What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11:00am Press Conference

ibeme

First Grade
Apparently the Bulldogs are having a press conference at 11:00am today (Monday).

Dogaholic

First Grade
Mortimer resigns

22 March 2004

Bulldogs chief Steve Mortimer today resigned from the National Rugby League club.

Mortimer also resigned as director of the club in the wake of the recent sex scandal.

He said: "The last few weeks have been traumatic and gut-wrenching for all concerned, but now is the time for healing, and for those who genuinely care about the club to turn their attention and energy to rebuilding it."

Club chairman George Peponis acknowledged Mortimer's contribution to the club over more than two decades.

"I would like to acknowledge Steve's integrity, his leadership and his honesty," Peponis said.

"He is taking himself off the field so that the Bulldogs can go forward."

http://www.nrl.com/news.cfm?ID=8121

Very bad news. He has been a shining light in recent years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Poor old Fox Sports can't get the name right

Toovey quits Dogs
March 22, 2004

STEVE MORTIMER today quit his position as CEO of the troubled Canterbury Bulldogs

Foz

Bench
I think this is a sad day for your club.
Mortimer has always had his heart in the right place.
IMO he has done a great job under the present circumstances.
I cant believe people in the media bagged him for the way the Dogs have handled things. What else could he have done?
One thing I know is whoever replaces him won't be as good a representative for your club.
Steve Mortimer can hold his head high.

ibeme

First Grade
It'd be nice if more people could take a realistic view such as yourself foz. I don't think too many people are equipped or qualified to deal with circumstances like this, and I don't think anybody is an expert in this case.

It'd be interesting to see how the knockers would go if they were in his position.

I think he's put his hand up to say that he wasn't up to the job, which is fair enough under the circumstances, but I don't know who would be up to the job

ozzie

Bench
I feel for the supporters of the club - Turvey was a great player and had the intee of the club at heart...I understand what most loyal Canterbury supporters are going through - but you've been hurt by minority supporters, a club board full of decite,liars, cheats and now this...

But you guys and gals should hold your heads up high,,I for one say "you didn't have anything to do with it" - keep supporting your team, it'll all work out eventually. Maybe its for the best..you still have a good football team

Moffo

Referee
I guess i've never hid my feelings of Turvey as an administrator

He did try hard in difficult circumstances. I admire the effort he put in, make no mistake

But also make no mistake, he is not the guy that is going to clean up the club. He had way to many buddy buddy links and from what i saw, did not have the authorative edge that a leader needs at a footy club

Whilst its sad to see such a tireless worker go out like this, i hope gives us the opportunity to plan for the future

Cheers,
Moffo

The Godfather

Juniors
There was no option left for Turvey.
The club needs a frest start with someone who was not at the club if they are going to have any hope of building the confidence back with the community.

Need to go through the pain now, but hope the team keeps playing good footy.

Jess

Juniors
It's sad to seem him resign but really...with some of the stuff that's been going on there's something wrong. And if it's broken it needs fixing. Moffo's right, he doesn't have enough strong authority over the players and the rest of the club. There needs to be a change and I think he probably made the right choice to step down. Remember, he only took the job on as an emergency 18 months ago...

Underdog

Juniors
It's sad to see Turvey go. His heart was in the right place.

Who do you think they'll replace him with? Paul Dunn?

JK

I wouldn't mind Dunny but surely there is someone we get who will bring who has respect and is admired for honesty and integrity?

Hmmm...

ibeme

First Grade
The Godfather said:
John Quayle ?

That's an interesting choice, but isn't he on some international sporting committee at the moment? Might even have something to do with the Olympics

Latest posts