What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'13 WC | Semi Final | Australia 64-0 Fiji | Wembley

Semi Final: AUS v FIJ

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Springs

First Grade
The reason Fiji got flogged was because they were shit, the worst I've ever seen them. We know they can stick with the big teams to an extent as seen against Australia and England in the pool stage. They were 6-all with England at HT. Now I don't think Australia was that good last night to have put 30+ on England before halftime like they did with Fiji, unless England played like absolute shit.

I thought USA last week and Ireland the week before were better than Fiji yesterday, they got flogged and have nowhere near the talent of Fiji. Australia was running through them at will.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The game survived St. George winning 11 in a row so I'm not sure what you're point is here.

It did, but the NSWRL didn't bring in a salary cap in 1990 for fun. Nor do almost all professional sporting leagues around the world employ them for fun. The idea is to separate economic dominance from sporting dominance.

A salary cap won't work on the international stage for obvious reasons but if some sort of measure that edges toward separating economic dominance from sporting dominance can be found it would do wonders and would possibly allow league to leapfrog union.

Springs

First Grade
What? Why are people all of the sudden coming up with the bullshit? How the hell could you separate Australia's 'economic dominance' from their sporting dominance? Why would you need to?

Australia is one of the best sporting countries in the world. With a relatively small population we've had top of the world teams in both rugby codes and cricket, as well as many Olympic champions. Why exactly do we need to be held back?

I think if the Wallabies were able to pick from both rugby codes we'd have a similar dominance.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Ensuring equal player payments for internationals would be a good start. Split match profits between all 36+ players on both sides. So, so easy.

If the Big 3's players start to contract mystery illnesses, tough luck, find others that are willing to step up and represent their country.

Tone83

Juniors
I think if the Wallabies were able to pick from both rugby codes we'd have a similar dominance.
No lie there.

I'm amazed to see how dominant Folau is on the wallabies, I don't think he was ever the best player on the field in league, even as a junior, he was just always one of the better players. On the wallabies he has immediately become their main man, their anchor, the head honcho. By far the best player out there who they just rely on totally, on offense and defense. He's like michael jordan on the bulls if he never had scottie pippen.

What this shows is the gap in talent between union and league in australia. If we only ever had one rugby code all those great league players would be on the wallabies, rather than just folau, and the wallabies would no doubt be the best team in the world, only rivalled by the all blacks and ONLY because they too would have access to league players.

BunniesMan

Immortal
There should be a Union League merger. Get rid of domestic Union. That would increase the depth of the NRL, NSW cup and Qld Cup. But play Union internationally. Imagine the Kangaroos backline destroying the All Blacks.

Tone83

Juniors
There should be a Union League merger. Get rid of domestic Union. That would increase the depth of the NRL, NSW cup and Qld Cup. But play Union internationally. Imagine the Kangaroos backline destroying the All Blacks.
I agree, and have had similar thoughts. No one cares about domestic union, and although this WC has been very charming and fun, no one really cares about international league.

Ofcourse it's never going to happen, the two codes are staunch rivals, but it would be so great if, when the rugby WC rolled around, if they could select from the pool of all rugby sports.

Folau makes rugby players look like children, imagine what inglis would do? Imagine hayne, thurston and cherry evans. The all blacks would shit bricks.

Rugby knows league has great players, dramatically superior to what they have, maybe instead of trying to poach them some kind of olive branch should be extended between the codes for the good of australia. We can dream.

Joker's Wild

Coach
"for the good of Australia" lol

Play RL domestically then switch to Union internationally? Ive never read a more geniused suggestion on these forums, and that includes SWR ramblings about "Topball"

Jeezus Christ

Springs

First Grade
I agree, and have had similar thoughts. No one cares about domestic union, and although this WC has been very charming and fun, no one really cares about international league.

Ofcourse it's never going to happen, the two codes are staunch rivals, but it would be so great if, when the rugby WC rolled around, if they could select from the pool of all rugby sports.

Folau makes rugby players look like children, imagine what inglis would do? Imagine hayne, thurston and cherry evans. The all blacks would shit bricks.

Rugby knows league has great players, dramatically superior to what they have, maybe instead of trying to poach them some kind of olive branch should be extended between the codes for the good of australia. We can dream.

So the 385,000 people that have attended and the millions that have watched on TV (including those in the south in the early hours) don't really care?

Latest posts