What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14 halfbacks in 8 years- PJ and Tim Smith to battle it out

Article in the Tele:

Brian Said that we have a few options for halfback but the 2 main contenders were PJ and Tim Smith. And that will be decided on trial and basically preseason form

Blake Green was a conteder as well but "was in the wings" or something like that, I think Brian reckons he still too young but might get a crack at it.

PJ said that he considers himself a hooker and that he plays his best footy there or off the bench but he conceeded he play a couple of games at half.

Grant Mitchell said that Parra are still hopefull of signing Leulaui but it depended on the Warriors to geta realease.

Brian also said that he did not push Witt out all he told him was that he still may have to fight for his spot and still work hard on his game if he wanted to play 1st grade, Witt then said he wanted to go Manly.

Utey

Coach
Thankyou. Witt cant beat real class so he has to go to Manly. Tim Smith will win one would think if he can produce his best footy form of his life. PJ knows he is an impact hooker. Why waste his ability at half. We all want Smith to have a shot this is it.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well it's quite easy isn't it???...from what I've heard in the grapevine Witt was offered a motza to join Manly and he doesn't even have to battle for his spot! it's just laughable :lol:

I want see Morris, Marsh, Green, Smith and Peranara compete for that 1 spot and if Leulaui signs, he can join the race as well!!

Utey

Coach
Hmm that just makes it more intersting when you say all them players are in the mix for the #7. Theres a few combinations which I would like to see given a go.
6 Perenara
7 Smith

6 Morris
7 Smith

Green will be in the mix next year I think. A little to young atm.

strider

Post Whore
Interesting eh?....PJ Marsh leaves Parra cos he wants more opportunities (at the time, he's providing great impact off the bench).....he then returns to Parra and states that he plays his best footy at hooker or off the bench.....maybe a career threatening injury will make you see the light.

Utey

Coach
PJ knows his time is limited and he will enjoy every minute of the game. He would make a good half but mate off the bench is where he belongs. He creates so much around the rucks and would be perfect for a replacement with Riddell. It would be very hard to stage a game plan against us in the fact that Riddell busts up the middle whilst PJ has a scoot type game. Its going to create a hell of a lot of opportunities in the middle and aid our go forward.

Stagger eel

Staff member
PJ knows his time is limited and he will enjoy every minute of the game. He would make a good half but mate off the bench is where he belongs. He creates so much around the rucks and would be perfect for a replacement with Riddell. It would be very hard to stage a game plan against us in the fact that Riddell busts up the middle whilst PJ has a scoot type game. Its going to create a hell of a lot of opportunities in the middle and aid our go forward.

well said!

but I honestly believe he has the game to be a very good half, time will tell.

strider

Post Whore
I think the stage is set for Tim Smith to prove himself a quality 1/2 this off-season....if he works hard at training and fires up for some trials I reckon he's gotta be a good chance at taking the starting half role.

Its all up to him - all he's gotta do prove that he is keen and capable.

Utey

Coach
He does have a great game and half would suit him. But Iam killing to see Smith crack it at top grade. We are finally blooding some of OUR juniors and to see them sucessful would mean a lot. Saying that 15 out of 25 are juniors shuts up a lot of fans saying we dont use our junior base. Smith is seeing his mistakes and is attempting to rectify them.

PJ is no halfback he even admitted this himself his favourit posy is at HOOKER or off the bench. PJ has an excellent running game but organising a team and directing he has failed at. His position is at Hooker or off the bench. From what I have seen of young Smith he has the attributes to make it, we just have to be patient. I would not be surprised if PJ starts the 1st few games at half and the Tim Smith comes in around round 4-5.

Utey

Coach
strider said:
I think the stage is set for Tim Smith to prove himself a quality 1/2 this off-season....if he works hard at training and fires up for some trials I reckon he's gotta be a good chance at taking the starting half role.

Its all up to him - all he's gotta do prove that he is keen and capable.

Well Said and I think he needs to play exceptional to claim that spot. Theres going to be a battle for the 6 and 7 jumper which means form will come into it. We all know what Witt was capable of but he never showed that this year. We cant live on the fact that we KNOW what a player like Dykes was capable of but he couldnt relive that form. We need to see that form.

Stagger eel

Staff member
He does have a great game and half would suit him. But Iam killing to see Smith crack it at top grade. We are finally blooding some of OUR juniors and to see them sucessful would mean a lot. Saying that 15 out of 25 are juniors shuts up a lot of fans saying we dont use our junior base. Smith is seeing his mistakes and is attempting to rectify them.

well he has no choice ;-) it's a make or break year for young Brian :)

strider

Post Whore
Smith is seeing his mistakes and is attempting to rectify them.

I don't know if its necessarily a case of him seeing his mistakes - probably more that Smithy doesn't believe in putting kids in early - and he doesn't budge from that stance.

Whether thats a good stance or not is another arguement....in current day footy the kids run away if they don't get their chance early - no one wants to wait and there will be some other club willing to throw some $s your way.

Stagger eel

Staff member
strider said:
Smith is seeing his mistakes and is attempting to rectify them.

I don't know if its necessarily a case of him seeing his mistakes - probably more that Smithy doesn't believe in putting kids in early - and he doesn't budge from that stance.

Whether thats a good stance or not is another arguement....in current day footy the kids run away if they don't get their chance early - no one wants to wait and there will be some other club willing to throw some $s your way.

well that's what happened to Witt!! he got from Flegg to firsts in three months due to the injury toll we had and his game still hadn't developed beyond Premier league.

Thats true the young guys of today are not willing to wait and why should they when other clubs are offering more money and a chance. We don't need Thomas Leulaui to come to our club or we will be putting in Jeopardy Blak Greens and Tim Smiths futures at our club. Both are off contract this year and both are that good.

Blake Green is a very mature player for his age.

Utey

Coach
By including 15 juniors into the inital squad I belive his ready to really blood a few of them. If Smith was continually like that I wouldnt mind him carrying on if we achieved sucess. Our post 2001 form has been poor but it was heartbreak and that feeling is still in the players and in the club. Smith has been limited to who he can play because blooding some players would have meant bringing them into a losing team. I agree that the time to blood juniors is round 1 and I think we will definately see that in 05'.

Utey

Coach
We dont need Leulaui. All he will do is bring conjecture into the sqaud by limiting the opportunities which Smith and Green have. We cant let either go becuase both are stars of the future IMHO

Eelementary

Post Whore
Can you imagine next year?

9. Riddell

14. Marsh

That sort of imapct will be *drool*...

I can't even describe it! These two working together are match winners! BIG MATCH winners!