What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

brendothejet

First Grade
Is the current crowd average.

Do we have it in us to sustain it?

Big fixtures between the three QLD teams mean a series of big crowds in QLD throughout the year. Melbourne's continued succes will see their season average grow. A competitive NZ will go a long way to providing 16-17k a week and the same goes for Newcastle.

It then falls on the Dogs, Tigers and Souths in sydney. I can't see the dragons helping much this year except in games against these teams and the roosters.

Personally I think we have the capability to get it up and keep it up.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If Cronulla can hold form there's no reason they can't average 16-17k at worst.

If the Dogs hold form, anything below 18-19k is unacceptable.

Souths must hold form if they're to maintain their averages.

Brisbane GC and NQ are all vital obviously to get those big numbers in.

Farva

Juniors
I'm pretty confident that average will stay pretty much the same.
You need to consider the fact that there has been some pretty sh*te weather for quite a few games that would have kept the crowds down a bit.

Timmah

Staff member
Given in previous seasons the average has been a few thousand less I can't see a significant enough spike to make it hit 18k.

Nook

Bench
As you say it depends on the Sydney teams Brendo.

When a couple get a roll on it generates a real buzz around the footy and kickstarts better attendances in the rest of Sydney. When the Sydney teams are struggling the comp feels flat (as it did during stages of 2006). When a couple are really firing then things really light up (as they did in 2005).

If two or three of the Sydney teams really get rolling I reckon we'll give the record a good shake. It is something to aim for. I don't see 18,000 happening for a while though.

Notell

Juniors
Farva said:
I'm pretty confident that average will stay pretty much the same.
You need to consider the fact that there has been some pretty sh*te weather for quite a few games that would have kept the crowds down a bit.

If the weather has been "sh*te", and given that it is expected to change for the better, would you not think that the average would therefore increase? Or did you as usual just not think at all?

JW

Coach
Can't see 18,000 at this stage but beating 17,000 for the first time is a real possibility this season I feel. Sydney in particular has had some comparitively ordinary weather to start this season yet overall the crowds are still going along nicely. Plently of clubs are expecting solid increases this season for a variety of reasons and already there's been some good showings for some usually low drawing sides (Souths being an obvious example).

The Queensland teams should continue to add a good number to the total too. The Cowboys virtually fill DFS every home game, but if their form continues there will more house full signs than not. The Titans have got a few big games penciled in for Suncorp which will assure them an excellent maiden season crowd-wise - 20,000+ I reckon. Brisbane should expect 35,000ish despite form.

Melbourne continue to improve their numbers also and I think they'll be in for a bigger jump this year if they continue to be one of the benchmark sides.

The winter slump will come but if we continue to get the odd big crowd each round we can certainly maintain a healthy average and improve the record by season's end.

SilverSteeler

Juniors
Hell yeah it will stay at 18,000 the best matchs are yet to come.

Look at the hype between Sydney teams, the Dogs vs Souths. That produced 34,000.

bazza

Immortal
I guess it will finish up averaging about 16,500 - which would be a great result as it would be the highest average ever and achieved when an extra team was added in

ouwet

Bench
SilverSteeler said:
Hell yeah it will stay at 18,000 the best matchs are yet to come.

Look at the hype between Sydney teams, the Dogs vs Souths. That produced 34,000.

This weekend the undefeated Manly team take on the 'back in form' Bulldogs... No hype at all! haven't heard a thing about it... The crowd will be between 16-18K IMO (If lucky)... Manly people travel in HUGE numbers across the Bridge (Spit Bridge), all 4 of them.:oops:

Besides the Bulldogs, Tiger's and maybe South's and St George (On there day) no other team supporters travel 30MINS away (Lazy f**ks).

legend

Coach
The Eels and Panthers game should record close to 20k as well.

I actually think the Raiders may get 13k against the Chooks if the weather is good, regardless of how either team is travelling.

Timmah

Staff member
I think they played well against Manly, just that last 15-20 minutes they ran out of steam.

Farva

Juniors
Notell said:
If the weather has been "sh*te", and given that it is expected to change for the better, would you not think that the average would therefore increase? Or did you as usual just not think at all?

Calm down,

The orginal post asked whether the crowds could be 'sustained'. I simply added that i thought that they could be

My comment referring to the poor weather suggests that the average could have been bigger. In terms of if increasing over the course of the year? No. I do not think that. Obviously in the opening round we have blockbuster games that will draw bigger than normal weeks ( Titan-Dragons and Broncos-Cowboys). As this is not a weekly occurrence, the figures would not be representative of the entire season.

t-ba

Post Whore
16.5k-17.5k by seasons end imo.

If the NRL bothered to advertise properly, there'd be no troubles reaching 18k.

The real killer is the rounds surrounding Origin. Regardless of the format, it does terrible things for crowds. Playing it as a stand alone fixture on the weekend has killed the momentum of the regular season in the past, and the Wednesday match takes the best players out for, at best, the round before the match (and oftentimes the next round too).

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Auckland should have the Warriors confiscated from them, for being sh*tty supporters. Wellington should get the Warriors, 34,500 fans every home game. It'll be huge!!!

Latest posts