What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

10 teams for World Cup

Ari Gold

Bench
Russia has a massive player base, and next year they are set to introduce two massive sponsors to pump money into their domestic competition, which means it will be able to financially compete against the French RU which is poaching its young players....

yakstorm

First Grade
carlnz said:
t-ba the hutt said:
CarlNZ-People are interested in the US and Russia due to their potential.

Kind of like the Number of Qualifying spots Asia and North America have in the FIFA WC and the number of Qualifying spots in 'asia' (Pacific Islands Slapabout...+Japan!) and 'Americas' have in the IRB world Cup.

I cant understand Russia, in the World Cup they lost 76-4 to England, and this year they lost 98-4 to a weak England team with only 1,200 people turning up...

So in 4 years have they gone backwards?

Euro Nations Cup was played in about a -10C day... I dont' blame people not turning up to watch the match. Understand the difference between the 2000 RLWC Russia and today. Back in 2000 the Russians drew on a number of Australians, including then Roosters player Ian Rubin, Donovan from Redcliffe, and I believe there were 5-6 others. Now the side is all Russian born and bred.

yakstorm

First Grade
As for the World Cup, 10 teams is the favoured amount, there is about 3-4 different combinations of the 10 teams which is being thrown up. There were also plans for 8 and 12. As for that figure of $2 million extra cost, me thinks Mr Lib, has over-exaggerated that aspect...I know the RLIF is cautious of not trying to over-extend itself.

That $2 million is possibly more in terms of what the RLIF expect in terms of sponsorship, meaning, they don't expect to get that much more for the extra teams, so it will be less revenue per side, throw in the additional costs, such as travel, accomodation, ground hire and so on, and unless the two extra teams are high profile ones they will be a bit of a cost.

Now onto the qualifers there will be 3 qualifers, but I'll assure you the Med Cup will NOT be one. There will be an expaneded European Nations Cup, a Pacific Cup and then a third qualification tournament, which could be made up of multiple 'satellite' competitions, or might not, that is still being decided. South Africa will have a chance to quality, same with USA, Canada and Japan.

From personally seeing the options for the 2008 RLWC, there are some exciting stuff in line for the tournament.

yakstorm

First Grade
Not big enough and too regionalised.

Really out of all the teams eligable for the tournament, the only two which currently don't have another possible option is Lebanon and Morocco. Serbia can easily be put in an expanded European Nations Cup, and France already have a spot in that tournament.

Also there has to be an option for other nations to have a chance of qualifying such as South Africa, USA, Canada and so on.

Razor

Coach
screeny said:
Razor the 2000 WC made a massive loss!

I've read it elsewhere but this issue of RLR mentions again it made a profit. Page 8 - "the 2000 World Cup which actually did make a profit but was announced as a huge failure"

yakstorm

First Grade
Razor said:
screeny said:
Razor the 2000 WC made a massive loss!

I've read it elsewhere but this issue of RLR mentions again it made a profit. Page 8 - "the 2000 World Cup which actually did make a profit but was announced as a huge failure"

The 2000 RLWC would of made a profit if the prize money was not paid out....the difference wasn't that great, there was a few issues there in regards to money the tournament should of made but didn't due to stupid mistakes, it something that has been argued over before.

Der Kaiser

Juniors
Why should Italy get in?They dont play ANY games in Italy, Have no domestic comp or even any signs of one starting up!Atleast Holland, Serbia, Cook Islands, Russia, Ireland, Lebanon etc have played on homesoil not somewhere in Oz only!Holland for example have played Internationals this year in Holland plus are due to play Georgia next year.A nation not yet considered-Germany, if things carry on will look to 2006 to play internationals probably against the Dutch or Serbs.We also hope to set up a domestic season by 2006even if it means 3 clubs or 3 clubs holding 9s comps in June, July and August its more than what many alleged nations have in their homelands!

Teams entered to qualify should have a minimum standard i.e have 3 domestic teams plus be based in the homeland not living out of Ex pats in Sydney or London, play at least 1 international at home Plus be looking to the future and have plans in place what the aims will be etc.Look tobe self financing as much as poss which means not asking every year for thousands of Euros/Dollars to help the game etc

carlnz

Bench
Tidus_Raider said:
Russia MUST be there IMO. So much potential. Look at it this way, Russia has 3 1/2 years to improve. I think with their junior numbers (dont they have a fairly large player base) and obvious enthusiasm for the game then they should be given a spot. Russia is a huge market and if League can crack it then it'll do wonders for the international game.....and the RLIF bottom dollar.

