What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 rounds to go.....

jed

First Grade
OK guys, so there's 11 rounds to go, and not too many games that you'd expect us to win at the moment. Still to come, we have Cowboys (twice), Panthers, Storm, Eels (twice), Warriors, Broncos, Tigers, Bunnies & Sea Eagles. The way we've played lately, I'm not expecting us to be getting the points many more times.

So what should we do for the rest of the year?

Should we cut our losses, write off the first 15 rounds as a dud, and start building a team for Season 2006. Send out a team each week, not with the point of necessarily winning the game, but in an attempt to blood some of the youngsters that will carry the side forward next year. Guys like Carney, Milne, Campese, Zillman, Raston, Miller, Ale, Goodwin, Hinchcliff - guys that will benefit from the experience of playing first grade against competitive sides.

Or should we adopt a "never say die" attitude, never give in, and keep on trying to make the finals - theoretically speaking, if we make the 8, anything's possible. Injuries and suspensions have hit us hard this season, although that can't be relied on as the main reason for our form slump, especially as all clubs are subjected to injuries through the season. Clubs have a responsibility to stock the ranks with players that are capable of stepping up when needed. Clearly, despite the players efforts, this hasn't been the case.

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I think you pick your best 17 players every week (or who you consider to be the best 17, at least)

I think every game should be important regardless of how it impacts on the ladder, it matters to the fans and should matter to the players. I think many of the guys you suggested deserve a run in FG, but this is due solely of their football ability in relation to the other guys in the squad.

ausraider

Juniors
jed said:
OK guys, so there's 11 rounds to go, and not too many games that you'd expect us to win at the moment. Still to come, we have Cowboys (twice), Panthers, Storm, Eels (twice), Warriors, Broncos, Tigers, Bunnies & Sea Eagles. The way we've played lately, I'm not expecting us to be getting the points many more times.

Should we cut our losses, write off the first 15 rounds as a dud, and start building a team for Season 2006. Send out a team each week, not with the point of necessarily winning the game, but in an attempt to blood some of the youngsters that will carry the side forward next year. Guys like Carney, Milne, Campese, Zillman, Raston, Miller, Ale, Goodwin, Hinchcliff - guys that will benefit from the experience of playing first grade against competitive sides.

Or should we adopt a "never say die" attitude, never give in, and keep on trying to make the finals - theoretically speaking, if we make the 8, anything's possible. Injuries and suspensions have hit us hard this season, although that can't be relied on as the main reason for our form slump, especially as all clubs are subjected to injuries through the season. Clubs have a responsibility to stock the ranks with players that are capable of stepping up when needed. Clearly, despite the players efforts, this hasn't been the case.

I am all for blooding the players for the future.I think just tryng to be in the 8 with one dimensional plays like ours is waste of time.The only good finals football I remember raiders played in was a 1 point loss to the Warriors in 03.Apart from that its really been pathetic.I can't see anything wrong with the players we have, at the end of the day coach makes a huge difference and the one we got is not the right one.After Mal I thought this guy cannot be worse but as the seasons pass one after another I am slowly but surely rate him in negative territory.Every team goes in a match with a game plan,but raiders can't even vaguely remember when I saw that.Give young players ago and punt the coach. Boxhead head coach with Allan Langer as assistant.

thickos

First Grade
jed said:

Fair post Jed, it's a difficult one.

I think we have to have a bit of both to be honest. I wouldn't call it cutting our losses in terms of giving the kids we have at the club a go, but they do definitely need to be blooded for 2006. The question is will they get a go?

So far this season we've used a lot of players but only Ale has made his FG debut this year. Everyone else we have used got blooded last season, which has worked out well for us this year - Rothery, Miller, Chalk, Kahler, Campo, Carney etc have had the taste for first grade over a few seasons now. So that bodes well. But the next generation needs a go.

We really need to get the dead wood out and get these youngsters into the team, while still remaining competitive. With Schif, Woolford, Smith (when back), Withers, Croker, Adamson (when back) the experience and class is there in key positions. They should be able to wean a few newbies into the side.

Guys I'd like to see get a run before the year is out.

David Milne
Willie Raston
Ryan Hinchcliffe
William Zillman

A very optimistic list, I know. Steamboat Willie must be close to selection, he's been named on an extended bench now. I say drop back big Williams for Raston, give the kid a taste of the big time.

David Milne is a gun, anyone who has seen him play would know that. Robertson is a deadset waste of space, he's been nothing but mediocre in over 50 first grade games now - IMO he's filling a spot that should be for someone else. While Chalk and Phil are out give someone new a go. We know what Robbo can do and that is not much.

William Zillman I'd love to see get a run, very much the Mark McLinden style of player. I'm a big fan of a three forward/one half bench, I'd love to see him come in and play a roving style role (when Smith is back so the pressure is off). We're the least creative team in the comp so it can't hurt to give him a go.

Hinchcliffe probably won't get a go as he is now playing hooker, but he seems a pretty good prospect and could easily shift back to second row.

All that said... we can't give up on Season 2005 yet (even though my MSN name suggests we're finished!)... with Smith back next week and us on the fringe of the eight, we can't afford to throw away games purely for 'building purposes.' We can build a team for 2006 while still remaining competitive. Never give up, never say die, let's make the finals and see what happens from there. If Smith stays fit I will not be without hope.

That said, a contingency plan needs to be created when he is gone. We are deadset struggling without him and it is a massive worry.

Raider Ultra

Bench
You have to play your best team every week. What sort of confidence building is it for younger players when you're getting smashed up every week. Look at Carney, his confidence was shattered.

thickos

First Grade
That's true Ultra, but this is not our best team ATM. Even with the injury crisis we can name a better 17.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I recon blood the rookies, but over emphisis that we dont expect miricles, no pressure what so ever, if we get smashed, fine so be it, name the same blokes the following week and let them redeem themselves

hotdogs

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
I recon blood the rookies, but over emphisis that we dont expect miricles, no pressure what so ever, if we get smashed, fine so be it, name the same blokes the following week and let them redeem themselves
Well don't you think thats what they're doing with the likes of Williams, yes he may have not gone well last week, but elliott is showing confidence in him and giving him another go this week. I watch him playing or cronulla last year, and remember the game he played against us, which if i remember rightly he did smash our forwards and took their team forward. Cronulla used him properly, and i think elliott was going to do the last week until everything went wrong. I agree with the others you can only blood the young ones a couple at a time so they can get confidence and guidence on the field from the older blokes. I'm sure if you ask the yougsters they'd prefer some oldies to do some sort of leading. You have to blood a few at a time so they can get confidence from their performances.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Williams tore us appart last year, but Elliot knows how to use Williams, he is very good with forwards, nothing else but he knows what he is doing with forward, but last week as you elluded to he couldnt due to injury... but in saying that im confident that if he plays that poorly this week elliot will weilded the axe shattering yet another mans confidence