What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#12/15

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Does it matter? fraud is fraud. If we have inflated invoices to pay players then regardless of the amount that is a serious offence. It doesn't matter how much it was for.

You're right though, we haven't actually seen an invoice yet, but the point of the notice was to tell us what they are proposing to punish us for, so we can mount a defence. The evidence must be made available to us in the process of defending the allegations.

Is stealing $100 the same as stealing $1million ? It is still stealing but is the punishment the same ?

emjaycee

Coach
Yes it is, but let's see details of it ?

The NRL could easily leak details of it and it would easily put the public / fans against the eels board giving them no option to stand down.

But as there are no details released yet we don't know how serious it is. Was it a $10k inflated invoice on a one off occasion or several ? Is there evidence ?

There was a report in mid-March that a company called Zibara Clothing Company allegedly received one payment of between $15,000-$20,000 in 2014 despite no goods or services being provided in exchange for the money and that a someone in the club told one of the club?s clothing suppliers to issue inflated invoices totalling more than $50,000.

source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/58bccec87adebed5487dac13c209ac0d

If the NRL have evidence of this then it would support them including this as part of the breach wouldn't it?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There was a report in mid-March that a company called Zibara Clothing Company allegedly received one payment of between $15,000-$20,000 in 2014 despite no goods or services being provided in exchange for the money and that a someone in the club told one of the club’s clothing suppliers to issue inflated invoices totalling more than $50,000.

source: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s/news-story/58bccec87adebed5487dac13c209ac0d

If the NRL have evidence of this then it would support them including this as part of the breach wouldn't it?

Yes, I agree it doesn't sound good at all. But as we saw with the Semi matter the full story was not reported.

So which player did Zibara Clothing offer a TPA too?

Looks like Daniel Harrison had a TPA with them

Last edited:

ash411

Bench
Is stealing $100 the same as stealing $1million ? It is still stealing but is the punishment the same ?

We're talking about fraud, not theft. Very very different offences.

But you're right in essence, you generally are punished more harshly when the amount in question is higher, but it doesn't change the offence, fraud is about the deception, not necessarily what you gained from that deception. i.e. it's fraud if I fraudulently obtained a house, and it's still fraud if I fraudulently obtained a mars bar.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

But you're right in essence, you generally are punished more harshly when the amount in question is higher, but it doesn't change the offence, fraud is about the deception, not necessarily what you gained from that deception. i.e. it's fraud if I fraudulently obtained a house, and it's still fraud if I fraudulently obtained a mars bar.

It's also fraud if you bang a groupie by pretending to be Moghseen Jadwat. But we've all done that.

Chipmunk

Coach

Whether you steal $1million or whether you attempt to steal $1 and end up getting nothing, the maximum penalty available is still the same.

It's up to the discretion of the judge on the penalty.

Chipmunk

Coach

As a former fraud investigator, fraud is essentially just theft by deception. You also don't have to have committed fraud (or theft for that matter) for the punishment to be the same. It's the same maximum penalty for attempt.

My former employer investigated someone who received no money, yet the person still enjoyed 9 months at Her Majesty's pleasure... It was all up to the discretion of the judge.

IFR33K

Coach
Can someone please remind me when Harrison last played for us? Also when was he last on our books??

Latest posts