What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

18 months on the 'deadwood'

Alex28

Coach
Smith could have got the club to retain Quinn, Midley, White, Royal, Sargent and even Bedsy if he thought they were worth the money on offer elsewhere - so they are all Smith discards.

Hinton
Quinn
Midley
Carmont
Gordon
Bailey
Walsh
Perry
Buderus
Snowden
Abes
Tanner
Lowrie

Sarge
Wooly
Quigs
Royal

Tighe
White
Ling

All Newcastle boys.
All Smith discards.
Please...can we get away from this notion that the team needs to be made up of locals? We see this bullsh*t enough on the The Herald's website when the team has not been going well. Now the team is flying where are the ones deathriding them now?

Plus Sarge was hardly a Newcastle boy. Came to us from the Cowboys, grew up in Canowindra. Not a Newcastle boy.

And to be quite frank Roop - besides Buderus and Gidley, I wouldn't want any of them in the team presently any way. And long-term we were probably better off letting them go at the time to get the blokes we have now (such as De Gois for example).

I'm all for the "Our Team, Our Town" thing but you don't have to be born in Newcastle or be playing Flegg for the Knights to be part of the team or town. Honestly - if we had half of that squad still we'd be competing with the Sharks for the bottom of the ladder...

IanG

Coach
Not to mention the forced retirement of one Andrew Johns. Mind you that probably would've happened anyway.

Pika

Bench
I thought this thread was about the 2007 clean out, not a comprehensive list of players not retained over the last three years.

Seriously roopy, have you ever heard the term 'clean out' or 'deadwood' associated with the likes of Quigley, Bedsy, Gidley and Sarg?

Hinton was fringe at best.

Gordon is still injured.

Walsh left as he ws not getting a start, a month ago.

Abes was a long term injury risk.

Lingy was just a fringe player.

Harfly part of the sweeping change of NRL level players who were part of the 2007 clean out.

Hanscholo

Bench
I think 3 or 4 of the SL teams have a pretty good roster. Maybe 1 or 2 of those sides would have a shot at the 8 in australia. Then there is a dramatic fall off, and the rest sides are probably worse than QLD cup, their defence is woeful, with maybe one marquee type signing to hold it all together. The NRL's depth is far superior, our worst team would go close to being their best over the course of a season.

aqua_duck

Coach
And currently selling treadmills in Liverpool Westfields, Sydney. He annoyed me to no end during the debacle but sad sight to see this fella trying to make a buck selling dodgy exercise equipment in a shopping center.
the bloke made more money in his 3 years with us than most people will see in a decade

Alex28

Coach
And currently selling treadmills in Liverpool Westfields, Sydney. He annoyed me to no end during the debacle but sad sight to see this fella trying to make a buck selling dodgy exercise equipment in a shopping center.
Don't feel sorry for him at all to be honest. 2007 wouldn't be half as painful as it was if he didn't play out his contract issues in the media.

MC DUI

Juniors
Smith could have got the club to retain Quinn, Midley, White, Royal, Sargent and even Bedsy if he thought they were worth the money on offer elsewhere - so they are all Smith discards.

Hinton
Quinn
Midley
Carmont
Gordon
Bailey
Walsh
Perry
Buderus
Snowden
Abes
Tanner
Lowrie

Sarge
Wooly
Quigs
Royal

Tighe
White
Ling

All Newcastle boys.
All Smith discards.

Our current team would wipe the floor with that mob. 3/4 are terrible.