What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

14 halfbacks in 8 years- PJ and Tim Smith to battle it out

True EEL

Bench
Unreal V said:
2005 is going to be a hard year, the team will not have 2004 as a base to build on and Brian Smith will start the experiment in the halves all over again. I think it was pretty obvious to all that last years halves should have been Witt and Dykes with Dykes as 5/8. Just imagine the team in 2005 after a year with the same halves; would have been good to see.

Now Smith has choices and going by past years he should get this right by about round 18; Ah but all too late.

Who ever he picks I just hope that he sticks with them, even if they don't gel in the begining. The new guys will need time.

The one big advantage this year will be that the likes of Marsh and Riddell will be there to take some of the pressure off the halves, guys that can create something from nothing.

I hope our halves are Morris at 5/8 and Tim Smith at 1/2.

Our other big asset for next year is Hindmarsh as an attacking weapon given that Morrisson will pair with him and share the work load.

On reflection maybe next year won't be that hard.

some more good calls there unreal V :D well done

Eelementary

Post Whore
Quite simply our best team for nexy year is:

6. Morris - good kicking game, good defence, nice running game, nice passing. Good kanck for playmaking

7. Smith/Green - either one, depending on who is more ready. But I too would have thought that getting rid of Witt would pave the way for these talented youngsters

9. Riddell - DUH!

14. Marsh - having him off the bench for Riddell after Riddell has already devastated the opposition with his great game will do wonders.

Realistically, if Smith and Green are good, they should have no problems. I'm not expecting miracles from round 1, but we'll have an excellent dummy half combination, a strong forward pack and some quality backs. Experienced players like Riddell, Marsh and Morris alleviating the pressure from Smith/Green would help too.

Put it this way - Joe Williams almost won games for Souths from his sheer ability. Souths had a weak forward pack and nothing special at dummy half this year. If Smith and Green are good, they will shine behind our pack next year.

Utey

Coach
I dont think its that bad. Lets face it Smith was better than Witt defensively. The defence will come as he spends more time in FG. Green wont get there this year. Maybe next year.

bartman

Immortal
I will assume BS still believes Wags is first choice five-eighth until I hear of him saying otherwise!

So I'm preparing myself to see him name the following for Round 1:
6. Wags
7. Morris
9. Riddell
14. Marsh

It's not too bad really - IF the props fire and lay the platform!!

I'm sure second row will be fine :D, and there's a range of unpredictable options in the backline to let loose if the team is going forward.

Let's go you Eels :clap:

Latest posts