What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#12/15

eels_fan

First Grade
I'm still with HJ on this one, it could work.

What im concerned about, and I didn't see this myself I'm going off another's word, apparently Choc was just on the news saying "if it will allow them to play for points, I will retire" and looking very sombre about having to do such a thing. My understanding is that for medical retirement to be accepted and insurance to cover cap payments, the injury must be career-ending in nature, no hope of a return to the field. If Choc has said he's doing it to help the club out, it makes that decision very murky. It makes it sound like he's giving in to help the club, when he himself doesn't want to retire. Or at the very least it appears that it's not a case of him having to retire at this point. I don't see the NRL or Insurance provider viewing that favourably for us..

Noise

Coach
I'm still with HJ on this one, it could work.

What im concerned about, and I didn't see this myself I'm going off another's word, apparently Choc was just on the news saying "if it will allow them to play for points, I will retire" and looking very sombre about having to do such a thing. My understanding is that for medical retirement to be accepted and insurance to cover cap payments, the injury must be career-ending in nature, no hope of a return to the field. If Choc has said he's doing it to help the club out, it makes that decision very murky. It makes it sound like he's giving in to help the club, when he himself doesn't want to retire. Or at the very least it appears that it's not a case of him having to retire at this point. I don't see the NRL or Insurance provider viewing that favourably for us..

Lots of players don't want to retire but have to due to injury. All we need is a medical clearance that his injury is career ending - and that looks like happening. Watmough's sad feelings won't come into it.

JYD

Juniors
Watmough's statement may make things harder with the insurer more than with the nrl.

eels_fan

First Grade
Lots of players don't want to retire but have to due to injury. All we need is a medical clearance that his injury is career ending - and that looks like happening. Watmough's sad feelings won't come into it.

True, but most players that Retire are not still owed over $2m in wages...

Insurance companies can be nasty pieces of work when it comes to big figures

Chipmunk

Coach
It is no Hail Mary.

The backdating will be automatic to the time of injury. I checked this again with people today who are more experienced than me regarding injury compensation and insurance.

If the injury is deemed career ending then any salary we have paid will be reimbursed. At this point the insurance company takes full legal responsibility for that money.

What this will mean is that at no point did we ever pay that money as part of a salary. What we actually did was cover the insurance payments during the process of the insurance investigation (hence the reimbursement).

This means that the money will be removed from our cap and...critically...we would never have actually paid it.

hence, and pay attention...we were never over the cap in 2016.

This will be the end of the story.

I have attempted to put feelers out to the Club but, as yet, no replies.

They cannot. Hence, we will have our points returned to us.

Your theory might be correct, but the only way that the NRL will give the 12 points back is if the matter is taken to court. You're delusional if you think the NRL will willing give the 12 points back. They're the ones making up their own rules as they go along, so unless it goes to court there will be no reprise.

Dibs

Bench
Your theory might be correct, but the only way that the NRL will give the 12 points back is if the matter is taken to court. You're delusional if you think the NRL will willing give the 12 points back. They're the ones making up their own rules as they go along, so unless it goes to court there will be no reprise.

I thought HJ said the nrl wouldn't but he believes the court will

eels_fan

First Grade

I was thinking HJ could just give Greenberg a call, outline his idea, and Greenberg would issue a press release to reinstate our points..

Of course it's going to have to go to court, but if the club gets legal advice that such a challenge has legal merit and a favourable verdict is likely, why would we not try?

Haven't they already said that it was for having a team over the cap? Thus no points until we're under. They'll look pretty silly if they change their reasons now.

They can change their reasons all they want. It will matter not. The court will throw out the new reasons without a second thought.

They have stated specifically that the points deduction is due to the salary cap. Any attempt at moving the goal posts will be ignored.

TheFrog

Coach

How much money is involved here? It seems to be around $1.5m. You need to understand insurance. When that amount is involved and given the circumstances of the claim they will delay and obfuscate every last inch of the way. It will take years and in all likelihood will have to be determined by a court.

You really think they are going accept liabilty within the next 7 days just so the Parramatta football club can get out of the shite it got itself into? You obviously do not understand how insurance works.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
How much money is involved here? It seems to be around $1.5m. You need to understand insurance. When that amount is involved and given the circumstances of the claim they will delay and obfuscate every last inch of the way. It will take years and in all likelihood will have to be determined by a court.

You really think they are going accept liabilty within the next 7 days just so the Parramatta football club can get out of the shite it got itself into? You obviously do not understand how insurance works.

It doesn't matter if it takes 20 years for the insurance to pay out. We just need the NRL medical officer to approve and to accept it

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hollywood you are correct. Watmough should not be included in our cap.

he hasn't retired yet so he is still on our wage bill as we speak and has been since November

thats a fair chunck of his wage bill right there

forward pass

Coach
They can change their reasons all they want. It will matter not. The court will throw out the new reasons without a second thought.

They have stated specifically that the points deduction is due to the salary cap. Any attempt at moving the goal posts will be ignored.

You would make an awesome board member HJ - being in complete denial just like they are.

forward pass

Coach
You guys are all missing the point. We did not know Watmough would cop an injury and retire. So we went into the season knowingly over the cap. That is all that matters. The end. Some of you are being delusional.

eels_fan

First Grade
You guys are all missing the point. We did not know Watmough would cop an injury and retire. So we went into the season knowingly over the cap. That is all that matters. The end. Some of you are being delusional.

Well we didn't go into the season knowing we'd be over, as we didn't Know the NRL was going to put our TPAs onto our cap...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Well we didn't go into the season knowing we'd be over, as we didn't Know the NRL was going to put our TPAs onto our cap...

which is irrelevant

we unknowingly f**ked up either way you look at it bit we f**ked up

exactly

it shows intent

Delusional is fun

All irrelevant.

The fact of the matter is that we will be salary cap compliant, whether by design or luck.

However, considering Watmough hasn't played for us since last, what, July???, there is every chance that this is not a February injury.

As such, if this is the case, and there were indications that it would be a significant injury, then what we did was simply take a calculated risk that the cards would fall this way, which they have.

That is all, however, irrelevant.

As soon as the clearance is given then it is an open and shut case.

Most people here are simply ignorant of how this works. Which is fine, but it doesn't change the facts, nor how this will play out in the courts.

forward pass

Coach
You can't backdate his retirement until last July. That is silly.

He trained the off-season because he intended to play.

Latest posts