What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'15 | R1 | Fri | PAR 42-12 MAN | Pirtek

Round 1: Eels v Sea Eagles

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THE CHAMP

First Grade
True. However we may not have Hopoate. So Norman could play fullback. And even if we do retain Hoppa, Norman could still play fullback and Hoppa back to the centres. TBH if Foran is keen I say get him and worry about the other three later. He's better than them.

Like I said though, I think it'll be tough now

don't even think of playing Norman at full back.
he went okay last night but a couple of bad defensive f**k ups

Valheru

Coach
Wow, it could really be a long year for Manly. Everything about that performance last night was the opposite of who they have been the last 10 years. They were soft all over the park and their defence was disastrous at times.

Full credit to Parra for showing up and winning but I reckon most teams would have beat manly last night.

Noa

First Grade
If the Storm could have Arthur or Maguire back I'd take Arthur and I wouldn't even think about it.

As I've said before best young coach in the game.

Iafeta

Referee
Worrying signs for Manly. Ballin aside, who from that Manly forward pack would make the starting 13 of other sides? Looks pretty ordinary.

Agreed. They've always had a soldier like forward pack, nothing special, but good triers. Then you look at their team last night and Feleti Mateo, who was playing a bit of reserve grade for the Warriors last year, is in their starting line up, for Manly thats a sign of very ordinary depth in their forwards. If I was them, with DCE gone, I'd be focusing on getting a couple of young forwards. I mean, Brenton Lawrence has been talked up by some as a potential rep option, the only reason he seems ok is because the rest of the pack around him are absolute plodders.

Based on what they served up last night, looks like it is going to be a long season for Manly.

In hindsight looks like letting Watmough and Glenn Stewart go to try and re-sign DCE and Foran is going to be a major fail I'm afraid. More so because of the talk about grumblings behind closed doors about DCE.

Rabbits20

Immortal
One player doesn't represent the culture. You'd be kidding yourself given how the players were offering pay cuts themselves to keep the squad together. That logic would mean that Souths' culture would be bad if they moved players about to keep Inglis.

Anwyays, f**king amazing performance from Parramatta. Hopefully with no distractions and a fit squad they can be a top 8 mainstay. It's always good to see them in the top half and the game always seems to benefit with clubs like them there. The attacking flair was so much fun to watch and the effort on the line was outstanding.

As for Manly, well, a woeful pack isn't going to get them anywhere. DCE off to the Titans, you would hope they offered him a way out now so they don't have to worry about it. Hope for their sake they retain Foran although him being at Parra could make them anything.

The players at Manly had lots of in fighting and we all know that.

Souths have moved players on to keep our top players and there is no disharmony under Madge.

The salary cap always catches up with teams as we all know.

Foran could stay at Manly now but I reckon he won't due to the bad culture there. I reckon B. Stewart will want out too.

DCE stuffed Manly over as they got rid of players so they could keep him.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Adjust your expectations, Manly fans. With Foran gone, Cherry on the outer and a forward pack that is dysfunctional, you guys are in for a tough ride.

As for Parra, very well played. Radradra is a freakshow

You should be prepared for a tough ride too.

Brisbane will most likely finish 9th.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Worrying times for the Eagles. The club needs to respond and do so hard.

Parra played great. Kudos.

A few key players to come back for us and some hard questions to be asked.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Worrying times for the Eagles. The club needs to respond and do so hard.

Parra played great. Kudos.

A few key players to come back for us and some hard questions to be asked.

Finally a decent post from you.

For once you're posting sensibly.

Good to see for a change.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
We were out played. Put simply. A couple of injuries didn't help, but we were going to get run down anyway I think. Suggestions that this is a long season are way too early.

As for the suggestions we should have kept Watmough and Stewart over Foran & DCE, I think you are forgetting the age here. It was time to move them on. The mistake was putting too many eggs in the basket to retain both, rather than just one of the two players.

Any team that ties up 2 top range players at that price range, is never going to have a decent team around them. I always thought we needed to pick one. And one only. Neither them kick goals. They are both great players, but I'm a believer in an even spread of talent across the team.

The whole DCE thing has been a mess. We are better off moving on without him. I don't personally know anything about him, other than the reports of the disharmony he has created in our team. That's the thing about the success we have achieved, it has been the close nature of the team that created the success. It always has at the club.

I'm not hopeful of retaining Foran. I hope we do. He has a leadership about him. While his game isn't always what I would expect of a 5/8, he plays hard and puts his body on the line. If we lose both, I think Lyon will need to shift to 5/8. (I'm concerned about his speed anyway out wide). Hiku could probably cover centre and we hunt for a halfback, at least one big prop and a couple of quality second rowers.

BranVan3000

Coach
If the Storm could have Arthur or Maguire back I'd take Arthur and I wouldn't even think about it.

As I've said before best young coach in the game.

You'd take a guy who hasn't even made the top 8 over a guy who had never missed top 4 and has won both Super league and NRL premierships?

A2_tha_MFK

Juniors
We were out played. Put simply. A couple of injuries didn't help, but we were going to get run down anyway I think. Suggestions that this is a long season are way too early.

As for the suggestions we should have kept Watmough and Stewart over Foran & DCE, I think you are forgetting the age here. It was time to move them on. The mistake was putting too many eggs in the basket to retain both, rather than just one of the two players.

Any team that ties up 2 top range players at that price range, is never going to have a decent team around them. I always thought we needed to pick one. And one only. Neither them kick goals. They are both great players, but I'm a believer in an even spread of talent across the team.

The whole DCE thing has been a mess. We are better off moving on without him. I don't personally know anything about him, other than the reports of the disharmony he has created in our team. That's the thing about the success we have achieved, it has been the close nature of the team that created the success. It always has at the club.

I'm not hopeful of retaining Foran. I hope we do. He has a leadership about him. While his game isn't always what I would expect of a 5/8, he plays hard and puts his body on the line. If we lose both, I think Lyon will need to shift to 5/8. (I'm concerned about his speed anyway out wide). Hiku could probably cover centre and we hunt for a halfback, at least one big prop and a couple of quality second rowers.

Hey mate,

I'm with you on most of this but! I think we are unfortunately in for a f**king long season. I know it's only game 1. But even last season, I thought we played way above our weight. And by weight I mean front rowers!! Manly used to be known for muscle, and bullying other teams. If we got into trouble, everyone would muscle up and bully our way back into the game. Since losing players like Rose, King, Kite, to name a few. We just haven't replaced them with big guys that can dominate. Look at the teams currently succeeding. They are all massive teams. You can have as many DCE's and Foran's in a team is you like. But if you don't have guy's making meters and putting them in holes, you play most of the game in your own half. I can see us having a few years of bottom eight unfortunately.

Noa

First Grade
You'd take a guy who hasn't even made the top 8 over a guy who had never missed top 4 and has won both Super league and NRL premierships?

Yep.

I'm more then familiar with both from their time at the Storm and I rate Arthur higher.

I'm more confident Arthur could at least do the same job at South's then I am of Maguire replicating what Brad has done at Parra.

And at the end of the day I prefer Arthur's coaching philosophy more then Maguires.

Latest posts