What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'12 | R8 | Sat | Rabbitohs 20-16 Cowboys | ANZ

Round 8 result: Rabbitohs v Cowboys

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BDR

First Grade
There were two calls that I thought harsh - the penalty for offside from the tap restart that should have been held up and an offside penalty deep in their half which I didn't see anything wrong with. Hardly a game-changing bias, Souths just put the cue in the rack and thought they'd run away with it.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Well almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

The refereeing in the 2nd half was simply not down the middle. What sounded like booing for no reason was our fans getting the shits with the refs making them only go about 7.5m back. Not to mention half a dozen times we should have got a penalty for them taking about 3 hours to get off in the tackle. I thought that genius Harrigan was stamping it out this week.

I know everyone will say the above is an especially biased Souths fan whingeing about refs. But look at some of the past game threads. Even after our losses this year I didn't have a word to say about the refs, tonight we win and I'm having a go at them. I'm not Skeepe, I don't usually complain about reffing every f**ken game, but it had to be said tonight. Oh well, the refs artificially created the close game they wanted.

Moving on, with injured reinforcements to return in the coming weeks, if we start defending for 80 minutes the way we defended for the first 40, and we get a fair reffing performance, there won't be many teams beating us this season.

We finally have as many wins as losses. It feels like we've made up for the many winnable games we dropped in the first month. Now it's time to push on into the top 8.

Last edited:

innsaneink

Referee
I like to lol@souffs as much as the next guy but there were several occasions where Souffs deserved penalties and didn't get them... thought the penalties they conceded were fine.

It must be a real hoot going to a Souffs home game and having the crowd boo for the last 60 minutes of the game.

Anyway, Cowboys were dreadful in the opposition 20. Loads of chances but showed very, very little. 4/5 tips :fist:

It stunk, refs favoured the cows heavily.....Souths didnt have a penalty in the 2nd half iirc...Lyons is a f**kin hopeless ref

BunniesMan

Immortal
With all my frustration I almost forgot the bit of history created. Tonight was the 1000th game of competitive rugby league the South Sydney Rabbitohs have won in our long history. Hopefully the first thousand of many more.

BranVan3000

Coach
Also I must have missed something, but why did Cowboys get to kick for touch after they went to the video ref for that Taylor try attempt?

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
Also I must have missed something, but why did Cowboys get to kick for touch after they went to the video ref for that Taylor try attempt?

Taylor knocked on so 20 metre tap for the cows and if you find touch from the 20 instead of tapping you get the scrum feed. Not a play you see very often.

BDR

First Grade

It's part of the rules, you get a free kick from the 20 and if it bounces before it goes out you get a scrum feed from where the ball goes out.

It's rarely used but Thurston has done it a few times for us.

Apey

Staff member
What sounded like booing for no reason was our fans getting the shits with the refs making them only go about 7.5m back.

except they do it every game...

Not to mention half a dozen times we should have got a penalty for them taking about 3 hours to get off in the tackle.

Yeah, that's what I was referring to when Souths deserved more penalties... the 'possible comeback' refereeing performance.

you're allowed to kick for touch from 20m taps. you win a scrum if it doesn't go out on the full, but a penalty if it does... it's just essentially nobody does it any more, for whatever reason... too risky maybe?

edit: beaten to it, but this is why

also, relevant thread

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=336171

Last edited:

BranVan3000

Coach
except they do it every game...

There is normally an audible booing at the referees. Nice bit of background noise

But if they are genuinely making bad calls they will hear about it, and there were some shit calls made in that contest

That said, Cowboys forwards monstered our makeshift pack towards the end but I'm glad we put in a full defensive effort

innsaneink

Referee
Wow. You'd think most teams would take that option normally
Its why its called an optional re-start. Most times wingers are back but with teams like the cowboys, behind by watever it was, if they spread it wide with defending wingers back its risky for the defense

Big Pete

Referee
Yep, reffing evened up big time come the second half.

Great performance by the Rabbits. Cows just weren't with it early and didn't do enough to catch up.

innsaneink

Referee
Cowboys did win the penalty count 8 to 3.

I don't really think either side was favoured by the refs though, dodgy calls went both ways.

Think souths only got two penaltys, one in the first or 2nd min and then 17 mins when he took a shot to take it to 14 - 0...no more for 63 minutes

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's part of the rules, you get a free kick from the 20 and if it bounces before it goes out you get a scrum feed from where the ball goes out.

It's rarely used but Thurston has done it a few times for us.

Yep. It's the same as the ball going into touch (not on the full) from a kickoff or line dropout. The kicking team gets the scrum feed. Brett Finch is the past master at the tactic... :sarcasm:

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
Think souths only got two penaltys, one in the first or 2nd min and then 17 mins when he took a shot to take it to 14 - 0...no more for 63 minutes

We got 3 in the first 20 but it was all the Cows after that. Seriously if the cows couldn't come back with 8 in a row with how many times points come from penalties it would of been a huge concern for them, though it did help that all we did in the second half was play one out crap.

Charlie124

First Grade
Yep. It's the same as the ball going into touch (not on the full) from a kickoff or line dropout. The kicking team gets the scrum feed. Brett Finch is the past master at the tactic... :sarcasm:

It annoys me that more teams don't try this tactic from kickoffs, just smash it along the ground into touch and get the ball back. As long as it goes 10m it's yours, in fact you're more likely to get it from that than a short kickoff/regathering.

Apey

Staff member
It annoys me that more teams don't try this tactic from kickoffs, just smash it along the ground into touch and get the ball back. As long as it goes 10m it's yours, in fact you're more likely to get it from that than a short kickoff/regathering.

agreed. same with drop-outs to an extent, too. an added bonus is that you'd think it'd be harder for the defending team to successfully catch it than your typical floating kick.

BunniesMan

Immortal
12/13 now since the start of last round.

I'm on a hot streak.

What did I say at the start of the thread? Cowboys don't like Sydney, they are something like 4 wins from 20 games at ANZ. They haven't beaten us since 2009.

If people spent more time listening to BunniesMan, they'd have more correct tips.

Perfect round so far.

This is my last post for the night. Gotta head upto Bondi and then the Cross for my mates 21st. Gunna party hard with the beautiful people, celebrating the birthday as well as our 1000th win and being 4-4.

See you all tomorrow.

Latest posts