What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'15 | R1 | Sat | NEW 24-14 WAR | Hunter

Round 1: Knights v Warriors

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I think the Warriors fans should be a bit more hopeful about this one. Objectively, their squad shits all over Newcastle.

To be fair, when does that ever count for anything when the Warriors are involved?

We generally hope for the best, expect the worst, and then just see which side turns up on the day.

Swarzey

Bench
This is either going to be an excellent game that shows what both teams could do this season with junior talent showing what they're capable of, older players showing they've still got it and players like Johnson and Mullen showing this will finally be the year they play at their best for the majority of the season...

...or the first candidate for worst game of the season.

I'm expecting the latter.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
A talented squad has never exactly been the main worry for warriors fans

True but surely something has to give eventually and that discrepancy in the squads will be the difference. The Warriors need a serious attitude adjustment if their entire justification for losing a game like this is because it's an away game.

DIMEAST

Juniors
I think we're a good chance of jagging a round 1 win here, the Knights still have a really good squad though imo.

I'll try predict our team:

1. Sam Tomkins
2. Tuimoala Lolohea
3. Konrad Hurrell
4. Solomone Kata
5. Manu Vatuvei
6. Chad Townsend
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Jacob Lillyman
9. Nathan Friend
10. Suaia Matagi
11. Ryan Hoffman
12. Bodene Thompson
13. Simon Mannering

14. Thomas Leuluai
15. Ben Henry
16. Ben Matulino
17. Sam Rapira

18. Sam Lisone

perverse

Referee
I'm pretty surprised that people consider our squad so weak. I'll concede we're missing 1 established front rower, but I'd love to hear about where all these supposed weaknesses in our squad are. We have the best backline depth in the comp as far as I can see... how many teams have an 18 year old that's played for Australia that might not get a run in round 1?

If our forwards can lay a real platform this year, I think you're all in for a bit of a shock - or a treat if you enjoy watching entertaining football.

We only lost one player from last year that was worth feeding - Cuthbertson - and have added Tariq Sims and Stockwell to the picture... Korbin Sims is a year older and looking as big or bigger than his brother this year. There's a lot to like about our team - where we will falter will be if there are injuries in the front row.

I can't see how we're any chance of going worse than last year unless we have another bloke break his neck and more ownership troubles... it's been a long time since the Knights have enjoyed a drama-free off-season. I already consider this season a win if we can kick a ball in anger before something goes wrong off-field.

Noname36

First Grade
I'm pretty surprised that people consider our squad so weak. I'll concede we're missing 1 established front rower, but I'd love to hear about where all these supposed weaknesses in our squad are. We have the best backline depth in the comp as far as I can see... how many teams have an 18 year old that's played for Australia that might not get a run in round 1?

If our forwards can lay a real platform this year, I think you're all in for a bit of a shock - or a treat if you enjoy watching entertaining football.

We only lost one player from last year that was worth feeding - Cuthbertson - and have added Tariq Sims and Stockwell to the picture... Korbin Sims is a year older and looking as big or bigger than his brother this year. There's a lot to like about our team - where we will falter will be if there are injuries in the front row.

I can't see how we're any chance of going worse than last year unless we have another bloke break his neck and more ownership troubles... it's been a long time since the Knights have enjoyed a drama-free off-season. I already consider this season a win if we can kick a ball in anger before something goes wrong off-field.

We have a lack of experience problem at hooker, and like you said, we're short a big front rower. We hardly have a terrible all round squad though.

I couldn't care in the slightest if everyone thinks we're so weak. Last year we probably had the most horrific season that any club has ever had and we still managed to knock over quite a few of the top teams. That's enough to give me some confidence in the side's talent. Heck, I hope the other sides think we're so far below everyone else as well.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
We have a lack of experience problem at hooker, and like you said, we're short a big front rower. We hardly have a terrible all round squad though.

I couldn't care in the slightest if everyone thinks we're so weak. Last year we probably had the most horrific season that any club has ever had and we still managed to knock over quite a few of the top teams. That's enough to give me some confidence in the side's talent. Heck, I hope the other sides think we're so far below everyone else as well.

Thought you could have been talking about us for a second.

If the Warriors name the side they're expected to it could be one of the more potent backlines going around. Great backlines though don't do much if the forwards are going backward.

This will be an interesting clash I think.

Noname36

First Grade
Thought you could have been talking about us for a second.

If the Warriors name the side they're expected to it could be one of the more potent backlines going around. Great backlines though don't do much if the forwards are going backward.

This will be an interesting clash I think.

I can guarantee you the Warriors forwards won't go backwards against the Knights. I think your under 20s forwards would be bigger than our FG pack lol. The Knights only chance will be if they can go through the edges like they did the last time they played. That was a great game if I remember correctly. Both sides scored some really classy tries with freakish efforts from the wingers.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The Knights pack will need to tackle hard then run the Warriors pack ragged in defence with passes before the line and looking for second phase play. If they try to make metres by going one out up the middle they will be monstered

I think they Knights will be to much at home for an already mentioned slow starting Warriors side

Knights by 10 in a high scoring match

Very concerned about the Warriors forwards completely dominating our pack, I wish we had Tariq for this game. But I'm going with my heart and saying Knights by 8

Jobdog

Live Update Team
As Pervy said it's been a long, long time since the Knights have had no off-season dramas. I can't even remember the last time it happened and I'm even tempted to say it's been too quiet.

What I will say though, is that while we had a good last eight rounds last year, we had a similar run at the back of 2013 and the wheels fell off rather quickly in 2014.

Difficult to say what's going to happen on the field, but hopefully the red-and-blue faithful turn out in numbers - long range forecast says sunny with a top of 25 next Saturday. Good to have the footy back! :cool:

Apey

Staff member
Stop saying we've had no off-season dramas, there's still time!

Eddie.

Bench
Interesting game here. Have tipped both sides to make the 8 although barely in Newcastle's case. The Warriors have talent to burn but just find ways to lose games. You would think with an afternoon kick off their will be plenty of points in this one.

Warriors 30
Knights 26

natheel

Coach
Warriors, watching them in the trial v Penrith it looks like their forwards have really been tightened up by the addition of Thompson and Hoffman. Add the class of Tomkins and Johnson i think potentially they could run riot but traditionally they start of slowly.

Warriors by 10

Latest posts