Thats Crap....as much as I would love to see Russia their....they must qualify....We need the best 10 or 12 nations their...not just because we believe they are heading in the right direction they dont deserve a spot...or we would be having USA, Scotland, Holland, Serbia all in their then!!

If they are good enough they will make it, they will need to most likley pull all the players they can from AUS and ENG...I hope they do make it, I would love to see them and Lebanon in their again.....but you go tell a nation like the Cook Islands you didnt make it because we want Russia in their....Cooks have an excellent team (which was showen in the Pacific Rim without any NRL players) Fiji are getting stronger and stronger with a handful of players in the Super League, and you got Tonga who I believe are going to be giant killers with their NRL players in their team...

In-goal

Bench
So 3 regionalised tournaments for qualifiers, that sounds realy promising i wonder if we will see televised matches around the world?

taipan

Referee
robyalvaro said:
Russia has a massive player base, and next year they are set to introduce two massive sponsors to pump money into their domestic competition, which means it will be able to financially compete against the French RU which is poaching its young players....

I am interested in where the info on the 2 massive sponsors for league in Russia was made. If it is true great for the game,can you provide source ?

In-goal

Bench
robyalvaro wrote:

yes i to would like to know were you heard this.

yakstorm

First Grade
Der Kaiser said:
Why should Italy get in?They dont play ANY games in Italy, Have no domestic comp or even any signs of one starting up!Atleast Holland, Serbia, Cook Islands, Russia, Ireland, Lebanon etc have played on homesoil not somewhere in Oz only!Holland for example have played Internationals this year in Holland plus are due to play Georgia next year.A nation not yet considered-Germany, if things carry on will look to 2006 to play internationals probably against the Dutch or Serbs.We also hope to set up a domestic season by 2006even if it means 3 clubs or 3 clubs holding 9s comps in June, July and August its more than what many alleged nations have in their homelands!

Woah! Calm down Der, Italy will have to qualify for the event just like everyone else, and will need to reach the minimum requirements which will involve having a domestic competition and a minimum number of home grown players in their squad.

ATM they will NOT qualify, but its only 2004, they still have time, and best of luck to them. They have acctually played on home soil in the Padova Cup a couple of years back...as for setting up domestic competitions, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt they have something in the pipeline.

carlnz

Bench
Italy has a four team comp which has been going for a few years...however was not played this year and is expected to return next season

In-goal

Bench
Yakstorm do you have any kind of idea what criteria will be required for qualifaction to RLIFWC 2008?

Ari Gold

Bench
Der Kaiser said:

Teams entered to qualify should have a minimum standard i.e have 3 domestic teams plus be based in the homeland not living out of Ex pats in Sydney or London, play at least 1 international at home Plus be looking to the future and have plans in place what the aims will be etc.Look tobe self financing as much as poss which means not asking every year for thousands of Euros/Dollars to help the game etc

Italy had played about 3 internationals last year in their homeland, plus had a domestic comp running. i have no idea what happened this year but im sure there will be a competition in 2005. and as for the homegrown players, there are many that are playing in the french leagues.Plus we had one player in the Emerging Nations XIII(Luca Delan). Then we had the Franchini brothers come to Australia in October to play with the North Sydney Bears and represented Italy in the Ionio Cup fixture. On this trip they learned some important skills which they now can show their peers back home.

And Italy is looking towards the future, we are sending a team out to the Youth World Cup in 2005....

taipan said:
robyalvaro said:

I am interested in where the info on the 2 massive sponsors for league in Russia was made. If it is true great for the game,can you provide source ?

yeah im searching for it at the moment....it should be on rleague.com, it was on the news headlines page a couple of months ago, i know its not the most reliable site but it basically said that the president of the Russian club Locomotiv, invited a few of his business partners to one of their games, and they were impressed with the product of league and were considering supporting the code.

screeny

Bench
Robbyalvaro,

You're obvioulsy clued up on all things Italia RL. What are the clubs that play in the domestic comp in Italy? Are they union clubs? What were the results etc and what were the three home int'ls they played in Italy?

I've heard nowt but it'd be great if this was all happening on the sly.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

carlnz

Bench
I think if you dont have a team at the U16 World Cup then you shouldnt be allowed at the 2008 World CUp

Latest posts