboard. More points then what very few countries have ever put up in one game against the Australians. More points then some countries have put up against the Australians in several games combined.

Then the Tomahawks did this with a team made up of almost all American players from the AMNRL. Their were I think 3 international players on that team. There were at least two players on that team that it was their first time being on the Tomahawks. A team that was made up of players that had an age range of 23 to 36 years old. A team made of mostly all players that have only had 4 or 5 years of experience.

Then go figure that Clint Newton was unable to play for the Tomahawks, do to the NRL not letting him because of his suspension. Julian O’Neil and many other international players could not commit to the match or declined the invention. Experience that the Tomahawks could have used.

The Tomahawks earned and deserve to be one of the teams that are invited to the World Cup. Anyone who thinks differently should go get his or her head checked.

Tomahawk
No I don't think we need to have our heads checked. If USA want to compete at the WC they should have to qualify just like any other nation. It would make a joke of the RLWC if the USA made it, but a team that is clearly better than the US didn't make it.

We have to make sure it is more a WORLD Cup, not just Europe and Oceania, but we can't just put any nation in there.

Also I think GB shoudl play as one so more other nations can make the WC.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Then invite everyone in the world and make everyone qualify all the same way.

Tomahawk

Tomahawk said:
Then invite everyone in the world and make everyone qualify all the same way.

Tomahawk
I don't think they can make everyone qualify all the same. Look don't worry if the Tomahawks are good enough they'll make it. But if they aren't they won't and that's the way it should be.

Tidus_Raider said:
10 teams? WTF???

Australia
New Zealand
England
France
Wales
Papua New Guinea
United States of America
Lebanon
Russia
Serbia

That's already 10 nations without including teams like the Cook islands, Tonga, Fiji, Morrocco, Ireland, Scotland etc.

Should be minimum of 12 teams. The reason the last WC lost money was because it was so badly promoted. The RLIF should have prelimenery ad campaigns, anthems, draws etc etc by the end of 2005. A solid 2 years of promoting the sh*t out of this tournament will get people onterested no doubt. We must follow Union lead.

Why do people here think that teams like Serbia , Lebanon , Russia and USA are more stronger than Fiji , Samoa and Tonga ?
A local team from Tonga and Fiji will thrash local teams from this coutries . And if Lebanon & USA borrow players from Sydney then a Samoan and Tonga team will thrash them with with players from the NRL .

carlnz

Bench
You got to have juniors playing aswell....Wales and England have the potential to beat any side in the world on their day...having GB in the World Cup is the worst idea ever....theat would kill rugby league in Wales Ireland and Scotland...which who are all working hard to on their local talent....I also believe Wales have a dozen up and cummers coming through the ranks......same with Ireland......

Tomahawk

Staff member
My point was that I think people are taking the Australian/US game as a fluke. Even if the were hurt, and playing around like kids, the Americans gave the Australians a huge scare. How did they do this, with a team made up of almost all AMNRL players. Maybe the first team that CEO and president Dave Nui was not a player or a coach. The Americans are a force to be wrecken with and should not be over looked.

Tomahawk

Tomahawk said:
My point was that I think people are taking the Australian/US game as a fluke. Even if the were hurt, and playing around like kids, the Americans gave the Australians a huge scare. How did they do this, with a team made up of almost all AMNRL players. Maybe the first team that CEO and president Dave Nui was not a player or a coach. The Americans are a force to be wrecken with and should not be over looked.

Tomahawk
Dude calm down. They're not going to be overlooked. But they will have to qualify just like every other nation. One good result against Australia should not ensure their place in an event four year's down the track.

Big Bunny

Juniors
Tomahawk, with all due respect to the USA national team they played against an Australian squad that was more concerned with avoiding injuries than in playing at full pace aginst the Tomahawks. The USA showed that they have a lot of ability and did surprise Australia with their potential to score tries, but the fact is that Australia were in 3rd gear during the first 2 quarters. Your national team was given the benefit of a break every 20 minutes and a massive bench, something that would benefit greatly any nation against Australia. Time and time again Australia has shown its ability to play above and beyond its rivals, all of whom tend to fade in the last 20 minutes. That has to an extent changed this year during the Tri-Nations, but that you still don't see the true strength of the Kangaroos is an indication that you're allowing patriotism to cloud your judgement. On current ability I don't believe that the US team is anywhere near assured of a berth in the 2008 World Cup. I rank them no higher than at 15 and it remains to be seen if their NRL based players will turn out for the team during qualifying rounds.